PDA

View Full Version : Parent Rewarded For Child's Rowdy Behaviour On Plane

ONTPax
19th Dec 2009, 02:23
Part of the New World Order: Bring an ill-mannered kid on an airplane who ruins the flight for everyone else and be rewarded with a free flight and a $300. voucher toward a future flight!

What a deal! :D

ONTPax

Screaming kids and airplanes: Mayday! Mayday!

Parents don't have a right to get on a jet with unruly children. In fact, they're stealing from the rest of us.

By Amy Alkon

November 24, 2009

A little late in making those Thanksgiving flight plans? Wondering how you could possibly afford your ticket -- that is, without putting a kidney up for sale on Craigslist? Good news! You can get a free flight home on Southwest plus a $300 travel voucher. Just do what I plan to -- get on a Southwest flight in the next few days, and when it's taking off, shout over and over, "Go, plane, go!" and "I want Daddy! I want Daddy!"

Pamela Root got the free flight and the voucher, plus an apology from Southwest, after her 2-year-old kept screaming those things at the top of his little lungs as their San Jose-bound flight was about to take off. In fact, little Adam reportedly screamed so loudly that the safety announcements couldn't be heard and the pilot turned the plane back to the gate in Amarillo, Texas, where the two were booted off.

Root was appalled when a flight attendant told her something to the effect of "We just can't tolerate that [screaming] for two hours," reported the San Jose Mercury News. Root insisted Adam would be "fine once we take off" -- which, in my book, means either "He'll be fine" or "It would be a serious pain in the butt to be stuck in Amarillo another day."

Unbelievably, Root demanded the apology she eventually got from the airline (shame, shame, Southwest) and hit it up for the cost of diapers and the portable crib she says she had to buy for the overnight stay. Even more unbelievably, there's still no word of any apology from Root to the other passengers.

There is a notion, reflected in numerous blog comments about the incident, that other passengers should "just deal" and "give a kid a break." This notion is wrong. Parents like Root and others who selfishly force the rest of us to pay the cost of their choices in life aren't just bothering us; they're stealing from us. Most people don't see it this way, because what they're stealing isn't a thing we can grab on to, like a wallet. They're stealing our attention, our time and our peace of mind.

More and more, we're all victims of these many small muggings every day. Our perp doesn't wear a ski mask or carry a gun; he wears Dockers and shouts into his iPhone in the line behind us at Starbucks, streaming his dull life into our brains, never considering for a moment whether our attention belongs to him. These little acts of social thuggery are inconsequential in and of themselves, but they add up -- wearing away at our patience and good nature and making our daily lives feel like one big wrestling smackdown.

Southwest sent the right message in yanking Root and her screaming boy off the plane. Unfortunately, it lacked the corporate courage to stand its ground, probably fearing a public relations nightmare from the Mommy Mafia. Yet, almost every day, I encounter parents who need to get the same message Root initially did. Trust me -- should I long to hear screaming children, I'll zip right past my favorite coffeehouse and go read my morning paper at Chuck E. Cheese.

I know, I know -- because I am not a parent I cannot possibly understand how hard it is to keep a child from acting out. Actually, that probably has more to do with the way I was raised -- by parents I describe as loving fascists. As a child, I was convinced that I could flap my arms and fly, but the idea that I could ever be loud in a public place that wasn't a playground simply did not exist for me.

I hear claims that some children are prone to tantrums no matter how exquisitely they are parented. If this describes your child, there's a solution, and it isn't plopping him in a crowded metal tube with hundreds of people who can't escape his screams except by throwing themselves to their deaths at 30,000 feet.

Granted, there sometimes are extenuating circumstances, reasons parents and their little hell-raiser simply must take a plane. Well, actually, there are two: dire family emergency (Granny's actually dying, not just dying to see the little tyke) and the need for a lifesaving operation for the wee screamer. In all other cases, if there's any chance a child is still in the feral stage, pop Granny on a flight or gas up the old minivan. It really does come down to this: Your right to bring your screaming child on a plane ends where the rest of our ears begin.

SOURCE:

Screaming kids and airplanes: Mayday! Mayday! -- latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-alkon24-2009nov24,0,2649186.story)

Abusing_the_sky
19th Dec 2009, 16:33
Don't get us started ONTPax...

:ugh:

:}

james solomon
19th Dec 2009, 16:57
Your supposed to reward your child if it behaves on the flight not if it behaves badly

FloridaCandle
20th Dec 2009, 21:08
What is the world coming to - aaaargh. :mad:

Shame on you Southwest. If this is where your priorities lie, then rest assured I won't be flying with you

qfcabin
20th Dec 2009, 22:21
I wonder if the three hundred bucks was to pre empt the multi million dollar lawsuit that the mum may have had in mind? Cheap insurance if so.

left bass
20th Dec 2009, 23:52
1. This may have been unusual behaviour for this child. Even the most well-behaved kids go mad occasionally, especially in an unfamiliar environment like an aircraft.

2. "We can't listen to that screaming for two hours" or words to that effect. Big assumption there.

3. "Parents who selfishly force the rest of us to pay the cost of their choices in life are stealing from us"? Well don't worry Amy and all the rest of you: you'll get your money back when all those screaming kids you resent are paying your pensions in a couple of decades.

Oh yes, unless you plan to keep a few decades worth of gold under your mattress, you'll need other peoples screaming kids to pay YOUR pension. Lots of them. And if you live in the US, where you're printing dollars like there's no tomorrow, that means BIG lots of other peoples' kids.

