PDA

View Full Version : Camera choice help.

One9iner
20th Dec 2009, 15:45
Apologies, I'm re-posting something I already asked in JB; but I need a quick answer...

--------------
My old man has all of a sudden sprung my old dear for a new camera for xmas. Dad hasn't left Mum with much time; and I'm as clueless as she is.

Therefore, can anyone kindly point us in the right way for a decent bit of kit?

- my old man already has an SLR, used to have an old school pentax, until it got nicked from his boot, and would love a bit of tech which he can use on a daily basis, and won't be impressed by some budget model.

If our budget is £150-250 can anyone recommend a good product?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
19er

frostbite
20th Dec 2009, 16:37
I'm more than happy with the Panasonic Lumix purchased about a year ago.

Good quality Leica lens, decent zoom range and many useful features.

student88
20th Dec 2009, 16:49
Buy the best Panasonic Lumix you can get for your money. Mine's a fantastic camera. I have a SLR for important shots but use my Panasonic for fun. Films great video quality too. You won't be disappointed.

Capetonian
20th Dec 2009, 17:12
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ30.JPG

Fully agree on the Panasonic Lumix. I bought one about 2 years ago at a Mediamarkt in Holland, paid about €300 for it and it's given outstanding performance. It is easy to use, light, compact, and well featured.

The photograph below was taken using the optical + the digital zoom on full zoom, handheld, and the monastery was about 3 miles from my position.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_t8tQq3yXstk/RqMmaFXUwmI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/TnhqrC3nyGc/s640/P1020284.JPG

Background Noise
20th Dec 2009, 20:38
If, by daily basis, you mean 'compact' then you could do a lot worse than the Panasonic TZ7. It has a Leica lens, 12x zoom from a good (25mm) wide angle, 10Mpixel and a massively impressive 720p HD video mode which is awesome played back direct via HDMI on an HD TV. I've got an FZ7 too (similar to the one above) which is good but this one is equally as good as a still camera and has the HD video.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmczs3.asp) (note US model number differs from UK)

Available in UK for about £235. There's a version without the HD video (TZ6) for about £180.

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs3-camera.jpg

AFEmc
20th Dec 2009, 21:03
Yep, It's got to be said - Panasonic Lumix. I've had a DMC FZ7 for a couple of years or more now and I love it. It takes great photo's, it's very versatile and it's pretty robust too! Miss AFEmc has dropped it onto rock twice :uhoh: and me once with no apparent damage.
Get one. :ok:

Keef
20th Dec 2009, 22:46
I've got the big Panasonic Lumix like the one pictured above, and it's excellent. It does all I've ever wanted of a camera, and I can drive it, too!

I tried the little "pocket" model and was less impressed.

Granddaughter 1 borrowed mine for some school project, and I only got it back when her mum bought her the same model for her own.

You won't regret it!

Oh - and get a spare battery as well (not expensive) and make sure you have a reasonable size memory card for it. Mine's 2GB which is enough for me. You don't want to be forever changing cards.

ZEEBEE
21st Dec 2009, 05:59
Keef,

You can't really go wrong with any of the Panasonic Lumix's.

I have the FZ-2,FZ30,FZ-8,FZ28 and they're the best for all round shooting.

The latest in the line is the FZ-35/38 and it has an X18 optical zoom lens, face-recognition, HD Movie capability and a lens that is both crisp and fast.

Cheers

obgraham
21st Dec 2009, 06:28
Canon Powershots are great cameras also, in a number of different sizes/prices/configurations.

But you should buy 2 of them, because sooner or later you will get the dreaded "Error 18", your camera will lock up, and you'll have to pull out your backup.

The late XV105
21st Dec 2009, 08:26
I've just been through the same hoop, wanting to buy a high quality compact super zoom for the occasions when lugging my heavy DSLR is inappropriate.

My choice came down to Canon versus Panasonic (Lumix), but the latter were ejected from the equation on a point of principle when I learned that they have "chipped" batteries that lock you to genuine replacements at forty quid a pop.

This left Canon and their SX20 (near DSLR body size so not exactly compact but 20x optical zoom) and SX200 (compact and 12x optical zoom). I ended up purchasing the SX200 (http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/canon-powershot-sx200-is-12x-zoom-digital-camera.jpg) last week and am delighted with it. Storming picture quality, the 12x optical zoom, 720 HD video, fast operation, large clear display, and all the control features that as a photographer of nearly forty years I seek. It is nicely made too, and has the fancy features such as face recognition (one of the self timer options is to set it to wait until another face - yours - walks in to frame, then take three shots) if that's your bag. I don't need it, but I have tried it, and it works nicely!

Since buying it I have added the CHDK (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief) firmware hack to add RAW format files and to allow optical zoom during video :) Works a charm, without modifying the Canon firmware; the hack is few files placed on the SD card that are read when the camera is booted and then held in volatile memory. The hack adds or in some cases unlocks loads of features as well as the two that I wanted, all accessed by pressing the PictBridge "print" button in playback mode, and then pressing the Menu button. Lo and behold a well structured and comprehensive menu of the addition features is then displayed.

Canon UK have a £45 cashback deal at the moment, so I paid £175 (£220 from Amazon less the cashback). A bargain, and if it is as utterly reliable as every other Canon I've owned, I'll still be saying the same in years to come.

Heliport
21st Dec 2009, 10:50
My choice came down to Canon versus Panasonic (Lumix), but the latter were ejected from the equation on a point of principle when I learned that they have "chipped" batteries that lock you to genuine replacements at forty quid a pop.

:confused:

I bought a spare battery on the internet for my Lumix FZ28 @ a fraction of that price.
No problem using it, and just as good life as the manufacturer's original.

Background Noise
21st Dec 2009, 11:05
It depends on the firmware - the newer Lumix have firmware which prevents them using non-panasonic batteries - at least until someone produces chipped batteries (if they haven't already done so). Panasonic claims this was necessary for the protection of its customers due to some aftermarket 3rd party batteries not meeting its safety standards against overcharging, internal heating and short circuiting.

frostbite
21st Dec 2009, 11:49
I bought a spare battery for my DMC-FZ18 for around £6 (IIRC) from 7dayshop.com.

Jet II
21st Dec 2009, 12:15
Another vote for Panasonic - I got the TZ65 out of duty free and have been well pleased.

ab33t
21st Dec 2009, 15:54
I have both earlier models of thses cameras , you cannot go wrong with either one

One9iner
21st Dec 2009, 16:16
Thanks for the help chaps. Lumix it is then!