View Full Version : QLink to Port Lincoln

How's it Hanging
8th Dec 2009, 02:18
V2.0 coming to you Feb 2010.

I wonder if they learnt from their mistakes last time? :ugh:

Wing Root
8th Dec 2009, 02:20
Boost for Adel-Pt Lincoln air services
By Tim Jeanes (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/08/2764962.htm)

I wonder if the crews who moved last time will be as keen the second time around.

apacau
8th Dec 2009, 02:44
I wonder how the Q400 will be rotated? A once weekly PLO-MEL flight perhaps?

How's it Hanging
8th Dec 2009, 02:48
ML-AD four days a week to rotate crews and planes.

apacau
8th Dec 2009, 03:33
MEL-ADL on a Q400... I can see some unsuspecting punters being very happy about that one!!

Even though it's a bit further to go, I thought a small capacity increase on ADL-CBR would be an option - a middle of the day Q400 a few times a week would seem to be a perfect fit!

fritzandsauce
8th Dec 2009, 03:42
MEL-ADL yes not a wise option ... good chance to get creative like an additional ADL-CBR service or try direct PLO-MEL or PLO-MEL via KGC or MGB

I wonder what their arrival procedures will be like (due to no security at PLO) arrive at gate 50 have to screen 74 pax on arrival then walk up stairs then from gate 50 to exit then downstairs again to collect luggage ... Compared to Rex arrive hop on a 2min bus ride a then a few steps to your carousel

YPJT
8th Dec 2009, 06:26
wonder what their arrival procedures will be like (due to no security at PLO) arrive at gate 50 have to screen 74 pax on arrival then walk up stairs then from gate 50 to exit then downstairs again to collect luggage ... Compared to Rex arrive hop on a 2min bus ride a then a few steps to your carousel
A very interesting point. A lot of people are waiting in trepidation for the release of the ministers white paper on aviation. What surprises or changes in relation to aviation security is anyones guess. One thing is for sure though, the anomaly of the Q400 capacity over VB's E jets has long been a bone of contention and could well lead to some changes in screening requirements.

737 wannabe
8th Dec 2009, 07:43
Fritzandsauce, the bay 50 arrivals have not had to be screened for a number of months. This includes Alliance, National Jet and Sharp Airlines passengers. There was a new walkway installed so that the pax exit straight into the Qantas valet car park. They would have their bags a lot quicker than Rex pax if they were to arrive to the 50 bays as they have a bus trip all the way around the terminal.

fritzandsauce
8th Dec 2009, 07:52
Thanks wannabe been a while since I have been down to ADL :ok:

If thats the case they sure will give Rex a fun for their money!

VBPCGUY
8th Dec 2009, 10:25
VB should have jumped on this route before QFlink with an E170, three airlines into PLO is over kill so VB have missed that boat, aside from MGB their isnt much regioanl routes in SA worth a second airline competing on, WYA certianly isnt worth it.

Flying Meat Cleaver
8th Dec 2009, 11:34
Couldn't get an E170 into either MTG or PLC given the current runway dimensions. That would require significant runway works.

FMC.

Wing Root
9th Dec 2009, 01:45
QantasLink goes to South Australia
Item by australianaviation.com.au on December 8, 2009 1:35 pm (http://australianaviation.com.au/qantaslink-goes-to-south-australia/)
The new service will see QantasLink establish a crew base in Adelaide, which could allow the Qantas subsidiary to launch more routes in South Australia
How's it hanging.... Have you heard differently?

fritzandsauce
9th Dec 2009, 01:58
From the Qantas Media Release

QantasLink’s expansion into South Australia will bring with it added job opportunities, with the airline opening a cabin crew base in Adelaide to support the growth of any additional services or routes in South Australia.

Kiwiconehead
9th Dec 2009, 02:09
I wonder if they learnt from their mistakes last time?

Pretty unlikely - QFLink management seem unable to learn anything.

fritzandsauce
9th Dec 2009, 02:20
Maybe its revenge for Rex moving in to Nth QLD :}

apacau
9th Dec 2009, 03:30
From a second-hand source - apparently the local paper (Advertiser) is advertising today for cabin crew positions for the ADL base.

Arnold E
9th Dec 2009, 07:10
From a first hand source, thats correct

wrongwayaround
9th Dec 2009, 20:42
Look as far as I can see it's a fantastic thing to happen, so long as it's economically viable and they 'do it right' this time - it will mean more jobs and a greater option of flights. Not to mention the codesharing capability with QF and benefits of frequent flier points etc etc... I think SA is well overdue for Qlink to come in and take it's place.

And the word getting around the traps in SA? Alliance, Rex, Sharp airlines, national jet - if Qlink sets up a firm base - and if they're paying more - expect your employees resume's to be handed over to the other side of the fence. Because they've come to the party with payscales. :ok:

apacau
9th Dec 2009, 21:49
Slightly off-topic but how are Sharp going on their trial Adelaide-Portland-Avalon service?

