PDA

View Full Version : IE Script Error Quickie

Chesty Morgan
18th Dec 2009, 17:11
I keep getting a script error when I try and close a window. I've been able to minimise it but I can't now close it. The Yes No options in the script error window just seem to refresh it and it stays open, the same for the red X.

Any ideas how to get rid?

Thanks

Torque2
18th Dec 2009, 18:37
Will Ctrl/alt/delete and task manager allow you to get rid of it?

Mike X
18th Dec 2009, 18:51
Chesty, not enough info.

I experience the same from time to time, but not on closing a window, just on refresh. I continue to run the script and all is well. Firefox.

How old is your hardware ?

Oh yes - I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look.

mad_jock
18th Dec 2009, 21:32
You have a script running in the background which is effecting the way your browser works!!!!!!!

Have a word with yourselves before your bank account gets emptied.

Chesty Morgan
19th Dec 2009, 07:39
Task manager got it. I didn't think of that as I'd never come across a script error before. Thanks for the replies.

Mad Jock I have no idea what a script is and no idea how to turn it off. Is it really that serious that it shouldn't be running? How the 'ell do you turn it off?

mad_jock
19th Dec 2009, 08:39
A script is a set of commands running in the back ground which do certain tasks.

Those task have been known to be.

Logging what keys you have been pressing
Logging personal information.
Logging what sites you have been going to.

On pprune there are 4-5 scripts running all the time one logging advertising. another one keeping track of your history so you only need to read new posts etc.

Most sites have scripts on them these days.

If you get one that runs and permanently effects your browser and how it operates I would be a bit concerned. It could just be a toolbar acting up eg yahoo or google or it could be you have a nasty sitting in the background doing things you won't want.

Either way its important to find out what it actually is.

Remove or stop any tool bars and add ons to the browser and see if that cures it. While doing that make sure you give the system a good scan using an up todate virus and malware scanner.

I am not very up todate with IE as I have always been a netscape type person and currently use firefox so with any luck some of the others can be of more help. In the past when called upon to fix problems with IE I had always used a scorched earth policy which was a bit of a pain because IE embeds itself like a cancer in the OS as soon as you install it.