PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) with CABAIR at Blackbushe???

TAG2000
10th Dec 2009, 14:57
Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
I am considering starting my PPL(H) in January with Cabair at Blackbushe Airport. Does anybody have any experience and advice regarding the PPL course with Cabair?

Cheers

Tag

TAG2000
10th Dec 2009, 15:23
Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I am considering starting my PPL(H) in January with Cabair at Blackbushe Airport. Does anybody have any experience and advice regarding the PPL course with Cabair?

Cheers

Tag

CRAZYBROADSWORD
10th Dec 2009, 15:47
I would suggest that one company is much the same as another I would visit all your local schools and just see what instructor you get on with best and go with them, it's such a close working relationship in the front of an R22 that you are better of picking the instructor not the school.

wobble2plank
10th Dec 2009, 16:00
I went to Blackbushe to have a look at renewing my Jet Ranger rating in the summer with Cabair and I, personally, found their rates a little too steep.

Have a look at Fast Helicopters at Thruxton I believe they are a little more competitive and only a little further down the M3/A303.

Just my personal opinion.

wobble2plank
10th Dec 2009, 16:02
Just posted this in the other forum you posted in as I don't know which one you will keep looking at! :rolleyes:

I went to Blackbushe to have a look at renewing my Jet Ranger rating in the summer with Cabair and I, personally, found their rates a little too steep.

Have a look at Fast Helicopters at Thruxton I believe they are a little more competitive and only a little further down the M3/A303.

Just my personal opinion.

ab33t
10th Dec 2009, 16:58
Yep was just going to say that the training is ok as long as you have deep pockets

TAG2000
10th Dec 2009, 17:18
Thanks for your response guys.

I had a look around at other schools to compare prices and Cabair are doing a deal at the moment for £12k all in for 45hrs ppl package excluding fuel surcharge. But I know many people say not to pay up front, but it is a reputable company, I think.

Another reason I like blackbushe is that it is convenient to get to for home and work.

Cheers

Tag

F-INAL
11th Dec 2009, 16:09
I am doingtowards the end of my fixed wing PPL with CABAIR at Blackbushe and they are a very very good school. The airport is immaculate, and is generally a brillian palce to learn. The heli instructors are very goodas well. I've seen them and they seem extreamly capable!

Hope this helps mate

F-INAL

Whirlygig
11th Dec 2009, 16:29
But I know many people say not to pay up front, but it is a reputable company, I think.It's more than "many".

Being "reputable" has nothing to do with whether a company is financial viable. If a company has your money and goes bust, the first you will know is when you turn up to fly and there's a notice on the door. You will lose any money they hold.

You cannot tell from visiting a school either how likely they are to go belly-up.

The reason they are offering a good deal for payment up front is to help with their cash flow over the winter, hoping that during the summer, they can recoup the reduced profit made.

IF you are going to pay upfront, do it on a credit card and make sure your exposure is as short as possible i.e. do the PPL full-time in a few weeks, no longer than 2 months. You can do your theory in advance to make this as quick as possible. DO NOT give them £12k if it's your intention to fly just a couple of times a week.

Cheers

Whirls