PDA

View Full Version : Alpa crew sched question

rigpiggy
23rd Dec 2009, 21:45
I just basically was told by my scheduling rep to piss up a rope though company didn't award based upon seniority, and I grieved it. Now since I am getting no support from said rep, what is my next step

Grendel
26th Dec 2009, 14:53
What does your contract say? Does the contract say that the company awards trips based on seniority or not?

A grievance rep can only challenge the interpretation of an existing collective bargaining agreement. What does the agreement say? If it does not address the question at hand then you have no recourse.

If the contract states that schedules are awarded in a seniority order you have a valid grievance and furthermore your rep is required to forward it. Because the law allows only one bargaining agent and because that entity is the exclusive bargaining agent then that agent, ALPA, owes a duty of fair representation to its members.

The Railway Labor Act says that the parties shall make and maintain agreements on rates of pay and working conditions.

You have a valid grievance if the contract states that schedules are awarded in seniority order.

captjns
28th Dec 2009, 15:30
Hey Rigpippy... you should direct your concern to your shop steward or ALPA scheduling committee. After all... that's why you pay dues to ALPA... isn't it?