PDA

View Full Version : How to sleep on corporate airplanes ?

gregbrasil
14th Dec 2009, 15:39
The pax must fasten your seat belt while they're sleeping, right ? Ok. If they're sleeping on horizontal, like a bed, the head must be in which direction ? To the cockpit or to the tail ? Let's thinking if there's a aborted takeoff.:ugh:And let's thinking the pitch the airplane 7 degrees positive.:ooh:

There's any statistic regarding this subject ? Any official document ?

Hugs for all....

ab33t
14th Dec 2009, 17:44
no all the horizontal beds are wrap around seat belt only keeps vertical movement from occuring , inverted flight not catered for

beamender99
14th Dec 2009, 17:51
If they're sleeping on horizontal, like a bed, the head must be in which direction ?

Just as at home, the head is at the pillow end.
The BA club cabin on longhaul flights has seats facing towards the tail and towards the pointy front that all convert into beds.

TopBunk
14th Dec 2009, 18:18
Greg

They should be awake for take-off and landing, with the seats in the prescribed position, else they will not be able to respond to an evacuation requirement:ugh:

During flight, they should be in a position to reach an oxygen mask when lying down.

I would have thought this would cover the basics.

Weaing a seatbelt while lying down would probably come under the advisory category.

SMT Member
14th Dec 2009, 22:03
Well if we're talking corporate aircraft, then there's at least a chance the person(s) sleeping will be owner(s) of said aircraft. In which case I'll assume they'll sleep in whichever direction they fancy, when they fancy and wear a seatbelt if they so fancy - including take-off and landing. Not very big or clever, but he or she who writes the cheques calls the shots.

Mooncrest
15th Dec 2009, 11:35
SMT,

Perhaps I'm being a little naive but my opinion is that regardless of whoever owns the aircraft, the person commanding it is the captain and he or she is therefore responsible for the safety of all those on board, including the owner. Should the captain insist the passengers are belted up or upright when they say so, I expect the law would be on their side. I agree that aircraft owners might not see it this way though.

SMT Member
17th Dec 2009, 19:43
Moon

In theory, and according to the letter of the law, you're right on the money.

I have this sneaking suspicion, however, should the skipper insist on demonstrating his authority and wave the book of law at the owner, he'd soon find himself looking for a new job.

Sir Niall Dementia
19th Dec 2009, 13:14
There's a s***ing great big bed down the back of the one I fly, I've never been in that part of the ship while the boss is snoozing and wouldn't want to (there is a way to get the covers to work as a restraint). The girls grab some rest on the crew seats in the galley area, while the P2 and myself take it in turns to push our seats back, don eyeshades and try to get 20 minutes when we can. We can't use the cockpit jump seat as it usually has a large engineer snoring in it.

Most of our flying is overnight (rarely more than 10 hours flight time) to get himself there for the start of the working day. He also has his own shower area in the rear toilet. The worst problem for us is that the boss likes to sleep in a cold room and due to the way the system works on the aircraft that means the FD is freezing. After take off checks, "Gear up, flaps in, altimeters set, don woolly pully."

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Dec 2009, 13:28
The Captain is 100% in control, unless the owner has a different idea.

Most or perhaps some long haul corp jets have a crew rest area.....but this is full of catering supplies so dont expect to use as the legal rest area, that the FTL are based on.

The pax seats are IMHO very uncomforatable to sleep in (Glf). the masters divan, in the Glf is comfortable. The suite in the BBJ or BUS is I assume tolerable.

The CA has no formal sleep area, or even sitting area, as the jump seat blocks access to the FD.

The FD is perhaps the best sleep area, as the seats are comfortable, and a nice pillow just makes it perfect. G550 plenty of leg room.

I flew a Moscow based G5, 2 pilots, one engineer, and one CA. There was no access to the cabin, the forward toilet was usable, but only after a 10 min reorganisation. No rest area on this aircraft. The engineer and the CA sat on fold up beach chairs.

Have fun. Glf.

ps most passengers leave their side arms with the captain.

james solomon
19th Dec 2009, 16:39
What about Travolta's 707 that could technically be classed as a bizjet

clearair
22nd Dec 2009, 19:31
The pax must fasten your seat belt while they're sleeping, right ? Ok. If they're sleeping on horizontal, like a bed, the head must be in which direction ? To the cockpit or to the tail ? Let's thinking if there's a aborted takeoff.And let's thinking the pitch the airplane 7 degrees positive.

During take-off and landings whether you are in cotbed or standard economy seat, the position required by crew is the upright position- so the passenger's back is straight.

411A
23rd Dec 2009, 06:46
What about Travolta's 707 that could technically be classed as a bizjet

Absolutely....and a nice one, too.

gtf
23rd Dec 2009, 09:07
Slept through a take-off at the horizontal once, head on pillow (thanks beamender99), pillow facing the tail. Not the crew's fault, all mine. Fell asleep in the back while waiting for colleague and just rolled over when told to wake up.

Biggest "oh f*ck" of my life when my legs went above my head... Half convinced the pointy end heard me. Never been allowed back on that particular place since, I wonder if it's coincidence.