against the US, according to a
broadcast on a Taliban radio station.

Deputy chairman of the Taliban council
of ministers Mullah Mohammad Hasan
Akhondsaid a jihad was being resumed.

He said it was unimaginable that terror
attacks had been committed by the
Taliban or by Osama bin Laden.

Not only will this give Bush a signal for some fireworks but the minority of Afghan imigrants could get out of hand in any global country. I suspect that the UK could be a short time away from a lesson in the power of "religeon". Every citizen will be affected in coming months with a feeling of insecurity. Still, we may get a decent pay rise next year
:confused:

BEagle
18th Sep 2001, 22:19
Religion? - or that "My God's bigger than your God" bolleaux?

"6 Goat Biryani, 2 Islamic Jihads with Basmati rice, 3 dozen poppadums, 8 nan bread and sixteen pints of lager please! We're 2 SAS teams and we're bleeding peckish!!"

YakYak
18th Sep 2001, 23:17
It was only a matter of time before the Taliban leaders played the religious card:

"O mankind! We created you from a single pair, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other and not despise each other..."

The Koran, Sura 49, Verse 13.

This Jihad is a result of fantacism, political posturing, terror and oppression - and has nothing to do with the true nature and teaching of Islam.

Let's hope it is a means to finally release the impoverished and opressed Aghani peoples from the stranglehold their "government" has over them.

Samuel
18th Sep 2001, 23:26
Doesn't "Jihad" carry a variety of meanings, much as our "crusade?" In which case, how do we actually know what they mean in this instance?

heloplt
19th Sep 2001, 03:50
Well...heck...so long as the Vietnamese stay communists...and do not convert to Islam we might do okay here.

Helmut Visorcover
22nd Sep 2001, 04:20
Damn bored tonight so I thought I'd look up a few things, after a caution from a nice policeman outside a girls school I decided to surf the net and found a couple of things out. I wasn't too sure what this Jihad malarkey was all about so did a bit of looking and found this from a Muslim BB (UK);

< Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.>

<Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).>

<Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.>

<Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic State. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.>

(Although the second to last statement seems to be a bit of a contradiction!)

Well, from the horse’s mouth as it were.

Hopefully that rules out giving Mr Abu Umar the local green grocering Muslim a good kicking. His beliefs would run similar to Christianity, not that I'm burdened by religious beliefs so what do I know. Asbach is the divine right of the chosen few. (Mistress, you know where my beliefs lay!)

Should the perpetrators be found to be 'true Muslims', the best course of action would be to hand them over to a 'true' Muslim state. No doubt Sky would do a pay per view of their "prison sentence".

Next weeks lesson will be on Mongolian goat herders; their secret Heroin addiction.

If you were/are a Muslim, how would you feel about your religion right now and how would you feel about how people judged you? Not a provocation, just a general question.

DP Harvey
23rd Sep 2001, 02:53
IMHO the attacks in the USA were not carried out in the name of religion. Sure, those men were fanatical and they were Moslems, but that doesn't make them religious extremists.

They did what they did because they simply hated the USA and its western partners. To the extent that they were prepared to kill as many Westerners as possible and die in the act.

RVR800
24th Sep 2001, 18:52
The Real IRA Omah Bombing was perpetrated
by Christian Catholic sympathisers

and like the WTC murderers they have no real
faith either..

Jews Christians Muslims all should subscribe
to the Old Testament 'Thou shalt not kill'

flapsforty
24th Sep 2001, 22:23
Helmut to get at least part of an answer by someone who has been on pprune for a while and has spoken out on the issue of the muslim faith before sept 11th as well, have a look at this thread on JB:

web page (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=005065&p=1)

and read what G-OODY has to say. It's informative.