PDA

View Full Version : Afghan light relief

sprucemoose
12th Oct 2001, 15:24
Sorry to all those fiercely serious types, but how about a light relief-type thread regarding some of the finer items to have emerged from the newspaper/magazine and TV coverage of the current crisis?

Here are just a few of the howlers which I have enjoyed so far:

The B-52 is a stealth bomber and 'scours' for targets.
The Canberra is a turboprop.
The Predator flies at 60,000ft with an accompanying fighter (nice one, Frankie).
The USAF is flying EF-111s and F-4 Wild Weasels.
The RAF is flying Buccaneers.
The USAF flies an aircraft called the 'River Joint'.
USN fighters return to carriers with bombs - or S-3 Vikings land carrying drop tanks.

RATBOY
12th Oct 2001, 16:36
Some real howlers out there. River Joint is a typo for Rivet Joint. S-3Bs do trap with drops. F/A-18s or F-14s don't like to trap with weapons aboard but sometimes must in blue water operations.

The Sweeper
12th Oct 2001, 16:48
Ah, but surely the prize goes to the BBC News website and their picture of an E2C Hawkeye FIGHTER...

Seven of Nine
12th Oct 2001, 17:37
I saw a report from the Pentagon correspondent for Fox News, here in the USA. He informed everyone that the RAF aircraft involved in the current op were Tornados launched from HMS Invincible - now that I would like to see!

Gainesy
12th Oct 2001, 19:36
Daily Mail. :D

Low and Slow
12th Oct 2001, 22:12
Laughing my bo*"%cks off...

3m Strop Carrier
13th Oct 2001, 00:46
One paper reported F15s and F16s taking off from a carrier.

2.5M
13th Oct 2001, 01:36
An entire regiment of the Kiwi SAS were rushed to an Auckland department store.

There were reports of Summer Bed Linen on the 3rd floor. :p :D ;)

Samuel
13th Oct 2001, 04:13
CNN reporter: twice;"Anti-aircraft fire is shooting upwards".

henry crun
13th Oct 2001, 06:14
CPF: Do try and post something original.

Any fool can take a joke and alter a name or title. :eek: :eek:

Dr Schlong
13th Oct 2001, 06:46
Surely imitation is the sincerest form of flatery? ;)

henry crun
13th Oct 2001, 08:43
Dr Schlong: agreed, in some situations it is.

Merely trying to point out that the pathetic example by CPF only illustrates the lengths some people will go to show their blind prejudice.

tony draper
13th Oct 2001, 15:48
Here's a pick for you chaps. ;)
http://www.ernieshouseofwhoopass.com/pictures/antijihadrocket.jpg

TqNrT4NgGreenlightCWP
13th Oct 2001, 20:31
..and did anybody else notice 'Desert Spice' getting out of that ARMY chinook (BBC News)?
Accept it, lads, its only a matter of time now anyway... :p

RRAAMJET
15th Oct 2001, 08:17
Yup, the "carrier-borne Tornado" - twice - from Fox.....

B-52 weapons payload: 600 000 lbs ( Fox - again ).

To the journos out there: a ten-minute call to a pilots' union would put you straight on these facts (military and civil). These were not breaking news stories; there was time for research. Even a modicum of effort would be an improvement... :rolleyes:

Smoketoomuch
15th Oct 2001, 17:35
From that esteemed journal of record 'The Sun' ;
"The “smart” JDAM bomb — one with its own on-board satellite".

Follow Me Through
15th Oct 2001, 23:41
Absolute classic on CNN on that infamous 11 Sep day shortly after first WTC Tower collapsed - some expert called in to speak and said ' of course this isn't unique' ?!!!

Incipient Sinner
17th Oct 2001, 16:21
Plastered all over the front page of a popular tabloid this morning, "The AC130 Spectre, in action!"

But, quite blatently not a picture of a gunship. Pretty picture of flares being rippled off though.

Even a look through any other paper would have put them right on that one.

phs
17th Oct 2001, 17:35
Tony Draper,
wher did you get that one from?????
Mind you, they arent the first people to think that an F15 looks something like a Hornet.I guess they now are made by the same company (wash my mouth out with soap). Long live the Mac D Hornet.

Kiting for Boys
18th Oct 2001, 12:26
Clicky ba clack many skulls
http://colinspace.future.easyspace.com/charcters.html#Anchorwolfofkabul

fobotcso
18th Oct 2001, 14:23
Now that would excite the the tree-huggers if it were published today!

I thought Alf Tupper was around in the early 50s. One of boyhood rôle models but not quite believable!

fobotcso
24th Oct 2001, 21:32
Two so far this week:

Mon 22 Oct BBC TV Midday news; "Israeli jets were in action over Palestinian territory today launching ground-to-air missiles."

Today BBC Breakfast TV: Dr Pope (I think?) who is a climatologist was being interviewed about the floods; "...the weather is so unpredictable..." Not AFG, I know, but worth recording.

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: fobotcso ]

Luca_brasi
26th Oct 2001, 11:56
Saw one in the Hearld Sun in Melbourne.

Special Forces perform HALO jumps over hostile forces by jumping out of the bomb bays of the B-2 Stealth Bomber at over 40,000ft

:rolleyes:

sprucemoose
26th Oct 2001, 19:32
Good one in the house today from a Lib Dem reporting a wide outbreak of trenchfoot among 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines. There are plenty of blisters about, but I didn't see that much water in the trenches when I visited them this week!

Smoketoomuch
29th Oct 2001, 20:21
Brian Barron, your intrepid reporter in Oman;
'The Chinooks will be fitted with high-velocity machine guns'
They'll be replacements for the low-velocity ones I presume?

gravity victim
30th Oct 2001, 02:06
Today's Daily Telegraph informs me of problems with Lynx and Giselle helicopters in Oman... :confused: