PDA

View Full Version : Challenger 600 acquisition questions

JDL-Toronto
17th Dec 2009, 15:55
Looking to the experts for advice, I am currently contemplating the purchase of a 1983 Challenger 600, to be based in Toronto Canada, the plane that I am looking at has below 6500 hrs and inspections seem current, as well the engines are on a MSP Gold plan as well the APU is on a MSP, the asking price is below $ 2 mil, and I plan on using the plane 100 - 150 hrs per years and allowing the management company to charter the plane to help offset the costs, so now that I have bored you with the details, my questions are as follows, what should be budgeted to do a complete refurb on the interior (ext paint was done in 08) I would want the interior to feel new and updated, but within reason, secondly, what are the risks in getting into an older jet, and does the low purchase price mitigate the risks, I have read that the engines on the 600 might be an issue, but shouldnt the MSP Gold plan put me at ease?..... Basically in a nutshell is it worth pursuing, or am I getting into headaches??? Yes I realize that charterig may be a better option, but what can I say there is ego involved

Hi-Alt
17th Dec 2009, 21:12
The maintainence and parts costs for the CL600 are very high! Check the MSP rate and then see how this stacks up against the acquisition and operation costs of a CL601, CL604. From cocklin & deckler, hourly operating costs for the CL600, CL601-3A and CL604 respectively are 4,552, 4,181 and 3,396 USD. All based upon around 430 hours/year.

galaxy flyer
20th Dec 2009, 00:41
In today's economy and market, a good 604 with all the SBs complied with would be a far superior deal. Avioncs that are up-to-date, lower DOCs, better range and, in 5 years, you will get most of your money out of it on resale. It is a much better "draw" as a charter plane, too. In 5 years, a CL600 will be well past its "sell by" date.

GF

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Dec 2009, 06:59
If cash rich, and not too interested in the residual value, there are such people around), then a cheaper airframe, is an option.

If they have access to in house labour then the cost of operations will be reduced too....

Sometimes the detail is hiding behind the face.

Many happy hours on a 600 / 601. Great pax friendly aircraft, and plenty of crew space too.

A little exiciting when very heavy, and seeking a high altitude to cruise, but then we are professionals.

glf

No RYR for me
20th Dec 2009, 11:26
Stay away from 600s and 601s as their residual valuas will never get back, are expensive to run and even unreliable when properly maintained :bored: . You can get bargain 604's in the current market with values likely to rise, better performance and lower DOC's :8