PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Planes Need To Be Equipped With Cell Phone Jammers . . .

ONTPax
17th Dec 2009, 20:52
. . . at the flick of a switch, all cell phones become useless. I can't remember. Is personal cell phone use allowed during flight on that side of the pond?

ONTPax

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Schumer has a flight to forget

By: Anne Schroeder Mullins
December 16, 2009 03:52 AM EST

Sen. Chuck Schumer loves the sound of his own voice, but it carried a bit farther than he might have liked on the US Airways shuttle from New York to Washington on Sunday.

According to a House Republican aide who happened to be seated nearby, the notoriously chatty New York Democrat referred to a flight attendant as a “bitch” after she ordered him to turn off his phone before takeoff.

Schumer and his seatmate, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), were chatting on their phones before takeoff when an announcement indicated that it was time to turn off the phones.

Both senators kept talking.

According to the GOP aide, a flight attendant then approached Schumer and told him the entire plane was waiting on him to shut down his phone.

Schumer asked if he could finish his conversation. When the flight attendant said “no,” Schumer ended his call but continued to argue his case.

He said he was entitled to keep his phone on until the cabin door was closed. The flight attendant said he was obliged to turn it off whenever a flight attendant asked.

“He argued with her about the rule,” the source said. “She said she doesn’t make the rules, she just follows them.”

When the flight attendant walked away, the witness says Schumer turned to Gillibrand and uttered the B-word.

“The senator made an off-the-cuff comment under his breath that he shouldn’t have made, and he regrets it,” Schumer spokesman Brian Fallon told Shenanigans.

Ironically, Schumer has been a friend of US Airways flight attendants of late, lobbying company chairman and CEO Doug Parker on their behalf after several of them asked the senator to help keep them based at LaGuardia.

Through her office, Gillibrand said Schumer was “polite” with the flight attendant Sunday and “turned off his phone when asked to.”

But moments after the flight attendant had told Schumer to shut it off, the phone rang again.

“It’s Harry Reid calling,” the source quoted Schumer as saying. “I guess health care will have to wait until we land.”

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
18th Dec 2009, 11:14
...Until it was effectively grounded by EU/JAR fancy new ideas for commercial AOC issue (as was the DC3) the elderly twin-jet I flew would randomly pick up noise from Mobile Phones on VHF and/or I/C.
Not sure about other peoples frequency bands, viz Cell Phones in USA, but it's the same thing that sometimes shows up on car radios in our area.

I found that by politely pointing out the cockpit's awareness of a phone not yet switched off before take off, this had the desired effect.

Of course the temptation was to use this ploy anyway regardless of any truth......didn't though.

I know of a place not far from where I live that manufactures the jammers, but not allowed to normal citizens. I'm guessing that it's not all that straight forward, otherwise places like hospitals and theatres might be licenced to install them....

10DowningSt
19th Dec 2009, 12:16
It's quite easy to get hold of a jammer, it seems. Not even very expensive.

Go for it.

This article is from 2007 (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/gadgets_and_gaming/article2889295.ece), and things have probably moved on by now.