PDA

View Full Version : B777 rudder balancing after painting

MATMAX
7th Dec 2009, 16:49
Hi Guys,
Can you tell me about it ?
No need answers like : " have a look in the AMM ".
Anybody got experience in that ?
Merci.

glhcarl
7th Dec 2009, 18:25
Hi Guys,
Can you tell me about it ?
No need answers like : " have a look in the AMM ".
Anybody got experience in that ?
Merci.

Flight control weight and balance requirements are found the Structural Repair Manual Chapter 51-90-00.

Tinwacker
8th Dec 2009, 02:36
I hope the rudder wasn't painted while fitted to the aircraft?

If so the rudder, similar on all other aircraft I can think of should be removed and re-balanced.
The rudder is held horizontally in a cradle and the leading edge weight is then measured on weighing scales. Mass balance weights are then added or subtracted accordingly.

This is why only the rudder is seen painted on factory production aircraft, prior to full aircraft painting - balancing had been carried out prior to fitment.

TW

Fargoo
8th Dec 2009, 11:37
I'm pretty sure the only aircraft on our fleet that has its rudder balanced off the airplane after painting is the 737.

You can work out the balance moment of the rudder and balance it on the airplane using the info in the SRM (ie 767 its SRM 51-60-03) which takes away the need to remove the rudder for balancing.

BigJoeRice
8th Dec 2009, 18:39
I was the bank representative for a B777-200 strip and repaint and the all the flight controls remained installed for the paint job. The metallic sections were stripped back to bare metal, the composite bits were sanded smooth and any delaminated areas (2) were repaired. The whole aircraft was sprayed with the famous green primer and two coats of Imron white, then the customer livery colors,decals and logo's were applied. The paint drawing, paint, and required decals/registration were bought off by a DER for FAR compliance. The flight control surface balance was checked and confirmed by calculation per the SRM procedures, then checked against the previous operators paint records to ensure that the calculations remained within the operational limits.

Hope this helps.