Don't get me wrong, I find it hard to take hours of screaming kids too. Especially when I'm on a rare break from my own. But I'll take a whole house full of bad tempered rowdy children over the smug attitudes expressed in this article - and this thread - any day of the week.

Abusing_the_sky
21st Dec 2009, 04:07
There is no such thing as "bad" kids, there is however, bad parenting.
If you can't control/educate your very own child, don't expect other people to control/educate him/her for you.

My 2 pennies anyway.

lowcostdolly
21st Dec 2009, 12:56
Have to say I agree wholeheartedly with ATS on this one.

All experienced CC know that babies and young children will scream on a plane usually on descent. It is their way of dealing involuntarily with pressurisation changes. It's why we don't mind the noise, we know they can't help it.

A young child of around two will also tantrum if they don't want to do something anywhere and push the boundries......a fact of life!!!

On a plane however a usually responsible parent who will control a child in any other situation seem to think the CC are now unpaid nannies and will do the job for them. Why :confused:

Only yesterday I told approx 4 year old junior to move into his non restricted seat and put his belt on when he was creating. His parents who were unable to handle this offered me a job :rolleyes:

Been there, done it, so declined. I now have my teen full of hormones to deal with!!! She, however, never disrupted a flight and complied with safety regs when she travelled as a young child.

That's because I had control as a parent as ATS says :ok:

pinkaroo
21st Dec 2009, 19:27
Left Bass, You are a classic example of yet another parent who believes their progeny are a gift to the rest of the world. Get over it. If I and others were'nt stuck paying for your child we could invest that money in our own futures. You breed it you feed it!

Abusing_the_sky
21st Dec 2009, 19:42
If I and others were'nt stuck paying for your child we could invest that money in our own futures. You breed it you feed it!

Bravo!

:D:D:D

Married a Canadian
22nd Dec 2009, 13:46
Whilst I agree with the general theme....it has to be said that you get people who go to the other extreme and automatically ASSUME that because you have a child on board that it is going to be a pain and ask to be reseated and that they can't sit next to a baby etc etc and make more of an issue of the situation than the child has done itself.

A couple of times now having flown with MAC junior we have had P****d off punters looking daggers at us for daring to bring a baby into the cabin and moaning to cabin crew about their seating. The kid had not uttered a peep.

For every "bad" parent out there that lets their kid get away with what was described at the start of the thread, there are many good ones who have to put up with the holier than thow adults.

You breed it you feed it!
I did and I do...so I don't need/want the flying public making assumptions about my kid just because there was one on southwest airlines that blah blah blah.

ONTPax
22nd Dec 2009, 19:01
Abusing the sky wrote:

Don't get us started ONTPax...

Looks as if everything is going as planned, right on schedule! **looks at watch**

Hee! Hee! You'se don't know me too well, do you? For enlightenment, just ask the Mods! ;)

Seriously, though, as the father of a four-year-old, I have to agree that good parenting can make a world of difference. Problem is, there's a lot of lousy parents. :mad:

A lot of times, all it takes to keep a kid happy is making sure his/her basic needs are being met. I ran across a mom once who was off in a different world as her kid was crying incessantly. Finally, I suggested that she investigate whether the kid had a soiled diaper.

Sure enough, he did. That's why he was crying. :ugh:

ONTPax

Abusing_the_sky
22nd Dec 2009, 20:57
A lot of times, all it takes to keep a kid happy is making sure his/her basic needs are being met... and also, may we suggest you (not you, ONTPax, i know exactly what you're like and yourself and the wee one are always welcome in any of our flights), as pax traveling with a young child, don't feed the little one millions of chocolate bars and other foods containing sugar while waiting for the airplane; it'll only make the child happy for 2 minutes and unhappy for 2 hours. Entertain the child, show him/her the airplanes on the tarmac, have a walk through the terminal, have a read of a children book, whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE THE CHILD SUGAR!!!

Make sure you're prepared for a situation where you can't get the baby food warmed up in the a/c (boilers don't work, or whatever reason). Many airports have a "baby facility area" where you can warm up the food to keep you going for a couple of hours.

The little ones are ever so unpredictable, but ensure that the nappy is changed/child is asked if he/she needs the toilet before the flight. Chances are, not big but they are, that you might not be able to use the toilet on board during boarding; the a/c might be refueling therefore, for safety reasons, no one can use the toilets.

Instead of going to sleep as you "need a break" from the little one, make an effort and entertain the child during the flight. I see many parents using portable DVD players, or paper sheet and colored crayons - most of them are drawing airplanes and fluffy clouds and the pilots, which is ever so sweet; Of course that'll be a bit tricky to do with an infant (under 2yo), but i see mums and dads keeping the baby happy with making funny faces, or wander in the cabin (we don't mind you know, if you're blocked in the aisle between the 2 trolleys just ask us and we'll let you get pass).

We can tell bad parenting from good parenting. If a baby is crying and the mum looks like she doesn't give 2 *****, we don't like it but somehow we step in and try and help with the situation.
If the baby is crying and the mum looks either embarrassed or worried, we still try to help and sometimes we feel bad because we can't do anything to help out with the terrible ear ache (which are horrendous for the little ones) the baby might have.

In the end, it all comes down to parenting. Some are good at it, some are bad.
Life is not perfect, and nor am I.