PDA

View Full Version : Radiation from the Clouds??? What does this mean for crew

Pegasus747
13th Dec 2009, 05:49
AIRLINE passengers on planes flying near or through lightning storms could be exposed to harmful levels of radiation, according to new research.

A study in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres suggests lightning discharges, or a related phenomena known as terrestrial gamma-ray flashes, could expose airline passengers to levels of radiation equivalent to 400 chest X-rays, Fox News reports.

Airline passengers would be exposed to this high level of radiation only if their plane happens to be near the origin of a lightning discharge or a gamma-ray flash.

According to the report, these types of radiation bursts are extremely brief, and scientists are not sure how often, if ever, this type of exposure occurs.

"We know that commercial airplanes are typically struck by lightning once or twice a year," said Joe Dwyer, professor of physics and space sciences at Florida Tech.

"What we don't know is how often planes happen to be in just the right place or right time to receive a high radiation dose. We believe it is very rare, but more research is needed to answer the question definitively."

In May, an Air France jet crashed into the Atlantic Ocean after it was reportedly struck by lightning.

Experts say that lightning alone usually won't bring down a plane, but along with turbulence, thunderstorms and ice, it is a hazard that could be very dangerous to flights.

Mike Brody From: NewsCore December 13, 2009 4:35pm

Ka.Boom
13th Dec 2009, 05:59
Time for a rethink about uniform composition and the mandatory wearing of a dosimeter

apaddyinuk
13th Dec 2009, 12:49
HAHAHAHA.....OMG....Could you imagine radiation suits being worn by the crew? LOL! Lets not get OTT here.

In 10 years of flying I would say I have flown through an electrical storm maybe three times!!! It cant be any worse then going for xrays. We crew get exposed to higher doses of radiation throughout our lifespan then "landwalkers" as a result of so many hours in the air. My airline monitors this and if asked can tell us what our annual exposure has been.

Personally Im not worried!

skygirl4724
13th Dec 2009, 13:37
yes we new about this back in my go -fly ltd days
any updates ????