PDA

View Full Version : NZ Skyhawk dump even more misguided?

MarkD
13th Oct 2001, 14:59
At a time when Government ministers in Ireland are tossing around in the papers the notion of interceptor purchases [more likely to be cast off Hawks or Alphas rather than F3s or F16s], has anyone being pushing to the comrades the notion that Wellington or Auckland might need fighter protection from a Sept 11 type incident?

Samuel
13th Oct 2001, 22:03
Mark, Sept 11 was not prevented by a country with the most powerful air force in the world, and a few Skyhawks would have had little effect. While the USAF might be able to shoot down a fully laden 757 now, it'll will be an extremely brave man who issues the order to do so.It is also costing megabucks to maintain that fighter cover,and I doubt any country other than the US can afford it.Also, the strike force (NZ)had so many swingeing cuts to it's operations before being scrapped it served no useful air defence function.

Helen Clark cancelled the best deal ever made for the purchase of F16's. She is unlikely to consider the purchase of any British aircraft,

The Parliament building in Wellington is called the Beehive because it is round and not unlike those old-fashioned honey jars I recall from school-days.It was designed by Sir Basil Spence on the back of a table-napkin, and it shows. It also attracted the comment, when Sir Rob Muldoon , known as "Piggy" was PM, that NZ was the only country that kept pigs in a beehive.If anyone is thinking of blowing it up, Helen is on the 7th floor!

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: Samuel ]

MarkD
14th Oct 2001, 00:45
Fair comment Samuel. There are however persistent press rumours that RAF F3s are patrolling Irish airspace...

mrfish
14th Oct 2001, 02:51
Fair call Samuel but....

NZ is small enough that even the Skyhawk could reach AKL in 24mins WGTN in 7mins and CHCH in 28mins if required. (From TO at Ohakea)

Capping NZ is not a capability we have...or could afford. You are correct.

Putting and A4 (or 2) on the line...with a pilot ready to 'scamble' is a Govt call, but we could do it. Tedious as it maybe national defence from seen and unseen enemies is our job! (and a Govt responsibility)

Either for or against, after 8 Dec we will not even have the options outlined above.

The comedy is that the 'Greenies' would probably be up in arms about having a 'loaded' jet on the flightline. Then again do we own any 'winders' that aren't life-ex?

Avoiding Action
14th Oct 2001, 13:48
MarkD,

The Irish government allowing a couple of F3s to cap over Dublin, or even your neck of the woods?

Now that would be worth seeing. SF might have something to say about that one... :D

MarkD
14th Oct 2001, 17:50
To be honest I thought it was all boll*x when I saw the headline in Ireland on Sunday [which was pretty "green" before the daily mail takeover] saying that Leuchars had F3s about, presumably keeping an eye on DUB which tv reporters have exposed as somewhat lax in the security dept. [although no news to subscribers to the Irish Av BB]

But then the Star [owned by our Knight of the Realm Sir Tony of Heinz55] joined in... strange bedfellows I thought. I would certainly think they would be guarding routes to MAN or Sellafield rather than Dublin central.

That last is not a feeler in case some F3 driver thinks I want operational info to be discussed - this is merely speculation on what the press are claiming.

If we do buy interceptors it'll be whatever Mr. Inside Track at Atron is selling...