PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of training in Florida?

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 2009, 22:57
Over the years, nay decades, that I have moderated these Wannabes forums there have been several constant debates. One of which has been the merit of EU citizens training for their PPL, Multi and CPL ratings in Florida.

That debate results in more threats of litigation than any other on this forum.

I don't wish to comment one way or the other on the quality of training offered by any USA based school.

My view, expressed on many threads, over many years, in many ways is that basic training is best conducted in the UK at the same school you wish to complete your CPL, Multi and IR at. The reasons are legion.

Over the years I have been asked to remove a great many threads and posts from these pages. The vast majority of which have been from USA based flying schools.

All of the above is fact and you can try to sue my hairy arse if it isn't.

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 2009, 22:59
If you're thinking of enrolling on the well advertised courses offered by XXXXXX or YYYYYY then do take note of my comments above.

v6g
8th Dec 2009, 03:05
sue my hairy arse

- thanks for that visual image - I've just finished my dinner.

acepilotmurdock
8th Dec 2009, 09:23
I feel that what WWW has said is not the whole truth. Yes there are some schools out in FL that are second rate, and use american instructors to teach a JAA course. However the school that I went to had 3 English instructors and one spanish instructor, who taught us our Multi engined CPL, and all 9 of us got first time skill test passes.
The beauty of doing this said instruction in FL is that the fuel is shed loads cheaper, and the weather is soo much better.Completed my ME/CPL in 4 weeks, try doing that in the UK.
Ace
:ok:

Mordacai
8th Dec 2009, 11:28
Dear WWW

Over the years, I have read a great deal of interesting and well written posts by yourself.

Not so this one. You fail to actually make a point, and seem more driven by frustration than logic.

There have been many posts on this forum worthy of litigation. If people would think about the consequenses of what they post, stick to the forum rules, not make false statements, or personal insults, then these threats would not arise.

Anyone wishing to go to any flight school is best advised to talk to those most qualified to comment - their alumni. You will rarely get a good reply on Pprune as too many people have agendas, and all the managers/owners of all the flight schools monitor these pages closely!

Nearly There
8th Dec 2009, 12:54
Ace,

Completed my ME/CPL in 4 weeks, try doing that in the UK.

I did at Halfpenny Green during the end of autumn into winter, so did 3 others.

B2N2
9th Dec 2009, 22:11
You fail to actually make a point, and seem more driven by frustration than logic

I don't think we have ever crossed swords WWW , but why is this a "sticky"?
By the way, just to get a little advertising in sideways, I do disagree with you on your point about training in the USA.
I think it makes perfect sense to do FAA Zero-Hero followed by conversion in Europa-land.

Made a point, there..... deal with it.....:suspect:

belowradar
10th Dec 2009, 14:45
Learned to fly in USA and had a fantastic experience at a local FBO in Clearwater St Pete's FLA, went back for CPL training and had another fantastic experience, in my view the place is pilot heaven and the best place to be a pilot (I have completed similar training in the UK and it was quite a contrast).

What's wrong with getting a tan and having some fun ?

Hey WWW How about enabling an opinion poll from those who have trained in Florida to see what the results are

e.g. q - Did you have a good experience of training in FLA / USA ?

wOULD BE GREAT TO SEE - I bet majority who have been brave enough to go there are positive !

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Dec 2009, 17:22
Some people do have a positive experience. I'm not offering an opinion either way. What I am doing is asserting the fact that for years and years there have been more posts complaining about poor experiences at Florida based schools than any other comparable region. Many of those posts have been removed following complaints.

Wannabes thinking of spending money on flying training don't necessarily know this. Hence the factual sticky.

belowradar
11th Dec 2009, 09:02
If you are after a JAR license in the UK that may make a difference to your experience

I trained at American owned and ran FAA training schools and had a great experience, unfortunately our JAA colleagues who run flight schools bring some of the UK attitude over with them.

If you fly in US then train with US and you won't go far wrong, once you are looking at JAR training then you are much more limited and there are many sharks preying on you (but some OK outfits as well but they have many customers and the customer service ethic is different)

So www how about the poll so that we get some actual data from people who have been there, many fears and objections come from those who have never flown stateside.:ok:

Matt Everson
15th Dec 2009, 09:22

What are your thoughts on building up hours in the US then?

