PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm then Army?

ben0
23rd Dec 2009, 04:18
Hi all, im really wanting to apply for military service as a pilot. I am wanting to apply for the fleet air arm soon. Does anybody know whether I am elegible to apply for the army as a pilot IF the fleet air arm doesnt work out?

Cheers

Widger
23rd Dec 2009, 08:02
Ben0

You have failed at the first hurdle, twice.

You will soon be inundated with posts about the search function on Pprune but also, in the FAA you will be navy first, Pilot second and in the Army, Soldier first, Pilot second. Whilst I understand you aspiration to fly, you need to have a long chat with yourself first. Do a search and you will find many similar comments regarding this.

I wish you all the very best in your quest.

Widger

calumwm
23rd Dec 2009, 08:06
you can't just join the AAC, you have to have had soldier service first, and get to a certain rank before you're eligible to even apply to become a pilot.
And as for being able to join the FAA, have you looked at the entry requirements? do you have 20/20 vision? i agree with widger, you do need to have a long chat with yourself... all the best though!

Tourist
23rd Dec 2009, 09:36
Ben,
Ignore the previous posters, they have no idea.
Yes, if the Navy says no, then you can apply to the Army and RAF.
You can join both to be a Pilot from the outset.
Whilst technically in the FAA you are a naval officer first, and in the Army you are an Army officer first, it makes no difference to your life.I am not qualified to drive a ship!
Anyway, in the RAF you are a big girls blouse first, pilot second.

covec
23rd Dec 2009, 09:42
Tourist I am ex-crab aircrew - and also ex-MN.

I seem to remember that the RN were the BBGB's when it came to sorting differences out in the odd pub dispute with us MN types............mind you I grant that some of the MN ABs were more like pirates in more ways than one....'nuff said on that.

The back streets of Marseille, Yokohama and Ventjspils were way too tough for RN types......:}

However, I would agree with Tourist - try AAC or FAA first. Although why not have a shot at Infantry or RM Commission first?

Good luck - and Merry Christmas.

calumwm
23rd Dec 2009, 10:18
tourist; you dont need to be an officer to be a pilot in the AAC, which begs the question who has no idea?

getsometimein
23rd Dec 2009, 10:28
You do to be a direct entrant pilot if memory serves...

calumwm
23rd Dec 2009, 10:46
oh lol, i've only chatted with the NCO pilots in NI, and when one of their islanders were at fairford last year, i've yet to meet an officer pilot :}

LateArmLive
23rd Dec 2009, 11:10
That's a brilliant story Calum, got any more?

Ben,

You can apply to any service you want, in any order you want (or all at once.) Please note that the preferred option for many is to apply to the RAF, get rejected, join the FAA and then bitterly complain about the crabs (with a cracking chip on one's shoulder) for the rest of your career.

All the best whichever route you choose.

Tourist
23rd Dec 2009, 11:34
Calum
If he is applying to become a pilot in the FAA then he must, one would hope have the academic requirements to be a officer, so why on earth would he apply to the Army as an oik?
Covec.
I'm ex 847. Never seen so many people who deploy with a duvet as your booties, blouse-boy!

Jackonicko
23rd Dec 2009, 11:49
Now this is at least an interesting twist on the usual inter-service pi$$ing contest. Fishead versus Booty.

Go on Tourist, you tell him! I'll hold your handbag.

If you did work hard enough at school, join the air power professionals, if you didn't, then, as my noble friend so eloquently put it: "apply to the RAF, get rejected, join the FAA and then bitterly complain about the crabs (with a cracking chip on one's shoulder) for the rest of your career."

And if you didn't go to school, then join the cabbage eaters.

And if you're not good enough for any of them, and are a cynical old tw@t, then become a journo!

Seriously, though, banter aside, it's important to realise that there is no automatic route to becoming a military pilot, and contrary to the impression sometimes given here, the lowliest pilot in any of the services is very much a quality individual, way above average, and with personal qualities that are outstanding. You need confidence and ability to join their number, but also, at this stage, just a little humility. Respect to you all.

Even the fisheads!

Widger
23rd Dec 2009, 12:20
Dear all,

Banter accepted!

My point was, that if matey boy goes to the OASC and says I want to join to Fly, he will be accepted with open arms.

If he goes to the AIB and says he wants to fly, he will most likely be accepted but they will require convincing that it is the RN he wants to join, along with all the other c@@p that goes with flying from boats.

If he goes to the Army, they will want to know that he wants to live in ditches before they even consider him.

I accept Tourist's view that he can join straight up as aircrew but as he well knows (an he is being dis-ingenuous if he denies it) the AIB is not populated by the FAA but by Bubbleheads, Fisheads and Engineers.

One positive thing to say about the RAF, is that if he goes to selection saying he wants to fly, at least that will be taken at face value.

