PDA

View Full Version : Word 2010. To save other folks the pain, this is what I found.

Loose rivets
8th Dec 2009, 06:37
Have scrapped the other thread to save bandwidth.

Very carefully taken a Word Perfect .wpd file and converted it to .doc

Put it in Word 2010. Let Word alter it so that it's in the new format.

"Compatibility mode" warning (in brackets after file name) disappears. Slight movement of text noticed, but all looks good.

File extension changes to .docx

Still will not print one page only.

Also, the new Word does not recognize my apostrophes. So "can't" for instance, becomes a spelling error. When I put it in Find and Replace the original ' shows as = How weird is that?

This is an apostrophe that looks fine in WP, Open Office and indeed on the screen of this Word. Spell seems to know different.

Moving into the modern world has set me back two days so far, and I'm still on the steeeeeeeeeeeeep bit of the learning curve.

Loose rivets
9th Dec 2009, 04:53
I thought I could change the original Title, but it seems not.

Anyway, I've found that I can cut-and-paste text without conversion, into Word 2010, one page at a time.

For some reason, I'm able to print any single page.

What is the gist with .docx files? It seems that they're universally disliked.

Avtrician
9th Dec 2009, 10:47
Docx came in with office 07, MS does it again.

The dislike is due to not being compatible with other office suites (OO works but), even office 2003 wouldnt open them until MS put out an upgrade??? for older systems.

You can set the defaults back to just doc and xls, but ti takes a little finding.

Just another example of MS trying to force folk to buy new stuff they dont want...

seacue
9th Dec 2009, 10:52
What is the gist with .docx files? It seems that they're universally disliked.DOCX files are wonderful and efficient, and 95% of the world cannot read them - without an add-on to their old Microsoft Word.

Word 2007 works with DOCX. I presume that there will never be such an add-on to Word 97, which I use. I mainly use OpenOffice Writer, which does not yet have such an add-on, as far as I know.

Avtrician, I'd really like to know how to set the defaults back to non-X versions. It would be a big help at the non-profit where I volunteer.

Avtrician
9th Dec 2009, 11:01
I did it to our work machine, dont remember how. it was in the compatibility settings some where, and as I wont be back to work until next year, I cant find out how.

I have started using open office myself, tis free, and works well.

One Outsider
9th Dec 2009, 14:42
I'd really like to know how to set the defaults back to non-X versions. Open the menu, select 'Word Options', select 'Save', change 'Save files in this format:' to whatever format you like.

Loose rivets
9th Dec 2009, 16:25
Anyone else got 2010, to compare notes?

It's funny, but now a few chapters are in print, I'm spotting the odd mistake that I didn't see on the screen. Even a first line popped up that I just had to change. It's bad structure kinda showed up when put on paper. Odd that.

At this rate, I'm going to pop orf with half a book finished. But it'll be a perfect half a book.:}

I had another look at Open Office. Still finding myself lost in there. Line spacing eluded me totally, yet I know It'll be right in front of my eyes - somewhere. It was with Word, and that took ages to find. :ouch:

The F1 help system in the Beta Word is useless beyond compare. Line spacing (I think it was), told us to find a forum. I'd have thought that puting out a major new program would need a good Help system as an important part of the whole. Therefore, the Beta copy should test-bed the help part with the same care that they use for the rest of the program.

jimtherev
9th Dec 2009, 17:29
Oh lor' oh lor' I'm feeling sooo guilty, since it was I who broke the news which led you to downloading the beast!

I've just tried printing existing a couple of Word docs generated by '2003 and they worked immaculately in 2010. I'll generate a couple of .wp docs and go your route and see what happens.

I go, I come back.

... to report that my old WP app seems to be corrupted & I think I've junked the cd: had a big clearout some months ago. Sorry, was trying to be helpful & failed miserably. :sad:

Loose rivets
9th Dec 2009, 21:45
Never mind. It's nice to hear from a chap that has the self discipline to throw things out. I never did/do. With the result I can never find anything.:}