PDA

View Full Version : 748 Air Services in South Sudan accident?

wabulabantu
24th Dec 2009, 10:41
I assume that this article is referring to 748 Air Services and not a HS 748. Assumedly one of their Dash-8's? Does anyone know if the plane was damaged at all and was it able to fly out of Tonj? The below is from the Sudan Vision newspaper

Press Release - SUNA 24/12/09

The State Minister in the Presidency, Joseph Lual Achuil, issued Tuesday at press release on the unestablished information about a plane accident in South Sudan (Tonj). Hereunder SUNA publishes full text of the press release: "It has come to our attention through several media and news agencies of unestablished information about a plane accident in South Sudan (Tonj). We would like to give the right picture of the accident as it happened in my presence at Tonj Air Strip. It was a 748 plane carrying advance team (guards) of H.E. Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit, the First Vice President of the Sudan and the President of Government of South Sudan, to Tonj Warrap State on Saturday, Dec. 19, 2009. The said plane landed and due to reasons beyond the control of the flying crew, the plane over shot the airstrip and crossed the nearby road and over ran a passing by woman, which resulted into her death. The 36 passengers on board the plane all came out safe.

ab33t
24th Dec 2009, 13:07
Yes this certainly sounds like a African press release . No sorrow for the poor woman ..

Newforest2
24th Dec 2009, 14:07
748 Airservices do operate two HS.748's in addition to four other aircraft.

UN-Coordinated
25th Dec 2009, 12:02
Heard there was damage to the nose gear and one of the wings. Guess the A/C will be in Tonj for a while !

748 has been operating a scheduled service into South Sudan from Juba for a month or so now, as opposed to their normal charter operation, with 2 x HS748 & 1 x C-208.

Saw the DHC-8-100 on the ramp in Juba yesterday, so guess that has been bought in to replace the stricken A/C in Tonj

UN-Coordinated
30th Dec 2009, 07:17
Spoke to 748 station manager this am.

Aircraft is a write off, one wing broken (off ?) nose and main gear sheared off !

Yet another "outer marker" in Sudan !

Spanner748
25th Mar 2010, 09:12
How can I get in touch with 748 Air Services, I am seeking for HS748 captains to be based in South Asia. Thanks much.

BB954
6th Apr 2010, 13:11
Spanner 748

Does the country involved allow captains over the age of 65? If so I might be interested.

Experienced, retired, 748 captain.