PDA

View Full Version : So we are in Afghanistan until 2013 then

rogerk
15th Dec 2009, 10:17
The Ministry of Defence has announced plans to buy 22
new Chinook helicopters to increase air support on the
frontline in Afghanistan.

The first 10 new Chinooks will be completed in 2013.

:ugh::ugh:

NutLoose
15th Dec 2009, 11:32
But why do you need more new Chinooks?, after all they have been bleating on for ages that you had enough Helicopters.........:mad::mad:

Gnd
15th Dec 2009, 14:30
More drivers would be better!

Melchett01
15th Dec 2009, 14:47
More drivers would be better!

What does MT have to do with it?

A2QFI
15th Dec 2009, 15:30
It's a puzzle! We aren't going be there in greater numbers than we are now, in 2013, and we already have enough Elicopters, according our Defence Supremo

VinRouge
15th Dec 2009, 16:36
Its all about image.

Brown nightstopping Kaf. Todays disgusting politicisation of troops attending luncheon at number 10, on the same day they announce 22 choppers that wont be with us till 2013, funded buy cutting today's capability.

Whats the bet that a year or two hence from here, 22 turns into 10 and cottesmore still closes?

I Despair. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

NutLoose
15th Dec 2009, 17:06
Its all about image.

Brown nightstopping Kaf.

I did wonder seeing the prat squeezed into a tin hat and flak jacket which side it was to protect him from.....:ok:

Cows getting bigger
15th Dec 2009, 19:50
2013 - pah. Wait until Abbey Wood get hold - 2016 at least, and by then there will only be 8. Pilots not required as the aircraft will be gifted through DfID as part of the redeployment from 'Stan plan. Meanwhile, stn cdr Odiham will fly the pants of the airframes he currently has, increasing annual hours by 70%, on the understanding that 12 airframes will arrive on 1 Jan 13.

Don't you chaps learn? :}

TorqueOfTheDevil
15th Dec 2009, 21:06
Two years ago, while at a secret South Atlantic airbase, I'm sure I heard one of our esteemed Air Ranks mention a 15-year plan for Afghanistan.

So 2013 won't be the end. It probably won't be the beginning of the end. But it might be the end of the beginning. Season's Greetings!

Melchett01
15th Dec 2009, 22:06
Anybody see Bob on Newsnight? Under some seriously difficult questioning, the kind of which I haven't seen since this morning when Mrs M asked if I wanted tea or coffee, he singularly failed to square away the simple question surrounding delivery dates for the new cabs:

Why are the new cabs not being delivered until 2012/13 when Barrack Obama wants to start withdrawing in 2011?

Talk about drowning in your own incompetence - he would be out of his depth in a puddle. If we desperately need these new cabs now, why did we not desperately need them 2 years ago, and why do we have to wait 2 years if we need them now??? All he could say was that we would always need the extra cabs, regardless of what operations we were involved in. But as an island, we obviously don't need a credible MPA and carrier borne capability, or a fully resourced and funded strike/attack platform.

Whilst it is easy to have a pop at Bob, frankly it is a little unfair - a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, but really shows just how disjointed this government's policy on defence and Afghanistan actually is. This clearly hasn't been thought through and is at best a sticking plaster when the patient needs intensive care and at worst is a shallow attempt at political spin.

purplehelmet
15th Dec 2009, 22:52
if i remember my skool history lessons correctly during ww11 the usa and uk had a lend lease policy, surely if we are in need of any kit at the moment nato members should form the same sort of alliance..