Capt EFIS
9th Dec 2009, 23:07
Does anyone know if the Apron area at Port Lincoln will be able to support the size of the Q400 aircraft? It looks very tight when there are 2 SAAB's parked there.

fritzandsauce
10th Dec 2009, 00:13
apacau - service is doing well it will become a permanent thing in 2010

Your Steak Is Ready
10th Dec 2009, 09:43
Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like there is he standard, me no think and see what floats approach coming on. The Masters of the universe in the temple of solitude have gone to the dogs.:ugh::ugh:

The Q400 is a great aircraft, but there are reliability concerns, and there is also the question of pavement concessions that will be required, for if we are tearing up CB PLQ will look like the sea wall near the PLQ international grain handling facility faster than you can say, QFL has canceled a flight again due to there being only one aircraft on the route.:D:D:D

But then again, since there is a prolific influx of check and training captains on to the fleet, there is sure going to be an enough expertise in the operation of the aircraft over the route!

Even better, they sent TQF down there last time, so ..... QOF should go down this time, Foxtrot by name, Foxtrot by nature.:E:*:E

#42 your steak is ready, and I hope you like it late and well done.

Airbusfann
15th Dec 2009, 02:08
Rex to take QantasLink to ACCC

Regional Express Holdings Ltd (Rex) has complained to the competition watchdog about the behaviour of a Qantas carrier servicing a route in North Queensland.

Regional carrier Rex has called on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to investigate QantasLink's pricing practices on the Townsville to Mackay route in North Queensland.

Rex announced in August that it would begin commercial air services between Townsville and Mackay from October 1 this year.

Rex general manager for network strategy and sales Warwick Lodge said QantasLink immediately responded by dropping its entry level fare by 35 per cent to $99 and "dumping an additional 40,000 annual seats on the route".

Mr Lodge said QantasLink's equivalent fares on the Mackay to Rockhampton route, where there was no alternative carrier, "remained at $135 and were in fact recently increased to $140".

"Rex is not afraid of fair competition and we have been competing successfully with QantasLink for the past seven years," Mr Lodge said in a statement on Monday.

"However, we do not have the deep pockets of Qantas and we cannot continue haemorrhaging on a route indefinitely."

"Very sadly, the true loser will be the consumer if Rex withdraws."

Rex operates eight flights a day between Townsville and Mackay.

Comment was being sought from Qantas Airways Ltd, the owner of QantasLink.

At 1300 AEDT on Monday, Rex shares were down 0.5 cents to $1.215, while Qantas was up eight cents at $2.66.

© 2009 AAP (http://www.pprune.org/action/displayCopyrightNotice?sourceOrganisation=AAP)

Rex to take QantasLink to ACCC (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-business/rex-to-take-qantaslink-to-accc-20091214-krgx.html)

GearUpFlapUpBeatUp
16th Dec 2009, 04:15
Hypocrties.
Fu**ing HYPOCRITES!

I have family and friends in Lincoln and have frequently travelled that route for years.

Does anyone remember the prices ~3 years ago when Rex and Qantas link were competing on that route?

$40-50.

Does anyone remember the prices once QLink pulled out?

What about the Adelaide-Kingscote route - does anybody remember Rex prices in the final months competing against Air South?

Does anybody no what they are now that they have that route to themselves?

Yes, they went back up.

I can assure you that there has been a growing amount of dissent amongst Port Lincoln residents over the recent years over Rex's perceived greed/arrogance.

QLink - I beg of you - bleed this foreign company.

BLEED THEM DRY.

fritzandsauce
16th Dec 2009, 09:28
Any airline reglarless of if its Rex, Qantas, Australain owned or foreign owned is always going to get as much money as possible when the sole operator of a route

and enough said this is about the Red rat going to Lincoln and nothing to do with the NQ competition issues

skurgler
16th Dec 2009, 09:59
Bollocks

Three and a half years ago, when REX tried its aborted entrance into the South QLD routes, Qlink come up with a reasonable ADL-PLO schedule, and a half baked ADL-KGC one. After the aborted effort of REX in QLD ( mainly due to lack of crews), Qlink pulled out of SA, and even despite their best efforts of having a tired old DHC-8, without back-up, they were doing OK

Now, REX has stirred the pot in QLD again, and Qlink is at it again in SA

Isn’t coincidence amazing.

Hey GearUpFlapUpBeatUp

Those numbers sound like the late 80s when there were piston twins operating (Malcolm C and 4 eyes), with the exception of that knew it all WA mob in 1900s, who used to drop $25.00 specials, all the time, depleting their own market, and then going belly up, owing all and sundry sh!t loads

GearUpFlapUpBeatUp
16th Dec 2009, 10:21
and enough said this is about the Red rat going to Lincoln and nothing to do with the NQ competition issues

Yeah I suppose fritznsauce.