I am going to do all my training in the UK, but would like to build my hours up in Florida, due to the good weather, cheaper fuel etc.

Matt

Aerouk
15th Dec 2009, 23:31
Matt you should go to South Africa. I've got a lot of friends who have went their to do packages and have loved it.

Whirlygig
15th Dec 2009, 23:37
Agreed; slightly longer flight but less jet lag when you get there.

Cheers

Whirls

Photon85
21st Dec 2009, 10:52
If you want to do your flight training in the US of A, my suggestion would be to not take anything the schools themselves say at face value.
Talk to someone who actually attended the school, previous students and previous instructors.

Something I've come to learn after spending time in the USA is that many of my countrymen (including me), are rather naive in regards to what foreign flight schools will do to take your money more efficiently.

Still however, it's a better option than doing the training back home IMHO, especially the chance of working as an instructor (which was the major selling point for me before moving over). Just make sure you get stuff in writing from your school, and that you talk to recent graduates/instructors to get the real story.

ShipShape 79 Charlie
23rd Dec 2009, 22:09
Better still......how about the JAA Florida School that is so confident of great JAA instruction, great aircraft and a great location that they let you come out for a weekend, fly 3 hours, see the school, see the accomodation, sample the life style and do it for less than the cost of 3 hours instruction in the UK......around about $750!! Gotta see it to believe it.........ask OFT, OBA, EFT, NAC if they will do that!

Oh yes and all the instructors are JAA qualified too (as well as currently flying for airlines and corporate operators when not instructing)...and they are also JAA Examiners as well.........so standards are of the highest quality!

PM me for details..........or ask Key Grip on here...he knows how good it is!

FANS
29th Dec 2009, 13:32
Reading between the lines of WWW's post tells you all you need to know.

The slick websites of certain schools looks very appealing, but the problem is that too many students sign up for full courses without so much as even seeing the school and it turns out a shambles for one of a hundred reasons.

Then again, what do I know, as I think you should enjoy your training and not do it the cheapest/quickest etc way.

cTcPilot
3rd Jan 2010, 01:00
Many moons ago I completed my Private Licence at Naples Air Center.
There is alot of bad things said about the place and also alot of good things...!

Naples Air Center Now train the Sponsored pilots of a well known UK airline.

Nothing fancy about the place, go there, get what you paid for, and come home.

Ormond Beach are ment to ok aswell for the Private, dont know about commercial though.

bedix84
3rd Jan 2010, 09:29
hey Guys, what about EFT in ft.Pierce.
I'm planning to do my JAA ME/Cpl in there.
Any suggestion or information would be appreciated!
Many thanks
Cheers:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Jan 2010, 20:25
Yeah - thats mighty fine.

OBA
18th Jan 2010, 14:39
Test Post 18 January 2010 10:40 EST

ale_mcdowel
25th Jan 2010, 18:59
Had a bad experience in NAC along with other many students at the same time. It looks like they only look after the money and not after your formation as a pilot. Its my most sincere advice. Good luck in training.

Zammit
27th Jan 2010, 21:10
Hey guys, i'm new here. I was just wondering if i could get any help....i live in malta (in the mediterranean) and already have a JAA PPL and will be doing my JAA ATPL CPL ME from next march at EFT in Florida. I was just wondering (actually worrying) if there would be pilot jobs for inexperienced pilots just like me. Would working as an FI help? Thanks

Zammit
27th Jan 2010, 21:13
maybe i'll see u there.....i'll be starting the fast track to cpl next march

BoeingMEL
5th Feb 2010, 10:38
...after many years of warnings and dire stories/experiences in Pprune... you head for Florida and shovel out thousands of $$$$$ upfront! Sorry ol' buddy, no sympathy here! :ugh: bm

BoeingMEL
6th Feb 2010, 07:20
So, you got a better rate by handing over $$ thousands upfront. Looking back, how much an hour did it finally work out at?

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2010, 18:29
Just stop being gullible, ignorant cheapskates and get you basic training done at a quality school where you also do your proper JAA CPL/IR.

Muppets.

If its cheap its ****. Something you can apply to nearly everything in life including flying training.

wheelbrace
6th Feb 2010, 19:13
Has the bulkhead blown, finally?

