PDA

View Full Version : ICAO 8.33-kHz channel spacing?

AboveTheRuin
10th Dec 2009, 14:26
Hi,
Just a quick question guys/gals...

Is ICAO 8.33-kHz channel spacing required for flight in the Caribbean up in the Flight Levels, or at any altitude...anywhere in the region?

The flight in question would originate in the US and the destination would be St. Lucia.

Thanks,
ATR:cool:

Gulfstreamaviator
11th Dec 2009, 12:29
Based on the current spec of TX/RX kit....

But I am willing to be proved wrong.

glf

Check 6
14th Dec 2009, 10:43
.833 spacing is not used in the Americas nor Caribbean.

Almendrudo
16th Dec 2009, 15:56
I agree with C6.
Why do you have this doubt? Donīt you fly in the Americas?

AboveTheRuin
18th Dec 2009, 23:12
Thanks for the replys guys...

Almendrudo...yeah, I do fly in the America's...And where is the doubt?
I'm asking a question pertaining to the Caribbean...
If I had the answer already, I wouldn't have asked the question...geez:rolleyes:.

Anyways, thanks for the responses...

How about HF, I know that it is not required...But I've heard that it's a useful tool to have...and your better off with it flying in the area. Any comments?

Also...

Is there full radar coverage in the area (full range of all the Islands)?
...and what ATC centers control the Caribbean area?

Thanks for your comments...:ok:
Cheers,

galaxy flyer
19th Dec 2009, 22:07
San Juan Center up north, Piarco, Trinidad in the south and each island nation controls the low sectors for arrivals and departures. Radar pretty much everywhere enroute and most everywhere down low. Further north New York Oceanic covers the WATRS.

HF can be required on the easternmost WATRS routings, but from Miami southeastwards, VHF all the way at Flight Levels.

GF

AboveTheRuin
28th Dec 2009, 22:39
Hey GF, thanks for the info...That is useful. :ok:

So, with at risk of sounding redundant, is it safe to say that the following route could be accomplished, with standard VHF radios (to the second decimal and no HF) under full radar coverage (and communications) for the entire trip with no issues:

Opa-Locka/Miami, USA - Grand Turk - San Juan - Viexfort, St. Lucia

Thanks again!

PS- Any other useful information, or suggestions you (or anyone else) can think of regrding such a trip as outlined above would be greatly appreciated...Tips for customs, prefered routing, alternates..whatever...I'm assuming a life raft would be required for such a routing?;)

Cheers,