PDA

View Full Version : Is an aircraft Technician considered as an Engineer?

a350_b787
13th Dec 2009, 08:15
There are lots of so called AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineers) and LAME (Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers) in the field of aircraft maintenance. DO these people basically studied engineering or just wanted to be called an engineer? I am not in the industry for a long time and this question raised just out of curiosity.

nodrama
13th Dec 2009, 09:30
This subject has been thrashed out in this forum before....

The term 'engineer' is just what is used to refer to a licensed maintenance techinician in the UK. It's nothing to do with professional body recognised status, degree qualification, etc etc.....it's just the term used by the CAA and industry.

In Europe and the US, they are called mechanics. Maybe they should be here also....but they aren't.

Alber Ratman
13th Dec 2009, 17:44
Actually within the industry, LAEs in the UK CAA sphere are called Technicians, either Line Certifying or Base Maintenance Certifying Technicians or just Licenced Technicians..:E

Mechanics are unlicenced...:ok:

nodrama
13th Dec 2009, 18:17
Here we go again....

Yes, they are technicians but the UK CAA calls them engineers. Otherwise the certifiers would be called LATs. That's the way it is, always has been...does it really matter?

smudgethecat
13th Dec 2009, 19:15
I hold a UK LAME licence, i also have a degree in mechanical engineering and TBH the amount of effort needed to obtain the licence and the eight type ratings on it far exceeds the effort i expended obtaining the degree so as far as im concerned anyone holding a type rated UK issued ticket deserves the title engineer, however as long as i keep earning 60k plus a year you can call me what you wish, i dont really give a toss .

nodrama
13th Dec 2009, 19:44
call me what you wish, i dont really give a toss .

Couldn't agree more :)

NutLoose
14th Dec 2009, 00:36
In LALA land ( EASA) the Engineer was dropped from the Licence, Being AML as opposed to AMEL.... But as said above, who cares, though some will and get peeved at the thought something has been taken from them.....

I did retain my CAA licence when I converted over to Part 66 as some bits and bobs I do need it, after all who wouldn't when it is free, stupid idea though making it only 2 yrs instead of 5 so it does not align, I mean as it costs nothing why not simply leave it at 5 years and renew together....

ivor toolbox
14th Dec 2009, 16:37
Nothing to stop you registering with Engineering Council,
got a B1/2 and/or C, you can go for IEng

see here ----> http://www.raes.org.uk/cms/uploaded/files/GCAA1.pdf

ttfn

Eructation
14th Dec 2009, 18:23
EASA AML (Aircraft Maintenance Licence)
A - Mechanic
B1/B2 - Technician Mechanical/Avionic
c - Engineer

These are the three levels that can be held by a AML holder. Each level requires exams to be passed or in the case of the C cat several years experience. BA uses differing terminology which in my opinion is incorrect as an RMA technician IS really a mechanic and definitely not an engineer by the true definition.
I drove behind a van today with 'refrigeration engineer' stencilled upon it,which university did they study engineering at do you think!

TURIN
14th Dec 2009, 19:13
I drove behind a van today with 'refrigeration engineer' stencilled upon it,which university did they study engineering at do you think!

Oxfridge?:O

MATMAX
15th Dec 2009, 07:35
Eructation,
Sorry mate , i think you are wrong ...
C is concerning the base only ...to get a C License , you just need one year experience in an hangar ...

Lear_doctor
15th Dec 2009, 08:40
Just for clarification here are the 'C' rating experience requirements - Whether that makes you an 'Engineer' is not a debate I want to enter into! :)

66.A.30 Experience requirements

3. for category C with respect to large aircraft:

(i) three years of experience exercising category B1.1, B1.3 or B2 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.1,

B1.3 or B2 support staff, or, a combination of both; or

(ii) five years of experience exercising category B1.2 or B1.4 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.2 or

B1.4 support staff, or a combination of both; or

4. for category C with respect to non large aircraft:
three years of experience exercising category B1 or B.2 privileges on non large aircraft or as Part-145 B1 or B.2
support staff, or a combination of both; or

5. for category C obtained through the academic route:
an applicant holding an academic degree in a technical discipline, from a university or other higher educational institution recognised by the competent authority, three years of experience working in a civil aircraft maintenance environment on a representative selection of tasks directly associated with aircraft maintenance including six months of observation of base maintenance tasks.

regards

The Doc

Wirelock
15th Dec 2009, 10:23
matmax...
where in the regulations does it say you need one year work in the hangar?? never seen this before

Litebulbs
15th Dec 2009, 14:59
I had to study for my B and got given my C!

MATMAX
17th Dec 2009, 16:18
wirelock , as The Doc said read the 66.A.30 , in Spain , UK , France , etc ...same stuff (EASA rules).
as a synthesis , to get a C from a B , you need 3 years as a B and included 1 year as a support staff.
Salut.