I am somewhat alarmed - the usually succint and diplomatic tone is lost and I get the feeling that a combination of saturday night, empty wine bottle and full whine bag has gotten to our economist.

That said, accurate as ever! Adam Smith would be proud.

belowradar
6th Feb 2010, 19:27
WWW Has lost it completely

Mayday ! Mayday ! Mayday !

Can't hack the coctails, can't stand the heat, got to stick with rain and fog bound blighty

Oh dear what a shame !

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2010, 20:03
I am right though.

The PPL forms the foundation of your flying skill. Just as with a house, cheap foundations are never ever a good thing.

The heartache expressed here over years of cheap Florida training would be enough to propel a decades worth of female-singer-songwriters to the moon and back. Thus my advice to stay the F away. Regardless of the school, airport, state, location, history, fleet, approval or quality of advertising.

There's more likely a brilliant school within 60 minutes of where you live in the UK/EU.

Mordacai
6th Feb 2010, 20:35
and just because you are a moderator WWW you get to make your opinion a 'sticky'. Pretty pathetic. I see pprune are still very happy to accept money from the Florida FTO's to advertise despite YOUR opinion which you get to force feed the forum just because of your moderator status.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2010, 21:43
If I wished to crush dissent and engage in propoganda I'd have deleted your comment and taken a far harsher line than I have. So get over yourself.

wheelbrace
6th Feb 2010, 22:51
:{'and just because you are a moderator WWW you get to make your opinion a 'sticky'. Pretty pathetic. I see PPRuNe are still very happy to accept money from the Florida FTO's to advertise despite YOUR opinion which you get to force feed the forum just because of your moderator status.':{

This is rich; as I recall a thread was deleted in July 2007 at the behest of EFT, regarding the quality of RT examinations at their location. By a local examiner. Who had nothing to do with the school. Despite being listed as one of the owners. Oh, and regularly examining CPL skills tests.

It would seem that this is a dubious privilege extended to sponsors.

Are you seriously suggesting that moderators moderate their opinion on the sponsors' say as well? I am sure that you would agree, Mordacai, that business is one thing, freedom of speech another? Are you not taking the sponsors' privilege a little far?

Mordacai
7th Feb 2010, 01:53
No, don't delete any posts at my behest. I am speaking for myself, not for, or on behalf of EFT. I am an instructor at EFT.

My opinion is simply that I feel that WWW is abusing his position as a moderator by making this a sticky. He is entitled to his opinion, but let the thread live or die. I am entitled to my opinion but I don't get to make it a sticky. He is allowed to vent his vitriol, but I am told to get over myself?

Has WWW even visited the Florida flight schools?

Remember this is coming from the moderator who suggested that all wannabees should declare bankruptcy upon completion of training.

PPRuNe Towers
7th Feb 2010, 10:16
I'm the one who tours the flight schools Mordachai.

As Trevor can confirm going right back to when he trained my wife for a PPL in the Brooksville days.

I was able do a lot of mystery shopping visiting Florida up to 10 times a year and even included the skydiving and gliding joints. And now, as I approach my dotage, I find my kids fit the desired profile so nicely the process continues very effectively.

I don't have to add any more though as potential students can scan posts regarding your own school, the problems you've had in the past and your fulsome posts promising to make things right.

Everything spicejetter said about recovering from a bad training experience is absolutely true:

Stranger in town. Well, in the country actually.

FTO holds all the cards with the visa and money up front.

There's a long history of folks being asked to pay offshore to create further problems.

Student on a fixed timescale, a barely sufficient budget and, due to age and life experience, seeing instructors/owners as far higher up the aviation pecking order than reality warrants.

Every penny they have or can raise committed - nothing for a lawyer.

But most importantly of all Mord. Spend more than half an hour with FTO people in Florida and the conversation turns to the internal anger, aggression and strife between the Floridian schools. Such and such owns the school - how can he be the examiner. Non stop, never ending backbiting and slagging that makes PPRuNe look like a kindergarten.

Now contrast that to a student in the UK.

Found yourself in a crap school, one that doesn't deliver the goods?

They can't keep your training records.

They can't wave your visa over your head.

Holding your money? Just go online - fill in your claim - pay 10 quid and the court system is triggered.

Err, that's it. The legal system gets going for a tenner.

I look forward to the rebuttals from you, Socal and any other expat instructors.

