PDA

View Full Version : Security - where's the consistency

k3lvc
8th Dec 2009, 15:59
Mods - feel free to move this if there's a more relevant post but most appear to be airport specific.

For the last few weeks I've been travelling MAN-GVA via LHR T5 with BA. Outbound go through security in MAN T3 then just through outbound connections in T5 with no further checks - couldn't be simpler. Return with security in GVA, security again in T5 :ugh: then back to MAN. IMHO unnecessary given both flights are BA and they're happy to accept me from GVA but not without a secondary search at LHR.

Imagine my surprise today when I do the same outbound route from MAN via LGW with BA expecting flight connections to be a formality - how wrong could I be ? 20 mins to get through with boarding cards taken away to a back office for checking (not just mine but all in the queue) then a full search and the usual bark of 'shoes off'.

Presumably this is just another rant but are the DFT guidelines that open to interpretation that each airport decides who & when they search.

I read with interest yesterday the release from LGW's new owners and how they're sending in a task force - IMHO it can't come soon enough - they've a real opportunity to steal a march on their rivals and introduce a face of humanity.

hotmetal
8th Dec 2009, 16:57
I can't comment on LGW but the 'logic' [hohoho] at T5 is that outbound to GVA you have passed through the high standards of UK security at MAN and can proceed onto the GVA flight through flight connections knowing you are safe and secure. On the return you have only been screened to mickey mouse jonny foreigner swiss standards and could pose a threat to everyone. Therefore you have to be screened again to the high standards we expect in the UK and jonny foreigners can only dream of.

k3lvc
8th Dec 2009, 17:28
I can't comment on LGW but the 'logic' [hohoho] at T5 is that outbound to GVA you have passed through the high standards of UK security at MAN and can proceed onto the GVA flight through flight connections knowing you are safe and secure. On the return you have only been screened to mickey mouse jonny foreigner swiss standards and could pose a threat to everyone. Therefore you have to be screened again to the high standards we expect in the UK and jonny foreigners can only dream of.

And, illogical though it may be, I can almost accept this. It's the LGW vs LHR differences I really struggle with.

jetset lady
8th Dec 2009, 17:34
k3lvc

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that, on the MAN-LHR-GVA, you were not required to go through security screening at LHR as you were connecting to an international flight, following a domestic sector and therefore, had no need to clear customs. On the return trip however, you would need to clear customs before taking your flight to Manchester, hence I assume, the reason you had to go through the whole security system again. For once, I don't think security can be blamed in this instance. I suspect that it's down to Customs and Immigration. However, if anyone knows different, please feel free to correct me, as I'm not entirely familiar with how T5 works. I do know that, at LGW, once you pass through customs, you are no longer airside.

As for why it was different at LGW on the outbound, I'm not sure. Were you flying with BA again? Unless you were on a bussing (sp?) stand, flying with a different airline or from the South Terminal, then you should not have needed to clear security again, following the Manchester sector.

bondim
8th Dec 2009, 18:41
My understanding is that all UK airports must meet minimum standards of security screening as set by authorities, however if an individual airport chooses to set a higher criteria than that, they are free to do so.

PAXboy
8th Dec 2009, 19:08
k3lvc Just my own view but I think that your gripes could go into ANY of the myriad security threads!
... with boarding cards taken away to a back office for checking (not just mine but all in the queue)Just a guess - as I have not heard of this one before - they had a tip off and were screening for a particular individual, might not have had a description, so had to check closely. Or the Swiss border Police had asked for a special screening? Or they were wanting to put pressure on a person/group.

For a novel and irritating delay report - you score an extra 3 Points. Congratulations. :}

k3lvc
8th Dec 2009, 19:20
As for why it was different at LGW on the outbound, I'm not sure. Were you flying with BA again? Unless you were on a bussing (sp?) stand, flying with a different airline or from the South Terminal, then you should not have needed to clear security again, following the Manchester sector.

Yes I was with BA again but I was on a remote stand and bussed in so this may be the answer. Maybe someone else can clarify.

For a novel and irritating delay report - you score an extra 3 Points. Congratulations. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

jetset lady
8th Dec 2009, 19:51
Yes I was with BA again but I was on a remote stand and bussed in so this may be the answer. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Ahh. I'm afraid that is indeed the reason that you ended up going through security again. As you're no doubt aware, the bus drops passengers by the baggage collection belts and bypasses all the Flight Connection routes. There's no way back, unfortunately!

And as you found out, it isn't a great time to be going through security at LGW. The staff appear to be frantically trying to prove their worth to the new owners. If it makes you feel any better, it's just as bad on the crew side of things too!

Jsl

P.S. I was surprised to see one of these security staff carrying a bag from the LGW Duty Free shop, containing two bottles of Baileys, on the staff carpark bus though....:hmm: