PDA

View Full Version : CHC Presentation & Offshore future in Europe

FalkoB
8th Dec 2009, 19:39
I saw this post elsewhere and I thought it would be good to share it on this page as well.

Here it is:

Hey!

We had an interesting presentation from CHC the other day. I took a couple of notes, let me share them here. All of it is based on CHCs information so be careful with it. It my be a slightly distorted view since they just lost 2 contracts to Bond in GB. Maybe you shouldn't transfer this 1:1 to the rest of this industry but I'm sure it looks more or less the same everywhere right now. Here we go:

Their presentation started with "Gentlemen, this presentation is going to dissappoint you." So go figure how the rest of this went on... http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

It looks like right now the only growing markets (for them!) are in Australia, Brazil and Norway. Their demand for pilots for the next period till 2012 shows some openings in Norway, none in DK, none in the UK (layoffs), perhaps some in Ireland and 0-4 pilots anually for their Den Helder base to keep their amount of staff stable until 2012. Currently there is an 11 month waiting list with no ad-hoc positions available and - actual quote - it's "Looking bad".

For their Den Helder base they currently support 7 oil companies / 2 contracts. Flights are 12-28 minute average flight times between landings. No equal time roster in NL, 9 working days, 5 days off (with at least a consecutive 2-day off period). 4 week schedules, 1 month in advance. Operating times 7:00-22:00 in 3 different 9hr shifts around the day.

Their experience requirements are dictated by their customers (Oil and Gas Producer Recommendations for Pilots).
- Captain: 3000hr, 1500 PIC, 100hr on Type
- Co-Pilot: 1000hr, 500hr Turbine, 100hr PIC, 50hrs on Type (anybody else wondering about 100hr PIC? http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif )

However, CHC can get waivers for Co-Pilot positions to start with ~250hrs TT if they give you extensive line training and make constant progress reports to their customers. That means you could start at around +-200hrs TT and due to the training etc. you'll have 250hrs by the time you start working.

The Minimum requirements before you are even eligble to knock on their venerable doors are:
- ATPL(H) frozen
- CPL practical done
- JAA IR done
- JAA 1st class medical
- the more hours the better (obviously a 3000hr pilot is prefered over a 220hr applicant...)

Their Interview is done in 3 phases:
1. Interview
2. Psychometric testing
3. Grading

The Interview is about your ability to work in a team and is done with their human ressource and crew training managers. Fail this and the doors are closed.

The Psychometric testing consists of intellectual tests, sensomotoric tests, personality tests and the obligatory interview with their shrink http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif
It's aiming to test your manual ability, multitasking, hand/eye/feet coordination and stress tolerance. Pretty much like the DLR test (--> Hesse / Schrader "Der Pilotentest" might help, the demand seems very similar to me)

Lastly the grading is basically simulator flying. This is done in an FNPT simulator in NL or any other simulator that CHC can use. This is done to judge your level of IFR flying skills, multicrew ability, workload and learning ability and multitasking again.

Should you screw #2 and #3 the doors are closed for 5 years (after that time they assume you might have advanced in your personality and / or skill...)

The current pass rates for the phases:

Phase.....Done.....Passed
-----------------------------
#1..........74..........48
#2..........48..........36
#3..........36..........27

IF you should get a job, then you get two 1 year contracts and when you're doing fine a fixed contract. This includes the type rating + training for CHC. You are on a 5 year bond, if you leave early you have to pay back the T/R and training.
You have to relocate within 60km around Den Helder (for reserve duty you have to be there within 15 minutes call time)

To put it in a nutshell: the prospects look grim right now.

What they recommend to get hired in the future is:
- Do your SE IR (that's enough for them, afaik Bond & Bristow want a ME IR)
- Shop around for your Instrument Rating and keep flying somewhere (ha.ha.)

...to be ready, when THEY hire again http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif Remember: They only give you 2hrs for grading with no 2nd chance. Well, it might be true: If there is a sudden demand you are definitely in a superior position if you already have the IR in your pocket.
But, and this is just my personal 2cents, on the other hand it is a somewhat crooked logic: you spend $90.000 for your IR and facing the industry right now you probably end up siting and waiting for perhaps the next 2 years hoping to find a job where you can fly IR (WHERE in EU if not off shore?). By the time you apply they expect you to be still current, up to date, proficient and knowledgeable in IFR flying for your interview because you only have one chance to pull off a decent IFR flight in their simulator. I'm not sure if I could do that after such a long time without IFR experience / training.

Honestly: If you have a decent job in your A109 stick with it and enjoy a hopefully safe job for the next couple of years until the situation gets better. By then you should be able to jump right into IFR flying and get a job with +3k hours without a problem.
If you don't care about the nice office view and IFR flying in particular I would try operators like ADAC, DRF, Air Rescue Luxemburg, etc. Not many, but some of them fly IFR for transfer flights. That should be much easier and safer with 1600h TT + 500hr ME.

chcoffshore
9th Dec 2009, 07:41
Interesting? When was this meeting?
Did they mention the unhappy workforce in Den Helder and the lack of a CLA! And no permanent contract, which in Holland I believe means a lot in respect to your financial status with regards to house purchase etc.
And the fact that our Dutch friends work the most amount of days in CHC Europe for the least amount of pay!
Try all the other companies first unless you live in Norway because there workforce have their **** in one pile with a strong union.
"Cash is King"

chcoffshore
9th Dec 2009, 17:12
I think about 206 ish days!