Rob

Mordacai
7th Feb 2010, 12:28
No rebuttal from me. I simply feel that this thread should not be a sticky. As a matter of interest, how long is it since you visited FL?

DERG
7th Feb 2010, 14:05
the title says it all.........

When ya get a minute look at a map of the world..when ya realise (realize) that England is about the same size as upstate New York it should.. well kinda.. get ya thinkin'. Or maybe not?

Why do ya think they banned the BBC programme "Top Gear" from the USA?

wheelbrace
7th Feb 2010, 16:09
The thread's stickiness is, for the most part, irrelevant; that written is now in the public domain.

WWW has obviously hit upon a nerve that has caused Mordacai to react, as history shows, in character, but is probably the reaction of most operatives at Floridian FTOs.

Mordacai - you protest too much regarding your interests, in my opinion. You state regularly that you are not the voicepiece for EFT and are working alone on various points raised on fora. Yet, when EFT's administrator fails to account for account black holes, you raise a defence on behalf of the company with nary a word from official management - the silence of its absence quite deafening on the website.

This shouldn't be misconstrued as a personal attack on Mordacai or any other individual engaged in training in Florida - I believe it is a problem with JAR (as was) FTOs in Florida writ large. For reasons that PPRuNe Towers put so eloquently. They are all within the conceptual reach of the law but without the financial reach of most individuals. It would seem that the ultimate sanction to these operators is a risible artifice which can be hidden behind cravenly. Do right because it is right, not because it is the law.

Maybe it is time to regulate these places properly; CAA representatives performing spot checks, secret shopper surveys? That would cost money... it would put up the price of training, but expensive dreams should only be enlivened if you can afford to lose the stake.

If you subscribe to the notion that the CAA is only there to make life that bit more unbearable, then you should appreciate maybe their backing the 'approvals' list for foreign FTOs with legal aid to subscribers. Should a regulator merely uphold regulations or should they be helpful as well? Just a thought - possibly a new thread?

DX Wombat
7th Feb 2010, 16:45
I know it is a long time ago but just ask yourself why did the RAF choose Canada and South Africa to train some of their pilots in WW2? The USA shares a border with Canada. Makes me think "why?"

mcgoo
7th Feb 2010, 17:01
They trained in the US too.

redsnail
7th Feb 2010, 17:02
More likely because they were in the Commonwealth I'd have thought.
Canada and South Africa declared war at pretty much the same time as did the United Kingdom.

USA didn't enter until a few years later. Therefore there may have been a legal issue about training people for war in an "independent" state. (Maybe)

DERG
7th Feb 2010, 17:02
My UK school pal's dad was trained to fly the Mosquito in Canada.
He said they lost a lot with guys just "messing about".

ukblue
8th Feb 2010, 21:12
Rob, whilst you are doubtless correct about the training records and the lack of a visa issue it would be slightly naive to rely on the UK legal system to guarantee protection.
Back in the 90s I and a number of other pilots were ripped off by a classic snakeoil salesman. The incident ended up in the national press, Flight International were slightly embarrassed as they were carrying his adverts, the police were actively involved and pursuing the gentleman in question with a view to a fraud prosecution. All seemed on track for a successful legal conclusion, faith restored in UK law etc. Unfortunately this did not come to pass as the person in question unfortunately (a cynic might say conveniently, I couldn't possibly comment) developed a dread disease which the police were lead to believe was going to be totally debilitating in very short order; unlikely as it may sound, the police showed some compassion and decided that further punishment was unnecessary and dropped the enquiry. Imagine my surprise when I find recently that said gentleman managed to continue his aviation "career" for a further 6 years, it would appear that conmen just keep on conning.
Unless you have the cash to pursue a private prosecution, which is unlikely if you have just paid for an ATPL, you will have to rely on the police and courts and unfortunately they can be conned as effectively as anyone else.
Caveat emptor and protect yourself at all times.

PPRuNe Towers
8th Feb 2010, 22:00
Secoat, SFT and very recently again with PFT. Many, many others. The joys of limited company law.

All shut down but always remarkable how the senior figures reappear. The Green's, the Boltons and Fishers.

