PDA

View Full Version : Low flying

mustpost
11th Dec 2009, 19:59
From Scotland...

BBC News - Horse breeder loses military jet damages claim (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8408090.stm)

Dan Gerous
11th Dec 2009, 20:18
Good, :ok:

hval
11th Dec 2009, 20:33
Reminds me of the farmer near Leeming who kept hens.

"They were laying a lot less", so he said. After two years of claiming and receiving compensation someone decided to investigate. It was hardly surprising that his hens were laying a lot less - he hadn't kept hens for about eight years.

Whoops! Edited 11 December 2009 @ 21:34 hrs for typing error.

Alber Ratman
11th Dec 2009, 20:59
I was once manning the control desk of an FJ second line maintenance facility in sunny north east Norfolk whan I recieved a call from an irrate local pig farmer that some green and grey low flying helicopters were annoying his pigs! I was polite and informed him of the number of the guardroom to lodge his complaint and also he would be better off phoning Wattisham...

seafuryfan
11th Dec 2009, 22:11
"She also sought a declaration that planes flying less than 250ft above her home breached her human rights. "

Almost laughable if we were not at war. Comfy are you, in your nice warm home?

orca
12th Dec 2009, 07:09
In fairness to her, it's pretty hard to tell what height jets are at from the ground. This could be solved fairly easily by some cailbration flights over her place, working down from 250ft and up from 420kts. The water is further muddied by aeroplanes being different sizes, the tornado for example being a little bigger than a normal aeroplane as they had to find space for a second (presumably important, but i can't see how) chair.

Tankertrashnav
12th Dec 2009, 08:19
Strange - this link wont work for me - approached it via Google and got the same negative result. Got the gist from another website though. Bit like the people near here who live in a newish house less than a mile from Culdrose and complained in the press about helicopters night flying!

pontifex
12th Dec 2009, 15:29
Many, many years ago at Wyton the SDO was a USAF exchange officer. He took an evening call from the local high-born busybody about the noise of the night flying. His reply was "Ma'am, that's the sound of freedom". Then he put the phone down. It took the Staish a long time to calm that one down.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
12th Dec 2009, 16:20
Good result. I truly detest these people.

There's a line in there that implies her "brief" may not be very bright, though. :ok: :D

For £1M, I might tell her where it is. There again; sod her and the horse she rode in on.

Saintsman
12th Dec 2009, 19:10
We only get these claims because in the past, we have been stupid enough to pay out.

orca
12th Dec 2009, 19:34
TIW at 100ft, I'd pay to see that!

ricardian
12th Dec 2009, 20:26
We only get these claims because in the past, we have been stupid enough to pay out.
In the late 1960s there were several areas in Cornwall and Devon where low flying was forbidden because of the many mink farms in the area; apparently sudden noises caused pregnant mink to abort. Presumably these farms have now disappeared thanks to the anti-fur brigade.

Jucky
12th Dec 2009, 20:40
Reminds me of this story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1829879.stm) where a farmer and 2 vets were falsely claiming compensation from the MoD for cattled killed by low flying helicopters in South Armagh.

diginagain
13th Dec 2009, 09:57
Ah yes, Op SADDLE, the South Armagh Deception in Deceased Livestock Enquiry, that occupied many hours of JATOC's AATC bods.

Usually it was the lads who were quicker than the lasses to volunteer their services to plunder the archives. Possibly because of the presence of so many secretaries in the archive building.

JEM60
13th Dec 2009, 12:04
Friend of mine, was on ATC having a rest from Javelins, received a call from an irate farmer about low flying aircraft.Friend asked 'Have these aircraft got red stars on them?' 'No' replied the farmer. 'Oh, that's all right then!!':)

spannersatKL
13th Dec 2009, 12:59
Was riding up the Cromer road the other week....Tonka over the top at well...it looked low and fast....brilliant....son with very wide smile on face...keep it up.....more please....unlike the yank F15s that never seem to drop below 5K feet in these parts:ok:

Gainesy
13th Dec 2009, 13:17
Low flying aircraft are about the best recruiting aid I can think of.

Forget all the touchy-feel crap, leave that to NGA recruiters.

Coffin Dodger
13th Dec 2009, 14:35
We used to get fast LFA here (much to my delight), but it doesn't happen very often now for some reason. Anybody up for punching 55.45.097N 003.21.448W* into their nav computers? :ok:

*village centre

BEagle
13th Dec 2009, 17:00
Low flying aircraft are about the best recruiting aid I can think of.

Correct! Hunter FGA9 over my prep school in around 1962 did it for me!!

Warmtoast
13th Dec 2009, 19:49
RAF were plagued by low-flying and noise complaints as far back as 1951. My first experience of civilan low flying noise complaints against the RAF was in Rhodesia.

In 1951 I was at 5 FTS, RAF Thornhill, S. Rhodesia and attach a photo of "Boggies Clock" decorated for Coronation Day 1953 in Main Street in the centre of Gwelo (now Gweru) the nearest town to RAF THornhill.

Mrs Jean Boggie lived in Gwelo for many years and was one of the town's most colourful characters. Her husband was a pioneer, and a member of the first Legislative Council. After his death in 1928, she erected this memorial clock tower, a familiar landmark to all who passed through the town. There was also a memorial panel inserted in the tower, commemorating the women, children and cattle and donkeys of the pioneers.

Mrs. Boggie was well known for her protests against the noise created by training aircraft from RAF Thornhill which flew over her farm. The noise, she claimed, prevented her hens from laying and her cows from being content! She was always remonstrating with the authorities and often made her views known through letters to the press. RAF Airmen driving past the clock, in a bus for example, were in the habit of making their feelings known about her protests by blowing a raspberry - but she still protested.

One of the first things one learnt on arrival at 5 FTS was that it was de rigueur to blow the raspberry as one passed the clock!
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/Gwelo%20-%20Mrs%20Boggies%20Clock_zpsmulqftkx.jpg

relight9
14th Dec 2009, 12:27
Most types around 53 07 19.66 N 00 21 17.56 W in deepest Lincolnshire would give you nothing more hostile than a wave if you want to tip a wingtip our way..... an FGA9 Hunter and a couple of JP's must be a decent waypoint!

OCCWMF
14th Dec 2009, 15:05
Beagle:

Correct! Hunter FGA9 over my prep school in around 1962 did it for me!!

Popped back for an old boys day had you?