Skurgler is probably right - it must be a coincidence. :D

Very sadly, the true loser will be the consumer if Rex withdraws.

What about when ASA and QLink withdrew services? Rex started raping the route. Granted - there were other reasons for these operators withdrawing.

It is competition.

BLEED.

skurgler
16th Dec 2009, 10:33
ASA aka Emu aka Regional Link, i.e. Air North, knew it all, no homework, got their ar$es kicked.

They are great in their own patch but

RPT: Rule one, do your homework
Rule two, refer rule one

p.s $100.00 for an advance purchase seat where Airport Owner, AirServices Aust etc probably consume half of it is hardly Raping the market, I think that comment is a bit harsh

Spikey21
16th Dec 2009, 11:41
There are some short memories around.
What did O'Conners do out of Mount Gambier when Ansett fell over and took Kendall out with them, you guessed it, at the behest of Qantas up went the fares, enormously.

What happened when O'Conners went belly up, Rex didnt raise the fares to rip the locals off, the only problem was there was now more people vying for the same number of seats and consequently the cheap seats went weeks ahead instead of just days ahead and can be seen by the locals as dearer fares.

All airlines take some advantage when they can but some seem to be more willing to do it than others but some do think locally and long term.

Aaaah the good old days in SA, clapped out old pipers to F27's and even Citations for a while (how many of you remember that ?) and the flock to Kingscote twice daily.
Seems like nothing much has changed down that way, just the planes and timetables, still a great place for a stopover though.

Airbusfann
16th Dec 2009, 14:19
Hypocrties.
Fu**ing HYPOCRITES!

I have family and friends in Lincoln and have frequently travelled that route for years.

Does anyone remember the prices ~3 years ago when Rex and Qantas link were competing on that route?

$40-50.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

In a perfect world we would all be able to fly in 400 seat jumbo jets with a choice of 8 flights a day to a town of 14000 people taking only 30 mins with full catering, always on time and all provided by young single sexy cabin crew on 100 grand a year for $40 bucks a POP!

Now flash foward to the year two thousand and reality and the cold hard light of day reveals to any half intelligent bogan that $40 dollar fares across the board are not the normal and to think so just highlights you as a fool.

Enough
said :yuk:

Howard Hughes
16th Dec 2009, 19:55
What did O'Conners do out of Mount Gambier when Ansett fell over and took Kendall out with them, you guessed it, at the behest of Qantas up went the fares, enormously.
I call BS!:rolleyes:
All airlines take some advantage when they can but some seem to be more willing to do it than others but some do think locally and long term.
Airlines are businesses and rightly so, ask the residents and vistors of Meriimbula, Moruya and King Island how 'benevolent' Rex are, I'm sure you will get a completely different picture...;)

fritzandsauce
16th Dec 2009, 23:56
What happens on arrival in to Melbourne for Qantaslink flights? Do they bypass the terminal or be security screened then walk through the terminal? If they are screened on arrival will they need to be screened arriving from Adelaide on the Q400?

Di_Vosh
17th Dec 2009, 02:19
What happens on arrival in to Melbourne for Qantaslink flights? Do they bypass the terminal or be security screened then walk through the terminal?

It depends on where the flight originates. If it is from an airport where there is security screening (i.e. Canberra and Launy, and soon-to-be Adelaide) then the pax go straight into the terminal.

If from Devonport or Mildura, then they get screened on arrival, prior to going into the terminal.

DIVOSH!

fritzandsauce
17th Dec 2009, 04:17
So then whats the go when an 'aircraft' does an unscreened sector and flows on to another screened sector? Isn't that a security risk? Couldn't someone sneak and hide a prohibited item on the unscreened sector (PLOADL) then grab it on the on flowing screened sector (ADLMEL) and on arrival walk into the the secure area and board a 737 or bigger somewhere else with the item?

Di_Vosh
17th Dec 2009, 05:44
F&S

Yes, your scenario is possible. We've had occasional amusing "episodes" where passengers being screened into Tulla have had items confiscated. Had they secreted said items in the aircraft.....well...

Your potential scenario is possibly one of the reasons that the recent white paper has recommended changing pre-flight screening for pax to include flights on turboprop a/c with a max T/O weight of 20T (which wont include either the Q300 or Saabs, btw).

But there are plenty of other ways someone can get prohibited items inside a passenger terminal.

Cheers,

DIVOSH!

rmcdonal
17th Dec 2009, 05:59
F&S
They could do that, but they would have to know that the aircraft they where travelling on for the second sector was the same as the first. Also cabin crew and ground staff perform a check of the cabin after each flight anyway….. It would look a bit dodgy if you where trying to hide something in flight.