I really must remember one day to suggest people don't pay up front - I'd never thought of it before:eek:

Rob.

wheelbrace
8th Feb 2010, 22:43
Why are these characters allowed to continue peddling grubby mendacity? Most professional bodies have a code of ethics which disowns them even if they legally can continue in practice. Is there not such a body in aviation?

Personally, I would lay this responsibility at the feet of the regulator. Surely the UK CAA has a view on this? It would make their life so much simpler if they knew that all applicants for licensing had been to an approved institution which, to the best of their knowledge has individuals of probity and integrity.

One could argue that the government should have a role in this. On second thoughts, maybe not.

wheelbrace
19th Feb 2010, 11:48
Anyone had dealings with this character? Is his track record indicative of standards in Florida?

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/406160-stephen-fisher-cfi-ormond-beach-aviation-loses-examiner-approvals.html

miguelgrilo
21st Feb 2010, 22:51
Hi all! I'm from Portugal almost completing my ATPL (A) Frozen, and I'd like to get an Instructor's Rating soon after I'm licensed. Because of high prices and qualitatively speaking, CFI courses here are of a lesser kind, I've opted to try and join a CFI course in the States; preferably in Florida.

With my limited resources on the internet, I'd like your opinions on what a best option of a school would be. Basically what I'd need is a school that approves JAA CFI (A) training and of course accommodation nearby the targeted airfield :)

So far I've found an attractive looking Flight School named EASA (Euro American School of Aviation). Hopefully their A/C are in tip top shape!

Thanks in advance,
Miguel

overclock25
22nd Feb 2010, 15:30
Don't go to EASA wich is the old school named Ormond Beach Aviation in the past! The owner is Mr. Fisher, he is just a shark, he wants just your money, nobody finished the training on-time! tens of hours more to fly (and pay), I had as instructor the HOT of the school (the name is Bill) every day he said that I was not prepared to pass the test, I was scared about that also because during the extra training he said to me nothing, just "turn right hdg 230, turn left, make turns". The morning before the exam, he said that was impossible for me to pass it, I was tired about that school, did the test and passed with an examiner from arizona!

I was happy to get out from that hell!

Keep your eyes opened!

Florida Pilot
12th Mar 2010, 13:32
Ok - so technically and legally, we can persue a Floridian flight school should we find ourselves in a situation whereby we need to persue the matter in the courts.

The only thing, although there is nothing legally stopping us from doing so, taking a Floridan flight school is complicated and expensive, so much so that I am yet to find a single account of anyone bringing the matter to court, notwithstanding the fact whether they were successful or not?

Or am I over simplifying??

spicejetter, it can be complicated but does not have to be. I posted this in another thread.

Foreign plaintiffs have the same rights but are at great disadvantage in suing domestic defendants. For lawsuit were the amount to be recovered is over $5.000, beside the cost of representation these suits can last years. A US defendant may purposely delay and slow down the legal process so to cause extra expenses on the foreign plaintiff.

On the other hand in Florida if the claim is for less than $5.000, a plaintiff can use the “Small Claim Court” system. It is much faster, simpler and no attorney are allowed. This system is rarely used by foreigner simply because when they feel wronged the first thing they do is contact an attorney. Attorneys are unlikely to recommend small claim since there is no money in it for them.

I also posted some information on the Small Claim Court process.

Any courthouse will have the forms needed to file your small claim. I think the fee is $175.00

Here are the rules of procedure for Small Claim Court

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBRes...df?openelement (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.floridabar.org%2FTFB%2FTFBResources.nsf %2Fattachments%2F5e3d51af15ee8dcd85256b29004bfa62%2F%24FILE% 2FATT9QYRJ%2FSmall%2520Claims.pdf%3Fopenelement)

Here are good information on the Small Claim process (info provided by the 8th Judicial Circuit Court)
Pro Se Small Claims Court (http://circuit8.org/sc/)

Anyone thinking about going to a flight school in Florida should do some extensive research (Same goes for any other States)

The better business bureau should be a good start!

United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings (http://www.bbb.org/)

Search the online archives of the local paper Florida Newspapers - Florida Newspaper List (http://www.usnpl.com/flnews.php)

Search the county clerk of court website (lawsuits, liens etc.) Clerks of Court (http://dlis.dos.state.fl.us/fgils/coclerks.html)

Search the Florida Division of Corporation website (find out who the officers / directors / agents of the schools are). www.sunbiz.org - Document Searches (http://sunbiz.org/search.html)

Before filling a lawsuit, I would contact the Florida General Attorney's Office (Consumer Protection) Florida Attorney General - Consumer Protection (http://myfloridalegal.com/consumer) and the local media (some have investigative reporters).

