PDA

View Full Version : WMV video files prob

Private jet
12th Dec 2009, 16:42
Advice please! I did a complete "cleandown" of my pc, right back to basics via system restore. Eveythings updated again now except that some WMV files when played are in bright lurid colours! As part of the "rebuild" i downloaded and installed a full codec pack so not really sure why some WMV's do this and others are fine. This happens in both media player and classic. Any pointers as to what i''ve missed?

Sprogget
12th Dec 2009, 18:32
Codec packs are notorious. Remove it & try again. If it still doesn't work, install Ffdshow tryouts, it'll play everything except flv & quicktime files without fail. Note that FFD show is different from ffdshow tryouts - you want the latter.

Tarq57
12th Dec 2009, 23:09
You can't do a "complete clean down to basics" (whatever that is) via system restore.
You would need to either format C: and re-install the OS, or "restore factory defaults", depending on the computer.
Even if the factory default setting is used, most factories ship their computers with a lot of pre-installed crap.

Are you attempting to clean up you computer to a sort of clean-slate type environment?

Private jet
13th Dec 2009, 00:31
Thanks for the replies, the codec pack i'm using IS k-lite, same as before, so i was quite surprised it didnt work this time but i'll try uninstalling & reinstalling. I used system restore because the pc was hanging on shutdown and had to pull the plug everytime, it seems to have cured that snag at least!

cessnapuppy
13th Dec 2009, 00:35
screw codec packs, instal VLC media player instead
VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
(free program). Dont even use windows media player either, the automatic codec install is a great way to install a trojan on your system