PDA

View Full Version : Definitions of HD

Rwy in Sight
9th Dec 2009, 06:59
I am looking between two LG TVs and the main differneces are the HD status (one is HD Ready the other is Full HD)and the contrast 30.000:1 vs 50.000:1. The difference is about 25% in price.

I am wondering if it is worth to buy the most expensive set, if the difference in status does not make a differnce in picture in normal viewing (no sport fan and no bly ray owner)!

Rwy in Sight

green granite
9th Dec 2009, 09:45
1080p - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p)

Full HD or not full HD… - AVReview Features (http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/765)

Providing it's a 1900*1080 resolution it's fine.

ab33t
9th Dec 2009, 10:03
Full HD high res if you can afford it

anotherthing
9th Dec 2009, 10:42
The contrast determines how 'black' black looks on a TV.

Higher the contrast the more black or solid it looks. Saying that 1:30000 is still very good, anything over 1:10000 is pretty damned good in fact.

Only a couple of years ago the best plasma TVs out there were only 1:5000 or 1:10000 (and they are still very good) - it is like anything wrt technology... buy now, just realise it will be superseded in 6 months time.

Smaller than 40 inch TV... go for HD Ready and save some money.

Larger than that then think about Full HD but to tell the truth, unless you compare two 50 inch TVs side by side, one full HD the other HD ready, you won't ever know the difference.

The clarity of the pic will still be very good for an HD ready large screen - and as it won't be sitting besde a full HD model in your room, the argument is moot.

If you have the moeny to burn, get the very best. If saving 25% is a consideration, then go HD ready!!

Obviously the last line is my opinion, but I am talking form the viewpoint of having both a 42 inch HD ready TV and a 60 inch Full HD TV. Both are very good.

The money you save could be spent on a very nice Blu Ray player... after all Sky digital is still affected by atmospherics so if you intend watching HD DVDs as well, then a good balance between Blu ray player and TV is the way to go... maybe pushing out the boat on the player (in respect of what you would 'normally' pay for a DVD player... Panasonic ones are pretty good round about the £250 mark).

Rwy in Sight
9th Dec 2009, 18:53
Thanks for all the useful advice. I finally bought this one LG 37LF2510 - 37" LCD TV - FullHD. I don't know how to put a link. The resolution is somewhat better and I feel I buy some peace of mind of not wishing I have bought the HD ready set.

The other one was an LG 2000 series.

Take care.

Rwy in Sight