PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medicals

Speedbird777
10th Dec 2009, 07:21
I am a doctor with a passion for aviation. Any of you chaps on here qualified to do Class 1 medicals (from the UK) and willing to PM about what is required to become an examiner etc?

Thanks,

Speedy

tournesol
11th Dec 2009, 10:34
Hi Speedbird777.
I am not a medical personel, but may I suggest you contact the UK CAA directly for the info that you need.

CAA
Medical Department
T:01293 573700
E-mail: [email protected]

Good luck

Bob the Doc
11th Dec 2009, 16:08
SB777

Have copied the policy on the points system below. Hope it helps

BtD

Policy for the Approval of new Aeromedical Examiners

Aeromedical examiners will have to meet the licensing and fitness to practise requirements of the General Medical Council and also the criteria of qualification and experience as detailed in JAR FCL-3. This will include a basic course in aviation medicine for class two examiners and an advanced course in aviation medicine for class one examiners.

Class one AMEs should have qualification and experience totalling 5 points or more.

Class two AMEs should have qualification and experience totalling 4 points or more.

The allocation of points for qualification and experience are as follows:

General medicine
Completion of a higher training in any single area of medical practice, e.g. occupational physician, general practitioner, physician, surgeon, radiologist, anaesthetist etc 3 points

Aviation medicine
Diploma in Aviation Medicine or equivalent (confers exemption from the requirement to have undertaken the basic and/or advanced course). 2 points
OR
One year of full time, or part time equivalent, aviation medicine practice e.g. airline medical staff, air ambulance work, regulator, air force, air traffic control etc
1 point
OR
Two years or more of full time, or part time equivalent, aviation medicine practice e.g. airline medical staff, air ambulance work, regulator, air force, air traffic control etc
2 points

Flying experience (licences and ratings can be expired)
ICAO PPL, NPPL or equivalent 1 point
OR
ICAO CPL 2 points
OR
ICAO Instrument Rating 2 points

Only in exceptional cases, for example remote geographical location, will consideration be given to the approval of medical examiners who do not meet the above criteria.

Dr Robert Hunter
Head of Aeromedical Section
16 August 2006

homonculus
12th Dec 2009, 11:10
What they havent said is it is dead man's shoes - you have to wait for a retirement in most cases, and it is geographically specific. This means in practice you can wait for years before being appointed. But a nice job IMHO when you do.

good luck

kaptene
14th Dec 2009, 14:28
I hope this link helps

http://www.eccaa.aero/docs/acs/pl/PLAC%20009%20-%20Designation%20of%20Aviation%20Medical%20Examiners.pdf

good luck