Fiveblade
9th Dec 2009, 17:52
I guess a few of the pilots in CHC Norway also works about 206 days, or even more, but then any day>179days will be voluntary workover, compensated with €1400 pr day for captains, + overtime + per diem.. and at Bristow Norway it's exactly the same deal. :ok:

helimutt
9th Dec 2009, 19:21
So how come Norway have such excellent salaries/terms/conditions etc? Is it down to strong union? workforce?

If it's the union, why can't the UK be similar instead of the whole pile of crap we're presently going through.???

Bring on those ballot papers!

chcoffshore
9th Dec 2009, 19:24
206 working days............. that's an ish thou not 100% sure give or take a day.

AH Norway the holy of holy's for an offshore pilot........... Good pay and respect.

As for Scotia :mad:

chcoffshore
9th Dec 2009, 19:26
and at Bristow Norway it's exactly the same deal

please give the name and number to call:cool:

FalkoB
9th Dec 2009, 22:43
@TTT

What I posted is not from me and I don't know nothing about flying offshore in Europa.
I would like to one day but first of all, I need to convert my FAA ATP to JAA ATPL(H)...but thats 2-3 years down the road.

Falko

Hawkeye0001
9th Dec 2009, 23:05
TTT: Hey, I posted this on "elsewhere" ;) Just some notes I took during a recent presentation from CHC I attended.
Unfortunately the combined number of workdays is the only figure I didn't write down, but recalling it from memory it was something in the low-mid 200 days / year range.
During the off-periods you don't have to do any training (sim, etc.), so those 5 off days in 2 weeks are really "off". From what I understood any additional time for training, meetings, etc. comes on top of that. Plus your normal vacation, but I don't know how much that is.
As far as I know there are a couple of CHC guys from Den Helder around here, so they should have more specific answers. So far that's really all I got in my notes.

Torcher
10th Dec 2009, 08:07
Yes, the pilots in CHC Norway have a strong union. But more importantly, a national law that makes all the agreements in the CLA legally binding for both parties. So once its in the CLA, its a done deal. Any changes in the CLA must be through negociations.
Other than that, decent pay, 182 workdays a year 5-2-5-9 or 7-7 or 14-14, + 2 admin days for none typespecific training/courses. Extra days pay cpt EUR 1300-Taxes. I believe terms in Bristows Norway are nearly identical.

b.a. Baracus
10th Dec 2009, 08:49
So how come Norway have such excellent salaries/terms/conditions etc? Is it down to strong union? workforce?

Because a pint costs you about Ģ8 in Norway...its all relative :ok:

chcoffshore
10th Dec 2009, 10:17
Apart from beer etc and tobacco, its no more expensive to live in Norway then any other modern euro country!

Fiveblade
10th Dec 2009, 10:23
Because a pint costs you about Ģ8 in Norway...its all relative http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I'm still puzzled why so many rotorpilots are willing to work on a crappy roster with poor pay and pension, as long as they can have their cheap beer...

But how's your loss of licence insurance if your liver no longer can handle the lifestyle? Do you get €435 000 tax free like the norwegian Bristow and CHC pilots?

212man
10th Dec 2009, 13:44

It's probably something to do with having a population under 5 million - thereby giving one of the highest per-capita figures in the world!

Fiveblade
10th Dec 2009, 14:09
It's probably something to do with having a population under 5 million - thereby giving one of the highest per-capita figures in the world!

Or maybe it's probably something to do with hard work and being willing to learn from others (fixed wing unions). Following your logic, I guess a dutch CHC captain makes the same as a KLM captain... And they both drink Heineken of course...?

Now, many of you will state the fact that airliners have larger aircraft and more passangers, therefore better pay for the pilots. Then this might come as a shock to you, but in Norway, a cab driver probably makes twice as much money as a bus driver, even though the bus is larger and can take more passengers than the taxi! How weird is that.....!?

GoodGrief
10th Dec 2009, 14:48
Well, a wide body takes more passengers but operating (not only flying) helicopters is much riskier, hence higher pay.
Here comes the rotary versus fixed wing thing again...

AlfonsoBonzo
10th Dec 2009, 16:49
Yea that is it. Norway has a population of only 5 mill and a whole lot of oil which then gives good T's&C's.

Unlike Scotland with its 5.1 mill people and the largest oil reserves in the EU where we get treated like :mad:.

The simple fact is that the unions in the Scandi countries are real unions, who have power to negotiate and not only consult like this Mickey Mouse BALPA union that we have here in the UK, who legally is powerless to make any real changes in then industry.:(

If you are used to work in the UK or other places where unions are with out power then CHC Scotia/Holland is probably ok. If you are used to strong unions the you are in for a big shock.