I would not file suit before having exausted all means to resolve the problem out of court.

Remember information is power!

stupix
20th Apr 2010, 00:00
I am a UK PPL holder and have been re located to Miami Florida, whilst I am here doing my day job I want to build my hours and flying experience and go on to get my CPL and FI rating as upon my return to europe in a couple of years I want to go into teaching.
I have been here for 6 months, I signed up to one local school here and went for my first flight with them, only to find the aircraft was in an awful state and the throttle came off in my hand whilst climbing after take off. (This being only one of the problems)
After having paid the fees for the TSA finger printing etc and with the knowledge that I will have to pay the fees over again when I find a new school I am wanting any recommendations for schools in the south Florida area to do my CPL and eventually my FI.
Also I am trying to work out if it would actually be best to continue along the JAA route or go down the FAA route and convert at a later date.
Any advice gladly received.

carbonfibre
20th Apr 2010, 17:35
I have experience of both UK and US.

I can say without any doubt that there is good and bad on both sides of the atlantic, I have had very poor cases of customer service in both.

The above mentioned SF was one of them and should he appear at any school in any form I would not hesitate to recommend students stay away.

I have had a poor experience in the UK also not to the same extent, however, I would say that most of my flying has been conducted very well and to a high standard here and in the US.

Having flown at 4 different schools their (US) the only one that was of the poor standard was run by SF (UK)

The dis-service is like most things to label everyone the same is as poor as the training that's being suggested, the valid points have all been stated, just keep them in mind.

In fact if anybody knows where Dan Collins is now from Huffman in Venice can they pass me the details, excellent pilot instructor!!

:E

UncleNobby
21st Apr 2010, 21:31
Go out and visit schools, kick tyres and ask questions. best way to find out.

punk666
21st Apr 2010, 21:47
If its a JAA CPL you want then you will have to go to either Naples, Orlando flight training or Vero Beach.

As far as I know you cant do an FI rating out in the states but I may be wrong. I personally would go down the FAA route as its quicker and more realistic than what the JAA lot put you through. I converted my JAA ME CPL to an FAA stand alone CPL in 10 days. The IR can be done in 14 days and you can fly the same day you pass.

'I' in the sky
22nd Apr 2010, 14:42
Carbonfibre,
Can I ask which of Fisher's manifestations you experienced and when ?

netlordr23
27th Apr 2010, 07:35
PTC in FL is the way to go for your CPL, forget Naples or Orlando.
The airplanes at FIT are state of the art. Seriously.

BigGrecian
27th Apr 2010, 16:04
If its a JAA CPL you want then you will have to go to either Naples, Orlando flight training or Vero Beach.

No...

European Flight Training - Fort Pierce (http://www.flyeft.com)
Orlando Flight Training - Orlando (http://www.flyoft.com)
Naples Air Centre - Naples (http://www.flynac.com)
Ormond Beach Aviation - Ormond Beach (http://www.flyoba.com)

As far as I know you cant do an FI rating out in the states but I may be wrong.

Yes you can!
JAA Flight Instructor Courses - Florida (http://www.flyeft.com/fi.asp)

a higher plane
27th Apr 2010, 16:56
The Pilot Training College have got approval to do the JAA CFI course in the US>

They do it in Melbourne in conjunctiom with the US University FIT. It might be worth looking at.

cjd_a320
27th Apr 2010, 17:15
Thought Steve Fisher has ( how shall i put it) "relinquished" his CAA examiner approval... :?:

flyboss
27th Apr 2010, 17:43
Yes you can

www.flyeasa.com (http://www.flyeasa.com)

BigGrecian
28th Apr 2010, 12:07
The Pilot Training College have got approval to do the JAA CFI course in the US

It's not called a CFI under JAR. It is a Flight Instructor (FI)

PTC do not offer this course, it's not listed on their website. They will offer the FAA CFI throught FIT though I guess.