Did think of adding some witty remark about 847 but I am currently having to come to terms with the humungous rib of beef Mrs W has just bought for chritsmas. Enough to feed hundreds and cost a flamin fortune!

Czech MaShortz
23rd Dec 2009, 14:36
BenO,

If you want to fly, why is your first choice not to join the RAF ? There is more opportunity in the field of aviation, should you not achieve your immediate aspirations. Simply put - if you want to fly, join the RAF - the clue is in the title.

vecvechookattack
23rd Dec 2009, 15:00
Simply put - if you want to fly, join the RAF - the clue is in the title.

It may be considered flying but its hardly exciting is it? I mean, the runway is always flat, long and is always in the same place it was when you left it.

Tourist
23rd Dec 2009, 15:26
Czech MaShortz,

"If you want to fly, why is your first choice not to join the RAF ?"

I'll give you a reason.
The constant whingeing on Pprune at all times about absolutely everything from all the crabs.
You do not find that from either the FAA or the Army.
This is because we love our jobs.
Fly Navy
Dig Army
Eat Crab

ps
"There is more opportunity in the field of aviation, should you not achieve your immediate aspirations. "
Really?
There are RN guys flying everything from Harriers to F18 to apache to V22 to Multis to SH

Pheasant
23rd Dec 2009, 15:31
I accept Tourist's view that he can join straight up as aircrew but as he well knows (an he is being dis-ingenuous if he denies it) the AIB is not populated by the FAA but by Bubbleheads, Fisheads and Engineers.

Matters not. Before you reach the AIB you have to go to OASC to pass the aptitude tests and only then will you be boarded by the AIB. Assuming you have passed OASC tests then your boarding team at AIB will have an aircrew member.

Any Service flying is fantastic fun, but each offers a differing perspective. If you are dead set on FW then clearly the RAF is the way to go (but the FAA offers the FW route to the very best of its candidates - you have to be special because it is single seat FJ or nothing - there is even the possibility of training through the USMC rather than the RAF system). If you fancy flying in the most challenging environment (maritime and lots of foreign visits) then the FAA is for you. If it is an Apache and Afghanistan you hanker after then the AAC offers the excitement (but I recommend talking to an Apache pilot about his quality of life).

Best of luck.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Dec 2009, 16:19
I'm ex 847. Never seen so many people who deploy with a duvet as your booties, blouse-boy!

Which brings to mind that any fool can deploy and be uncomfortable.

I remember the Tankers in Desert Storm carried picnic chairs on their tanks. :}

TheWizard
23rd Dec 2009, 17:16
It may be considered flying but its hardly exciting is it? I mean, the runway is always flat, long and is always in the same place it was when you left it.

Because flying from a floating box and flying around over miles and miles of nothing but water is hugely exciting isn't it?:zzz:

Mike Oxbig
23rd Dec 2009, 17:37
I agree with Pheasant - you need to think about what you want to fly. If fixed wing, I would also suggest the Crabs; if rotary, the the FAA is the best option. All service flying offers challenges, but flying back to the deck at night when it is harry roughers certainly concentrates the mind. You can also do that with the Harrier - but single engine over the sea at night, on goggles is not my idea of fun (plus I don't think I am good enough!!).

I don't want to be a stovie, I don't want to fly a jet,
I'd rather fly around, with wings that go around,
2 engines on my Westland Seaking!

And the RN uniform looks far, far better!!

Good luck.

tarantonight
23rd Dec 2009, 17:48
Ben0,

My old man, and his oppos, use to say the FAA ws the Best Flying Club in The World. Things have changed a bit, but I think he still has a point.

As previous posts have said, to join the AAC you have to be a proper soldier first.

You know it makes sense....................................

vecvechookattack
23rd Dec 2009, 18:10
And your old man and his oppo's were correct. The Fleet Air Arm is the best flying club in the world with the best aviators, the best maintainers and the best aircraft.

Remember that you may leave the Royal Navy but you are always a member of the Fleet Air Arm.

endplay
23rd Dec 2009, 18:37
Everyone has an opinion of the other Services, usually biased, and almost always second hand in that is viewed from the outside looking in. In my time in the RAF I met loads of ex Army/Navy who had crossed over to light blue but never knew anybody who went the other way (with the notable exception of RAF Regt to SAS). This could mean nothing of course but it could also indicate that once people knew the score they made the sensible decision they should have made originally.

Just a thought.

Aerouk
23rd Dec 2009, 19:30
Everyone has an opinion of the other Services, usually biased, and almost always second hand in that is viewed from the outside looking in. In my time in the RAF I met loads of ex Army/Navy who had crossed over to light blue but never knew anybody who went the other way (with the notable exception of RAF Regt to SAS). This could mean nothing of course but it could also indicate that once people knew the score they made the sensible decision they should have made originally.

