PDA

View Full Version : Post-STC Return to Service

Trolltuner
11th Dec 2009, 10:38
US FAA process for return to service after a major alteration (incorporating an STC) means an FAA Form 337 recording the work with a signoff in Block 6 (Conformity Statement) and Block 7 (Approval for Return to Service). These signoffs may commonly be accomplished by a US Certificated Mechanic (A&P), a Foreign Cretificated Mechanic (AME?), or a Certificated Repair Station with the exception that Block 7, if an A&P or AME, also requires an Inspection Authorization.

My question is this: What are the European equivalent procedures/forms in the case of an EASA issued STC being incorporated on, for example, a UK registered airplane? A German registered airplane? French, Austrian, etc., etc.? :confused: Does the process vary from country to country under individual CAAs, or is it streamlined under EASA procedures? Thanks !

wigglyamp
11th Dec 2009, 19:02
There is no equivalent to a Form 337 in EASA. A return to service will be a completed CRS in the workpack referencing the apprioved data - EASA STC number and a logbook entry.

Trolltuner
11th Dec 2009, 19:51
Wigglyamp, thank you. Can you please expand on that for me? CRS means.....? And does it apply all across EASA countries (and affiliates like Norway, Switzerland and Iceland)?

Thanks. Sorry, I'm so familiar with US regs, but pretty ignorant when it comes to those over here.

Cheers,

Tom

Rigga
11th Dec 2009, 20:16
CRS = Certificate of Release to Service - has wording something like "The work specified, unless otherwise specified, has been accomplished in accordance with....blah, blah, etc."

Following a large modifiction or Package of Work this statement will be on a "Certificate of Release to Service" and certified by a Part 66 - CAT C Licenced engineer.

The CRS is valid throughout all the EASA states.

Trolltuner
12th Dec 2009, 09:02
Thanks very much, Rigga. That helps a whole lot.

So, it doesn't mean Certificated Repair Station in this case. May I assume then that a Part 66 - CAT C Licenced engineer may sign off the work and return the aircraft to service whether he/she is working on behalf of a Repair Station, or as an individual (i.e., running his own business)?

nodrama
12th Dec 2009, 11:36
The engineer doesn't have to be technically working for the repair station (as an employee) but must be working under their EASA 145 approval....i.e he has a company authorisation number and/or stamp.

Trolltuner
12th Dec 2009, 12:54
Aha, nodrama, so another lightbulb comes on. IOW, there must be an association with a 145 Repair Station - unlike in the US, where both an A&P and A&P/IA (AME with Inspection Authorization) may work independently on their own and for themselves. Have I got this right now?

nodrama
12th Dec 2009, 13:12
You got it!
That is one of the major differences between US pt65 and EASA pt66. It is the organisation (repair station) that has the approval for CRS, not the engineer.
For example... I, as an individual, have provided freelance, type-rated maintenance services to several aircraft maintenance organisations but for each organisation their Quality Department have to issue me with an authorisation for that company before I can sign off work and a CRS.
Note that this is for Transport category and large aeroplanes...MTOM>5700kg.

Trolltuner
12th Dec 2009, 14:06
OK. I'm learning and this is becoming more clear to me now. Thanks very much for your posts.

Are there exceptions for light aircraft? I hold an EASA issued STC for certain Cessna 182 models (MTOM 1400 kg). I want to be able to advise any potential customers of the correct EASA sanctioned process.

Guess I should know this, but perhaps I'm just taking the lazy path, and instead of doing the research myself, decided to ask the experts here who live the process day-to-day.

Bests.

nodrama
12th Dec 2009, 18:09
Sorry, haven't got any light GA experience. Have a look at this thread in the Private Flying forum....

EASA Part M proposed revision

...might make things clearer.