PDA

View Full Version : Pacemaker and Aeros

Lister Noble
17th Dec 2009, 15:58
I had a dual chamber pacemaker fitted March 2009 and have since been flying on a NPPL around an hour a week in a Cub.
I like aeros and did some with a pal and instructors before the pacemaker.
I would like to have another go with an instructor,is there any restriction on flying aeros with a pacemaker,ie,is it likely to have any adverse effects on my pacemaker/body interface?
I think probably not,but am keen to see what the experts think.
Lister:)

Lister Noble
22nd Dec 2009, 15:39
Still no replies?

crispey
22nd Dec 2009, 19:19
I'm no expert but I've been told,not by an expert,that it's a no no with a PPL as PIC.The same person said that it's OK in the professional flying world as long as the other chap/chapess doesn't have one.Perhaps it depends on the type of condition being corrected.There are thousands I believe.

I believe train drivers are OK to be in charge,of a train of course.

Have you asked the CAA?If they are still called that.Their doctors should know.

I doubt if the aircraft kit will affect your device but you are not supposed to go near radar.Airport ground staff go ape if you try to go through the detectors with one.Doctors reckon it won't do you or your device any harm.It might make a lot of noise in the security areas though.

Good luck

crispey
22nd Dec 2009, 19:29
Heart - JAR Certification Following Insertion of a Heart Pacemaker | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=1293)

This may help you Lister Noble

Lister Noble
23rd Dec 2009, 09:09
Thanks for the replies and I am aware of the CAA advice.
I am flying and have been since six weeks after the operation in March,now am flying on an NPPL.
I wanted to know if there would be any adverse effects from aeros,and I will be flying with an instructor.
I spoke to CAA and NPPL medics yesterday and they thought I would be OK flying aeros,just to take it easy to start with and stop if not feeling well.
Lister:)