PDA

View Full Version : PPL training question

screetch
8th Dec 2009, 11:52
Hello there

after reading in the forum for a while I descided to register and ask questions myself.
I started the PPL training in May this year beside work and now at the stage to finish my navigation exercises. I am training at Booker on a C152. I am glad I am already this far and tried to spend as much time possible.

Now i am brushing up the remaining exams and everything I am unsure about etc. One of the things I need your help in is the Captains brief? what do you guys say? Are you actually doing one? :ugh:

I have prepared a little bit of a speach which I want to memory until it becomes more natural to me. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Norman

We than head to XX and return to/ land at YY airport. The trip should take XX minutes/hours. The weather is XXX . We are taking off from runway XX and make a right/ left turn towards XX. In the event of an emergency before reaching take off speed I will bring the aircraft to a halt on the runway. If we have already taken off if possible I will land back on the runway otherwise I will attempt a forced landing.
In the Event of an emergency I will ask you to unlatch the door and tighten your seatbelt. After an emergency landing you should exist the aircraft to right. You can talk to me during the flight, but at times I will ask you to refrain for a while.

poss
8th Dec 2009, 14:18
The only thing I was asked for was a passenger safety brief...

Airside safety - high vis, no running, no smoking etc
How to get in and out of the aircraft
Location of any exits
How to fasten/tighten and unfasten the harness
Safety features onboard - fire extinguishers/first aid etc
No smoking
Hands and feet away from controls at all times
Don't push the transmit button
Don't talk to me when I'm on the radioI think that's about it, of course all of this was worded in a very friendly manor as I would to any passenger.
Hope this helps!

Mungo5
8th Dec 2009, 15:18
CFR 91.3 through 91.9
Passenger briefings (remember SSAFEEE)
Seat belts
Sterile cockpit
Air vents and environmental controls (including headset operation)
Fire extinguisher
Exits
Egress from aircraft

Extra eyes

Captain Stable
8th Dec 2009, 15:23
I consider a passenger safety brief as outlined excellently by poss to be separate from a Captain's brief.

The purpose of a Captain's brief is, as a PPL, to brief YOURSELF (and any instructor/examiner/other PPL who might be flying with you) about what you are going to do, with emphasis on what is different for today from any other flight. You need to cover speeds, power settings, emergency actions as always, but include weather - wind, runway state (surface grass/concrete, dry, damp/wet), cloud, anything in THIS aircraft which might be different from others, etc.

Hence I encourage sudents to say something like

"We will be taking off on 25. The wind is southerly, so at the start of the ground roll I will hold a bit of into wind aileron and reduce as we gather speed. After applying power I will check full power is developing, temperatures and pressures in the green and steady, and airspeed rising. Keeping straight with rudder, I will be taking pressure off the nosewheel at 50 knots, commencing the rotate at 55, and getting airborne at 60, with a slight pitch forward to increase speed to best climb speed of 65 kts, at which we will climb out and, after reaching a safe altitude, take up a heading of nnn degrees.

The runway surface is dry, so no braking action problems today. In the event of any problem occurring on the runway, I will cut the power and apply braking, vacating the runway if necessary (and possible) and carry out further actions as required. In case of a serious problem and if we are already airborne and there is sufficient runway remaining, I will land back on and apply up to maximum braking, further actions as dictated by the nature of the problem. If there is no runway remaining and an immediate reland is necessary, I will look for a suitable clear area either side of the nose, favouring out to the left as that is where the wind is coming from today. In case of an emergency that doesn't require an immediate reland, I will declare an emergency, carry out a visual circuit and land back on 25.

Any questions or comments?"

The purpose, as I say, is to brief yourself. Imagine you are briefing someone else, and hopefully you may cover something that you had not up till that point, thought of.

The main briefing point, of course, is ensure your safety. Second point is ENJOY IT. If you don't enjoy it, there's no point in doing it.

Flyingmac
9th Dec 2009, 08:40
I tend to use 'I'm still learning to fly this thing so please bear with me'.
Reactions vary.

If that doesn't suit you. Write out a small prompt card and refer to it rather than trusting to memory. A 'Captains Brief Checklist' sort of thing.

XXPLOD
9th Dec 2009, 09:19
Very good Flymingmac! I find as a similar line as I'm approaching the destination aerodrome can be just as good, "Now what was it that Instructor told me about landing......"

Joking aside, I have to confess it's something I've probably abbreviated a little too much. One thing I always say though is if you feel sick, even a tiny bit, please say so - the sooner the better.