PDA

View Full Version : New FAA DUI rules

p51guy
9th Dec 2009, 13:31
Be careful over the holidays.
FAA Explains New DUI Policy for Pilots

November 5, 2009
Regulations

FAA aerospace medical certification division manager Dr. Warren Silberman explained the FAA’s new DUI (driving under the influence or while intoxicated) policy in the latest Federal Air Surgeon’s Medical Bulletin, issued on Tuesday.

According to Silberman, pilots who get a DUI and had a blood-alcohol content exceeding 0.15 percent when charged or who refused to allow the police to take a sample will automatically have their case transferred to the FAA’s aerospace medical certification division. “We will then insist that the airman obtain a substance-abuse evaluation from a recognized counselor as a condition of further consideration of issuance of a medical certificate.

Under previous rules, pilots who were first-time DUI offenders would have their court record reviewed by aeromedical examiners, who had leeway to determine whether the applicant had a problem. Silberman also noted that the FAA checks the National Driver Registry weekly to see if any airmen have a DUI-related arrest, conviction or administrative actions and then check medical examination records to see if they informed the FAA of the offenses.

If not, those airmen could lose their pilot and medical certificates. Pilots are required to report to the FAA within 60 days any DUI-related actions.

DownIn3Green
9th Dec 2009, 17:32
Bob Dylan knew this in the 60's...The times they are a changing

Orangewing
10th Dec 2009, 05:26
Has this not always been the case with the FAA though? :O

Basil
10th Dec 2009, 09:08
Back in '67, when the 80mg/100cc law and the breathalyser were introduced to the UK, we, in the military, were told that a DUI conviction would also result in a court martial.
As a result, a Group Captain was subsequently dismissed from the RAF.

bzh
10th Dec 2009, 11:58
I heard that 0.14 or above DUI reported to Transport will have a substance abuse invalidation of your medical and give you a 2 year suspention and substance abuse evaluation, reab programm, blood and liver test.

metro301
11th Dec 2009, 11:26
bzh, where did you hear this? According to Transport Canada a dui is not even a reportable event.

777AV8R
11th Dec 2009, 14:00
Totally agree. If a person finds fault with the regs that are in place and argue with the limits, its time to examine ones' lifestyle.

Simple: Fly/Drive or Drink? You can't do both. Simple.

rigpiggy
11th Dec 2009, 19:37
It isn't, however the prohibition is for "a motorized vehicle" some paraplegic guy in BC got the suspension in a car, then the cops caught him driving his motorized wheelchair and charged with driving while suspended

Capt Turbo
13th Dec 2009, 16:05
In my favourit (home) country I declined the red wine on the crew meal tray. The purser would take it out only to return with another vintage. No wine with a good crew meal - unthinkable! No cigar after a good crew meal - come on! No C/A to rub your stiff shoulders after a good crew meal, a good coffee and a good cigar- D:mad:t.
Of course we shall be political correct, sober and well behaved, and of course it is much more important to do "before takeoff prayers" than a safety demo for some airlines. And of course nobody should listen to an old f:mad:t when he says that the "no sex before flight duty" recommendation is rubbish; but for those who still remember M.A.S.H., the previous posts make me think of Frank, the holy cow.
What about my 12 speeding tickets? Will they qualify me for a "prop only" restriction in my license? :E And what will my 8 parking tickets get me?
Yes, Dylan was right; welcome to the sterilized, monitored, boring world of modern aviation := ( apart from the rare operator who still let the pilots live by their own discipline :ok:).

File no. 1639273B (formerly known as Capt. T.)

aguadalte
13th Dec 2009, 19:28
I'm with you Capt.T.
0.15? How long does anyone has to wait after eating a "ferrero rocher" liquor chocolate piece, before driving? Or after taking a spoon of medicine for the cough?
Does one has to be abstinent to get a permit?
What about doctors, politicians, police officers, nurses, engineers, bus drivers and other professionals, do they have to wait for two days, after having a Christmas Eve dinner with their family, or do they eat their turkeys with a coke? (poor guys)
welcome to the sterilized, monitored, boring world of modern aviation := ( apart from the rare operator who still let the pilots live by their own discipline http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif).
I would say: welcome to the sterilized, monitored, boring modern world - cause we're letting "them" turning our lives into an Orwell's (big brother) hell, where our neighbors with their fat asses kneel, and smell under the door of your own homes to find traces of cigarette smoke while their cars are used every single day in a quick 500 yards drive to their offices, cause they don't care and they don't walk...

armeniki
14th Dec 2009, 01:58
So true... so true!

Well it's like anything else these days.. all these rules and regulations popping up because of some daft fool. Whatever happened to common sense??