European Flight Training (www.flyeft.com/fi.asp) offer it and as the poster who was unhappy lead light to so does EASA (http://www.flyeasa.com/ratings.php)

carbonfibre
28th Apr 2010, 12:23
I in the sky

Can I ask which of Fisher's manifestations you experienced and when ?

You can, however i must say that apart from his customer service skills he was an excellent pilot, which in itself is a shame as he could have made an excellent name and money without ripping people off........ so apart from the money, getting account wrong, incorrectly invoiced, hrs wrong and his usual blow up and froth at the mouth when you challenged these things ..... that was about it.

His other half was just as bad as she controlled the accounts, creative i think is the term used.

My experience did go back to 2001 in Stuart, not sure where he ended up? Wherever he was I am sure he was discovered quite quickly to be ....... , how can I Put this, "slightly unstable"

:=

mauli747
29th Apr 2010, 16:18
I just had a disatrous experience at OBA/EASA in March this year - never ever go there, just a big WASTE of money and TIME!
Any questions - ask me!

The Lost Cumbrian
22nd May 2010, 19:56
It is hard to really get to grips with the stupid and incorrect statements made on these PPrune forums.

Rumours are just what the word means - rumours.

Captain Fisher has NOT 'relinquished' his CAA examiner ratings, in fact the CAA have withdrawn all their insinuations following the flawed and totally spurious allegations made by three students who failed to reach the CAA standard for their particular courses.

Folk who swallow false rumours and make snide comments, should do what Dad always does ...keep Mum!:=

Pitch+Power
26th May 2010, 13:52
Just back from EASA.
No complaints.. enjoyed my time there, and got done with minimum fuss.

Talked with students who were back for 2nd, or even 3rd time for hourbuilding.

Will def return myself.

feduke
24th Jun 2010, 15:22
I'll "read betweenthe lines" for you

Here's my two cents (after training in Florida a couple of times, it's all I can afford!). Although I've been to two Florida flight schools not all of the points can be said about both. Once was pretty good in fact, but reading other people's posts from the big 4 JAR schools in Florida, these are my tips.

"British owned and operated" - means NOTHING. The people running the school may be British, but they are US companies and are subject to US law.

YOU have NO LEGAL RIGHTS whatsoever if things go wrong. If you are unhappy and want to leave, it will cost you DEARLY. There is no Citizens Advice Bureau or equivalent that has any powers to do anything.

Thats why you only go to accredited schools. You do have rights and if you are mistrated the school can lose accreditation, thereby lose all visas. And there is always the courts.

If the school goes bust, YOU LOOSE EVERYTHING. You are a foreigner after all, and US law is not there to protect you. NEVER PAY UP FRONT, EVER EVER EVER. No accredited school has ever gone "bust."

THE CAA DO NOT CARE. You may think that all will be ok after a quick call to the CAA when things go wrong. Unfortunately this is not the case. You are ON YOUR OWN - the CAA do not want to annoy the FTOs over there and risk their all expenses paid inspection trips to Florida and they will do very little.

Check, check and double check contracts BEFORE you sign over a penny, book time off work or book a flight to Florida. Read the small print. My £3000 CPL cost me £1700 to Cancel, having flown for just two hours, and despite the cancellation fee being listed at 25%. Not to mention an emergency repatriation flight home (I was given 24 hours to leave Florida, and made to promise I would not approach another school for training [see point below]). So all in all, I got less than £1000 back. Of course. You should do that any time you sign any contract. Duh. Know their refund policy before you decide on a school. Just ask.

If you do want to change schools - you can't. Your original school will cancel your visa, meaning a very expensive one way ticket home. You then need to do the whole visa process again, returning the Florida once approved to go to your new school. Complete nonsense. Schools transfer visas every day and they do all of the paperwork for you.

And NO - I am not one of "the ones who were always down the pub" - which allegedly the ones who are trouble makers. I kept my head down and got on with it - and things still turned out VERY nasty!

Consider the exchange rate, lack of low cost flights to Florida and the increased living costs of being away from home. Yes a few weeks with Micky Mouse was great, but looking back I'd rather have saved my money and went back on holiday - flight training abroad is not as exotic as you may think. You really could be anywhere as so see so little of the place.

You are going to spend a lot of time and money. Spend the money to go visit your top 2 or 3 accredited choices, and demand to have private time with current students and instructors that you choose at random. There are some very good, very proud and caring schools in the USA.