PDA

View Full Version : Doing your flight training in the USA, then and now

Photon85
22nd Dec 2009, 08:06
It does seem like a lot of Europeans who want to get their tickets and experience do so through flight training in the USA. It's also the general "rule" to work in the USA as a flight instructor to get that first job, and to get those first 600-1000 hours.

It does seem however, that the CFI route is going to start becoming less of an option with the removal of the J-1 type visa. As of 2010, it no longer exists.
According to AOPA, the DHS and the parties involved are trying to reach a solution for a Visa that mimics the J-1 Visa, does anyone have any more info on that?
It also seems like some schools are trying to issue F-1 visas instead of the J-1 visas to try and circumnavigate this problem, any thoughts or ideas about that?

I wonder how the "training and experience across the pond" option is going to change the coming year

ab33t
22nd Dec 2009, 12:12
I have contacted several schools and they say , standby as they are working on another visa option. Who they is is the question HMS ?

Photon85
22nd Dec 2009, 12:26
From what I can deduce from several AOPA articles, it seems to be a work in progress (articles in chronological order):

AOPA Online: Work-study visas for flight students set to end (http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080717visa.html)

AOPA Online: Foreign flight students get alternative to J-1 visa (http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080917visa.html)

AOPA Online: Future of J-1 visa training program up in air (http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/091015j1.html?WT.mc_id=091016epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan)

AOPA Online: As deadline nears, GA groups seek future for training visa (http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/091103j1.html?WT.mc_id=091106epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan)

It seems that, at one point it was a surefire thing that a new visa was in place, now however nothing is certain, and unless they manage to figure out some kind of alternative, there wont be one for some time.

Only alternatives then are the M1 visa, and the F-1 visa.

The M1 visa does not allow you to work and get paid, so that's out of the question if one is looking for the CFI gig.
The F-1 visa, I think only a very few schools have, and probably for the most part the big universities who also offer bachelors etc. However, working on the F-1 seems to also have some limitations.

If anyone has an inside scoop, do tell.

edit: HMS is "Homeland Security", if that was your question

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 14:03
Dunno what's gonna happen next in regards to DHS and the GA groups right now.
I think them, and AOPA have pretty large lobbying groups, so I get a feeling that some solution will be made, if not, a lot of those schools are just going to have to close their doors.

I know of at least one of these 8 schools who went from J-1 to the F-1 visa, with no real change, but I think getting approved is a lengthy process

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 17:13
You are right in regards to the 20 hours while working on campus rule.
I think however, that what most of the flight schools are going to use is the "Post-Completion Practical Training", no one generally works more than 12 months in any case, as the normal J-1 program was 1 year of study and 1 year of work

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 18:32
True, I only know of 1 of the 8 who just got their F1 status, however, they do not provide any type of academic course, so I'm not sure what kind of twist they did to get it

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 20:11
Mhm. They only provide part 141/61 flight training, so I'm not sure how they qualify, but then again, I'm by no means an expert

chrisbl
23rd Dec 2009, 20:25
If you had bothered to read their website you will see that their training give credits for a number of university programs. Ie the academic bit.

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 20:43
so what's stopping everyone else from changing over to the F-1 visa then?
If the only qualification you need is flight training leading to a certificate

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 21:44
Well if you read your own link, and about F1 visa regulations, yes they can.

That former J-1 school did get approved to issue the F-1 visa with their flight training program, and again, they do seem to have a program that makes students able to work for them under the concept that they are "working in their field".

From what I understand, this 20 hour rule that you refer to, is the 20 hour rule that governs working on campus WHEN you are studying.

What I, and I think also the link that you are referring to is aiming at, is the post-completion practical training, which does NOT have an hour limit (as far as I can see)

Photon85
23rd Dec 2009, 23:04
No, but under the assumption that all flight instructing by the student will be done under Post-Completion Practical Training, then it would seem, that for this particular flight school, nothing but a bit more paperwork changes