In the end if you have 200 hrs CPL+IR+ € 110 000 in dept then you will go and work for CHC or anyone else anyway, because you need hrs and Ģ$€

Fiveblade
10th Dec 2009, 17:55
The simple fact is that the unions in the Scandi countries are real unions, who have power to negotiate and not only consult like this Mickey Mouse BALPA union that we have here in the UK, who legally is powerless to make any real changes in then industry.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Here we go again, cursing the few who at least try to make an effort... Only you can give BALPA more power, by changing your attitude! :ok:

Remember; A war can't be won without fighting the battles!

AlfonsoBonzo
10th Dec 2009, 18:04
Fully agree, I would like nothing more that BALPA to be great. I am a member and will until the end. It is not BALPA that I am blaming, BUT the UK system that does not allow a union to do its work properly.

kajn
11th Dec 2009, 00:13
206 working days............. that's an ish thou not 100% sure give or take a day.

Isnt it 211 working days in Den Helder (52 weeks minus 5 weeks holiday x 7 days per week divided with 14 x 9 (14 days circle with 9 workingdays) = 211

pls correct me if I m wrong

chcoffshore
11th Dec 2009, 07:22
Only said it was a ish, thanks for correcting me.

212man
12th Dec 2009, 04:01
Or maybe it's probably something to do with hard work and being willing to learn from others (fixed wing unions). Following your logic, I guess a dutch CHC captain makes the same as a KLM captain... And they both drink Heineken of course...?

Where did my 'logic' start discussing aircraft size? My point is that it is easy for a union to negotiate good Ts and Cs when the country it exists in is the third richest - per capita - in the world! If you find that an unpalatable fact, then I'm sorry to upset your view of reality!

Fiveblade
12th Dec 2009, 17:05
Where did my 'logic' start discussing aircraft size? My point is that it is easy for a union to negotiate good Ts and Cs when the country it exists in is the third richest - per capita - in the world! If you find that an unpalatable fact, then I'm sorry to upset your view of reality!

Oh, I see, so that's what you meant.. sorry about the misunderstanding.. yes you're right of course, it was really easy. We just had to elect some colleagues to the CC board, support them all the way and give them sceduled days off to do the union job, throw in some cash compensation too, support them not only when the companies tried to fire them but also when they actually did, bring them back in, continue fighting and get support from the offhore workers unions.. and so on. It's really so easy, so I was kinda wondering why haven't all rotorpilots done it before?

Maybe cheap beer is the answer to that one?..

Nielsz
13th Dec 2009, 09:25
Very curious how the off shore market is like in 2010-2011, espaciallly CHC with the new fields coming up.

So the guys in Den helder working about 200-210 days anually, whats the average salary for a Capt over there ? Can you compare that to the Bristow salaries?

Nielsz
13th Dec 2009, 11:05
wow, thats not bad. Think there would be some bonuses etc. also.

So the best way to make money in the rotorworld is flying offshore i guess.. ? Or is the payment structure different compared with other offshore companies?

squib66
31st Oct 2010, 11:55
CHC Helikopter Service recognises its Norwegian heritage | Shephard Group (http://www.shephard.co.uk/news/rotorhub/chc-helikopter-service-recognises-its-norwegian-heritage/7597/)

What is the REAL reason for this? Are they up for sale or have CHC finally given up along opposed rebranding?

What next? Bristow Norsk?

rotordude
31st Oct 2010, 14:49
What is the REAL reason for this?

Simply that when you talk about CHC to people outside the industry, they donīt know which company you are talking about. Everyone in Norway are familiar with Helikopter Service because they were there when the oil-boom started during the late -60s. Take a look at the "Helikopter Service Complex" at Stavanger Airport. Itīs probably bigger than the Airport terminal building. They are proud of their name and itīs perfectly understandable that they want it back.

How do you think Bristow employees in the UK would react if an ugly norwegian (most of us are by the way;)) bought the company and wanted to call it "Oilhoppers"? Bristow Helicopters for most people in the UK are more than just a name.

Norsk Helikopter however was a company that very few outside the industry had ever heard of. The company was founded in -93, way before my time, and everyone inside seemed happy to stay completely out of the publicīs eye. Now, with some of the earlier paint schemes, itīs close to a miracle they did not attract more attention that they actually did. We are generally a happy bunch and Bristow could call the company "Oilhoppers" for all I care. As with most of my colleagues, I call it Norsk anyway.:ok:

Shell Management
31st Oct 2010, 17:03
Well I suppose naming yourself after your line of work is one way to get a sort of brand recognistion.:}

sox6
31st Oct 2010, 19:54
CHC Schreiner too?
Well maybe not!

ramblingrotors
31st Oct 2010, 21:56
What about CHC Okanagan!!

squib66
1st Nov 2010, 21:06
Based on another thread CHC Lloyd is rather unlikely!

Stay off our patch, oil industry tells North Sea wind farm developers - Scotsman.com (http://www.scotsman.com/news/Stay-off-our-patch-oil.6606981.jp)

WWF Scotland director Richard Dixon
added: "In general, wind power at sea is well spaced out, so you would have to be a pretty sloppy helicopter pilot to have a problem avoiding turbines.

No comment.