PDA

View Full Version : firefox 3.5.5

Octane
13th Dec 2009, 10:27
Are people having stability issues with rhis version of ff?? I have regular crashes, annoying...

cheers

Octane

green granite
13th Dec 2009, 10:55
Only when I switch to the IE tab on some webcam sites, other than that no.

Peter Fanelli
13th Dec 2009, 11:07
yes, frequently grinds to a halt and needs to be restarted.
I have just recently discovered I also have something called dummywindowless which apparently affects firefox so maybe that's the problem
I feel a format and reload coming on.
&%^&(^% computers! :ugh:

Capetonian
13th Dec 2009, 11:15
I've been using it for a few weeks, prior to which I used an earlier version. I find it more stable than IE and I feel it's faster bit I can't really quantify that.

The only thing I don't like about it is sometimes when you copy links from sites like Google News it seems to corrupt them, something IE never did.

frostbite
13th Dec 2009, 11:43
I'm having similar problems with Opera.

Used it for years without problems, then the last three versions have given regular crashes. No use asking on their website - a rude and unhelpful moderator sees to that.

Brian Abraham
13th Dec 2009, 12:33
Yes since the last update. Regular crashes with the ever helpful "Sorry about that" pop up and "Do you wish to restart".

Bushfiva
13th Dec 2009, 14:13
Yes, less reliable than previous iteratations. Crashes several times a day, and I'm a Firefox fanboi. Also for private browsing, IE8 does it better.

SyllogismCheck
13th Dec 2009, 16:10
Very occasional crashes. Usually with lots of windows/tabs open and switching rapidly between them. Only about 3 or 4 crashes in total though over how ever many weeks it's been since the update.

I wouldn't want to use another browser anyway and can live with it until such time as an update sorts it out. Probably won't take long for that to happen either, it being Firefox and all.

Groundgripper
13th Dec 2009, 16:57
I find that it doesn't crash, but if I close it and then later then try to re-open it it won't. A quick ctrl/alt/del shows that it's apparently still open.

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2009, 18:33
That's reminded me of that on my earlier version. Delving around in Task Manager to shut it down when it aint supposed to be there anyway.

seacue
13th Dec 2009, 18:42
I haven't had any significant problems with 3.5.5 .

That said, when I close it and immediately try to restart it, it cannot be started and is said to be still running. Wait a minute or so and it can be restarted with no problems. It seems to shut down slowly and in the background.

henry crun
13th Dec 2009, 19:27
I had a problem signing into Pprune immediately after the update, but since then no crashes or any other problems.

BOAC
15th Dec 2009, 21:27
I second Bushfiva's post #7 - Mozilla have some serious work to do when an MS product is better - and 8 beats 3.5.5

srobarts
16th Dec 2009, 06:30
This morning sees 3.5.6 downloaded - "a security and stability update". I hope it works, since this thread started I have seen regular crashes with 3.5.5 particularly when multiple tabs are open. Also coming out of standby, 3.5.5 always seemed sluggish and needed a restart to get acceptable browsing speed.

green granite
16th Dec 2009, 06:49
Personally I'm running 3.6 beta4, seems very good, stable and faster.

BOAC
16th Dec 2009, 17:15
Concur with srobarts - 3.5.6 may have sorted this out.

rans6andrew
17th Dec 2009, 08:17
latest version installed yesterday morning has not sorted it for me. Last evening Firefox ground to a halt so I closed all tabs and closed window. It could not relaunch due to "Firefox is still running" but task manager and process explorer both failed to kill the process. Only answer was a reboot of machine.

rans6andrew
17th Dec 2009, 08:56
ps - I only have issues on my Vista machine, my laptop running XP is OK with all versions of Firefox that have been on it.

srobarts
17th Dec 2009, 16:12
3.5.6 has crashed twice since installation, so problem not fixed for me either.

BOAC
21st Dec 2009, 11:21
Yes - having run it for a while it is still 'sticky' but marginally better than 3.5.5. What have they done?:ugh:

green granite
21st Dec 2009, 11:40
You can always ask questions here: Index page • mozillaZine Forums (http://forums.mozillazine.org/)

BOAC
21st Dec 2009, 13:49
I think I'll just wait until some resident fundi posts a solution.

Mr Optimistic
21st Dec 2009, 14:28
Speedup Firefox and Surf Web Faster-Clean SQLite Database|Internet Security Blog (http://webtoolsandtips.com/firefox/speedup-firefox-and-surf-web-faster-clean-sqlite-database/)

broadreach
24th Dec 2009, 00:14
I'm running version 3.5.6 and have very rarely had a crash. But in the last few days another irritation's come up and it only seems to happen when in Pprune: hit the back button and one gets a blank screen and "Done" in the lower left-hand corner; the reload button brings the screen back.

green granite
28th Dec 2009, 14:45
I've been running FF 3.6 beta 4 and then 5 for a while now. It's faster than 3.5.6 very stable and reads websites that 3.56 cant.

srobarts
29th Dec 2009, 09:06
I moved to 3.6 Beta 5 a few days ago and since then no crashes. Great improvement.

glad rag
29th Dec 2009, 14:51
Just loaded and ran latest FF, think it needs some fine tuning but it is fast loading, now if I could just figure out how to get rid of the bloody pop ups that seem to have infested FF on this machine I.d be happier.
Oh well back to opera.

green granite
29th Dec 2009, 15:09
now if I could just figure out how to get rid of the bloody pop ups that seem to have infested FF on this machine I.d be happier.

Tools>Options>content> tick the block popup windows box.

Rainboe
29th Dec 2009, 15:15
3.5.6 seems more stable, but with the previous version, I was experienced a crash a day with lots of tabs open, followed by a message 'woops, this is embarrassing, Firefox seems to be having trouble opening your tabs....', but then it would open them.

Thunderbird has also recently been playing up, refusing to manually get mail with a message 'please wait while the folder is being processed'. The only advice I found for this was for Macs, not Windows. Eventually seems to clear. I found with Outlook Express and Outlook, very large mail records messed up those programs, so I have been deleting swathes of historic emails to bring the mail file down to a more reasonable size.

Keef
29th Dec 2009, 17:19
Outlook seems to keep everything in one giant file - damage that in any way and your contacts list, your mail records, and everything else disappears. Back it up every day!

Thunderbird, if left to its own devices, buries its mail folders deep deep deep in your C-drive. It does, however, use lots of separate mail folders so a glitch in one doesn't goof up the rest.

It is possible, relatively easily (like under 15 minutes if all goes smoothly) to move your mail folder to somewhere you can find it and back it up automatically. Mine's in the imaginative location called I: \Mail - "I" is my Internet Stuff drive.

If you do that, it's a good idea to edit the master mail control file - called Profiles.ini - so that it points at the new location. Then, if you create new mail accounts it will put them in the right place.

It's also not very imaginative in what it calls the mail folders, but those too you can change to something more meaningful - you just have to tell it what they are.

srobarts
7th Jan 2010, 23:47
Well blow me, very happy with 3.6b5 and it "upgrades itself" back to 3.5.6. reintstall 3.6b5 and it "upgrades itself" to 3.5.7 a couple of days later. Why can't I keep the beta I am happy with?