ResumeOwnNav
19th Jan 2010, 11:10
Are crews overnighting in Lincoln?

I was just booking my flights for February and noticed that the last Adelaide to Pt Lincoln of the day arrives at 20:15. The next return to Adelaide is not until the next morning at 06:45.

The earliest flight into Lincoln from Adelaide doesn't arrive until 07:25. eg: (The below is what I found to be the most common schedule)

QF2266 PLC 06:45 to PAD 07:25
QF2267 PAD 07:55 to PLC 08:40
QF2268 PLC 09:05 to PAD 09:45
QF2273 PAD 17:10 to PLC 17:55
QF2274 PLC 18:20 to PAD 19:00
QF2275 PAD 19:30 to PLC 20:15

Or is the Q400 running to and from somewhere else in the early morning and evening?

Anybody in the know?

Nav.

eapilot2009
19th Jan 2010, 21:49
AFAIK, crews will o/night in Lincoln on weeknights, and o/night in ADL on Saturday night only.

fritzandsauce
19th Jan 2010, 23:34
I cant see 74 Port Lincolners getting up at 0645 every weekday morning to fly to Adelaide ... Though I do aggree this is the perfect time for Qlink to enter into Port Lincoln because if Rex increase their frequency and drop fares they won't have a leg to stand on with their complaint to the ACCC regards MKY/TSV

air doris
20th Jan 2010, 10:20
I have never flown REX but I have always wondered about their reiability. Every day I read the Adelaide Advertiser and browse through the flight listings for the day, just out of interest. Always above the REX listing it states that you should call the airline to check if your flight is departing on time/rescheduled due to operational reasons (something along those lines). How often do they reschedule/cancel? It comes accross as not a reliable airline.

PPRuNeUser0161
20th Jan 2010, 21:38
Hopefully Qlink are going to stick around this time, the last thing SA needs is repeat of last time. The inconvenience to the QLink employees must be annoying to say the least when you get stuffed around starting bases and moving family etc just to shut up shop soon after when some business motive has been satisfied.

On the other hand if they stay it will bring long overdue competion to regional routes and create some great employment opportunities to SA based pilots.
SN

Icarus53
20th Jan 2010, 21:38
I think you'll find Rex is pretty close to the top in OTP and the lowest in cancellations for November.

Lowest in cancellations - check.

OTP - close to the top (if you don't count QF, QL, VB). Maybe they should cancel more flights so that they can run on time with the rest!:}:E

Howard Hughes
20th Jan 2010, 22:30
On time performance (measured within 15 minutes), what a CROCK! How many of the flights depart 14 mins late? :E

roger_ramjet
20th Jan 2010, 23:38
Soup Nazi - As much as I sympathize with SA pilots (having worked there previously) all the Qlink flying will be done with Melb or Syd based pilots. At this stage only a cabin crew base will be established in Adel.
We'll see if this changes in the future - Adel might be the next pilot base to re-open (after the Canberra one of course)...

PPRuNeUser0161
21st Jan 2010, 09:11
roger
Fair enough, seems like a lot of consecutive over nights in store for the ML crews then?
SN

Karak
21st Jan 2010, 10:42
SN
Same as has been the norm for ages, sign on around 1100 LMT overnight sign off around 1200 next day. Roughly 24 hours away equates to 2 days work then minimum 24 hours off. Overnight allowances $100+. Melbourne base has very few day shifts. Seems to suit most people. QFL appears to want to make it work, (spare a/c, crews, ect.) however only time will tell!

ResumeOwnNav
6th Apr 2010, 10:16
How is competition on the Lincoln route fairing?

I flew on the Lincoln - Adelaide 0645 flight back in Feb. While there were quite a few pax, no where near a full Q400 load.

The walk to the terminal in Adelaide is a bit of a marathon...

Hoping Qlink are able to expand routes throughout SA!

Nav.

dreamer84
8th Apr 2010, 00:31
Qlink PLO pax loads are very reasonable so far. The 640am departure generally only leaves about half full but the other flights are close to full on a lot of occasions.

Who knows if it will slow after school holidays etc. but seems that Lincoln has embraced the service.

bigjet787
9th Apr 2010, 10:06
Does anyone know the rough load factor, their Freq Flyers would be helping out

YPJT
9th Apr 2010, 13:42
Now that the government has moved the commencement for screening all RPT aircraft above 20,000kg MTOW to mid 2012, I wonder if Port Licoln will be all that keen on hanging onto the Q400. Especially as they will be facing a pretty big bill to upgrade the terminal to establish a sterile area and baggage screening facility. A lot of operators, both airports and airlines, who have only Q300 or Saabs are breathing a collective sigh of relief.