PDA

View Full Version : Lightning in IMC

Rojer Wilco
16th Dec 2009, 19:23
Buzzing along in IMC the other day I was surprised by a bolt of lightning which seemed to be almost infront of me in my two o'clock. There was no thunder, the ADF didn't really move and I was in pretty smooth air.

Has anyone else ever seen this? I was wondering how far off the actual lightning might have been (eg can lightning be seen through cloud for some distance), and if anyone else has experienced a similar phenomenon.

It certainly raised the eyebrows of the pax towards the front!

KRUSTY 34
16th Dec 2009, 20:02
About 6 months ago one of our aircraft was climbing out of Sydney about 40 miles north. WX was rain, solid IMC, night, light turbulance, Radar on.

The single lightning bolt litterally came out of nowhere. No significant paints on the radar, and generally midlevel cloud tops. The crew described it as like a "cheap theatrical pyrotechnic" Big flash, what appeared to be a little puff of smoke on the nose, and a very load bang. All systems kept operating normally. Pretty lucky I'd say.

They turned around, went back to Sydney and grounded the aircraft pending an inspection. A small burn hole was subsequently found in the radome.

The Captain had 25 years experience, and reported that this was his first lightning strike. After years of sucessfully (and sometimes no so succesfully during the GA days) of thunderstorm avoidance, the one that got them was the only lightning encounted that day!

Atlas Shrugged
16th Dec 2009, 21:26
the ADF didn't really move

Was it set to and receiving a station? If it was then sometimes it may not necessarily move depending upon the distance to the station. If it was switched on but not tuned into any frequency within range (say 1111), it will usually point to the lightning just before yo see it, except the one in my Aerostar is fecked and keeps pointing to the left alternator! Must fix that.....

Capt Claret
16th Dec 2009, 21:36
Often experience the phenomenon of bright light, as opposed to a distinctive lightning bolt, lighting up the surrounding cloud.

The only lightning strike that I know I've experienced was ex PER with nothing painting on the radar. The F/O was pilot flying, and as I was filling in the tech log at the time, the first indication I had was becoming aware of him ducking. The lightning hit the windscreen wiper post.

It was a dog of an aeroplane; no damage whatsoever. :{

Captain Nomad
17th Dec 2009, 01:44
Krusty, I have had a very similar experience - different locale however...

The Green Goblin
17th Dec 2009, 01:56
It's a very lonely place up the front in IMC single pilot IFR when the clouds are lighting up!

From my personal experience if it's night and you're in IMC with embedded cells around the clouds do light up a fair bit.

Wait til you get St Elmos fire (sic)

Peter Fanelli
17th Dec 2009, 02:55
That it is. :ooh:

eocvictim
17th Dec 2009, 05:05
Only the older ADF's will really be active and it has to be tuned to a lower frequency. I've had them bounce around within 20nm of the aid and a cell but get nothing within 5nm using a new king ADF.

Thunder is hard to hear over 2 pistons screaming with typical GA headset on. (I have a few videos that reflect this) If the aircraft is charged you'll get a crackle through the comms.

Often it will look like you're in IMC but its just an optical illusion within multiple layers and as with optical illusions it takes something to break it up to realise.

Capt Fathom
17th Dec 2009, 05:27
Is called Sheet lightning.

Because you yell 'Sheet!' when you see it !

Graybeard
17th Dec 2009, 10:54
Most lightning strikes to planes occur around the freezing level..

GB

Xcel
17th Dec 2009, 11:02
Vincent just moved an aircraft from Jabiru so im told...

Was struck by lightening in VMC one coud in the sky and got struck on the radome... wxited the prop - magnetised the bearings - replaced engine and sent for inspection...