PDA

View Full Version : Getting your head down, down south.

KentBrockman
14th Oct 2001, 02:09
just saw this, thought people might like a look at it. Should be no complaints about crew duty time if it comes off.

13/10 (19:11) RESIDENTS CONSIDER LEGAL ACTION AGAINST ARMY HELICOPTERS

By Ruth O'Reilly, PA News

A residents' group in south Armagh is considering taking legal action against the British Army over helicopter noise, it emerged tonight.

Any action, based on the recent Heathrow Airport ruling, would be aimed at grounding flights between 6pm every evening to 10am the following day.

Troop movements in the border area of south Armagh are heavily dependent on helicopter support, and the heliport in Bessbrook is reputed to the be one of the busiest in Europe.

Earlier this month anti-noise campaigners beside Heathrow Airport won a case in the European Court of Human Rights. It ruled that their rights were being violated by night flights to and from the airport.

South Armagh Farmers and Residents Committee said it was to petition its local district council next week for the legal and financial backing to bring a case about the noise of military helicopters.

A statement said: "Of late we have received numerous complaints about day and nighttime flying from residents throughout the south Armagh area.

"Particular concern is voiced over the amount of helicopters ferrying cargo from Bessbrook military barracks to the bases and joint British army/RUC barracks in Crossmaglen and Forkhill.

"It is believed that building supplies are being brought into the bases as construction work and refurbishment is visible."

The committee was established in 1997 to campaign for the withdrawal of British troops and the removal of observation posts and other military equipment from south Armagh.

The committee said it was to present a letter of request for backing to Newry and Mourne District Council on Monday morning along with a 32-page dossier on the Heathrow ruling.

Nothing like a lie-in. Can I do a 4 sir? :D

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: KentBrockman ]

Helmut Visorcover
14th Oct 2001, 04:33
Sir, may I point you to this website http://sinnfein.ie/index.html . Find the SAFRC homepage and have a quick gander.

You are all naughty boys who are just cabbying around the area for no reason whatsoever. There is no threat that all vehicles will be land mined/ambushed/generally given a bit of harsh language. The perpetual flying regime is only there as a top flying training exercise.

PS. go to map of South Armagh page/SAFRC. Now I was a 5 banana for a while and I certainly didn't have half those on my map. Does that make me a tonk 5 bloke or a crab?

:confused:

murphy
14th Oct 2001, 05:24
Map, MAP!!!!!

Yours

Murph x x x :D :D :D

dwaynedibley
14th Oct 2001, 15:28
Didn't think you lot needed a map down there.
When the crabs do take them most of them end up out of a window somewhere :D