Just a thought. Or... that the RAF don't meet the standards of the RN.... *runs for cover* :}.

vecvechookattack
23rd Dec 2009, 19:32
In my time in the RAF I met loads of ex Army/Navy who had crossed over to light blue but never knew anybody who went the other way

On my last Squadron we had an Ex AAC pilot and an Ex RAF Puma pilot. Both no flying RN Rotary.

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Dec 2009, 19:39
Well thats 1 then, the AAC chap does not count, some folk will do absolutely anything to get out of the Army :ok:

vecvechookattack
23rd Dec 2009, 19:43
And then there was the AAC bloke who ended up at Culdrose flying the Sea King.

And the RAF fella who is now in the bag world.... droll....

Pontius
24th Dec 2009, 00:01
In my time in the RAF I met loads of ex Army/Navy who had crossed over to light blue but never knew anybody who went the other way

We had two crustaceans that saw the light and were deemed good enough to wear dark blue. There was also another who tried but wasn't allowed. He was a top bloke but, in the opinion of their Lordships, his time left in service was not enough to justify the transfer.

This was on the SHAR, so, two out of a total of 15 (or whatever it was :)) and that included the ship's cat, is quite a high percentage. Luckily they sent the good guys to the Sea Jet (apart from you Spon. I know you read this drivel sometimes :}).

teeteringhead
24th Dec 2009, 07:32
BenO .. whatever you decide, you need to huury up if your age is accurate ....

.... surprised everyone's been too busy point scoring to notice... (no I'm not :()

Seriously, if you are 23, first question from any recruiter is what have you done towards military and/or flying so far?

Cadets, URNU/UOTC/UAS, PPL whatever..... and if not, why not?

MaroonMan4
24th Dec 2009, 15:41
BenO,

Just go with your heart - you sound level headed and I would be surprised if you were seeking a life/career decision on PPrune posts!

In my humble opinion, it will soon not matter and you will be serving as part of an air wing of the UK Defence Force - one uniform, one single service and one career.

Whether right or wrong is immaterial - finances will sadly force you and I to this inevitable conclusion (which may stop the puerile willy waving in previous posts and actually unite us as H M Forces against the Treasury and MoD civil serpents that actively try and 'divide and conquer' for their own gains).

Just do it - work out what you want to fly, and predominantly in which environment, and if you are good enough then the world will be your oyster, and as alluded to above - nothing is fixed and if the demand in a particular area/Service is not being matched then there will be more opportunities should your preferred choice not come to fruitition.

Flik Roll
24th Dec 2009, 17:33
To join the AAC you don't have to be a soldier first. They take direct from RMAS. If you want to join from the ranks then yes you do have to do a couple of years soldiering but it doesn't have to be in the inf.

Tourist
24th Dec 2009, 18:51
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/sweyn1/Sucks.jpg

ralphmalph
24th Dec 2009, 21:30
Tourist....I just love that....hit the nail on the head!

Have a happy Christmas!

Ralph

vecvechookattack
24th Dec 2009, 21:30
Fantastic cartoon. My only comment would be regarding the RAF chap being in a uniform....surely not..

Two's in
26th Dec 2009, 23:43
To join the AAC you don't have to be a soldier first. They take direct from RMAS. If you want to join from the ranks then yes you do have to do a couple of years soldiering but it doesn't have to be in the inf.

"Soldier First" is an ethos, not a qualification. It simply means that whatever you might do for your shilling while serving with Aviation, you are always expected to be a professional soldier first, commissioned or enlisted. Operating the Apache has driven this point home more than any vague doctrinal fluff ever could.

Dundiggin'
27th Dec 2009, 20:32
Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnn!!

Get a life.........take 'endplay's' advice all the rest is conjecture...:}

minigundiplomat
28th Dec 2009, 09:37
I would suggest that the flow of people from the AAC and RAF to the RN has relaxed since the sexual orientation ban was lifted, with no other reason to join a 'soon to be defunct' FAA.

Though, as stated, some will do anything to leave the Army.:ok:

Flik Roll
28th Dec 2009, 14:40
Two's In,

I know about ethos; the same applies to the other forces. I was merely indicating that you do not need to be a SOLDIER as in OTHER RANK first in order to be a pilot which is what someone hinted at.

Two's in
28th Dec 2009, 21:20
Flik,

Glad to hear that, and indeed, while enlisting to fly works for many in the Army, there are multiple points of failure in that career path to make it a very hard path to follow. It's not that the other stuff along the way isn't also great fun to do, but if you are absolutely determined to fly, there are far quicker ways to get there than enlisting in the Army.

STANDTO
29th Dec 2009, 15:42
Had PPrune existed in the eighties, I would now be flying navy, as opposed to a desk for the plod.

I was to RAF focussed, which was a nistake as all I wanted to do was fly choppers. Given my time around again today, AAC, FAA, RAF in that order.

you live and learn :sad:

Tourist
29th Dec 2009, 18:37
"I was to RAF focussed, which was a nistake"

May I be the first to suggest that the order should be :- school, AAC, FAA, RAF ;)