PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Jjet opportunistically

WhiskeyTango99
20th Dec 2009, 16:40
I was hoping to get two basic thoughts vetted by the members here.

1. What aircraft under $5mm are "cheap"? Defined as highly desirable from a cost of operations and usability standpoint and trading well below replacement cost. Or said another way ..if you could buy any plane you wanted for your family of 4 to fly domestically, East coast to Texas the main missions...What would you buy ?..and why ? ..What's the right budget ?

Like most naive buyers I guess, I gravitated to the $1mm GIIIs for all of the obvious reasons. Then after reading a few threads I got the idea that the cost of the plane was going to be an additional 2.5mm over 5 years duee to semis then the thing was going to be parted out ..so it depreciates by 3 mm or so in 5 years ..then you have s3 problems, high burn so on and so forth so the low entry cost is a mirage.

(BTW ..is there a model for all in cost out there somewhere? w/ asset specific operating details, depreciation etc built in ?)

2. What tips do you have for crew management ?
I fly 150-200 hours a year. What to do about all the idle time for the crew ?

In case you wondered ..I looked hard at fractionals..aside from the fact they charge you for 100% dead legs + full price for the asset ..it may be a little cheaper.. but the way I see it a taxi is probly cheaper than my car ..but I still buy my own cars.

Thanks in advance. (Any other tips on the subject greatly appreciated)