PDA

View Full Version : Marinised Apache

CleanAirTurbulence
12th Oct 2001, 12:06
Anyone have any info about a Navy apache variant? I have heard rumours that the mod are looking into a sea going cab. (Since the Magnesium rotors react with sea water i've heard that plastic bags will be employed. Don't ya just love this military!)

Any thoughts - rumours?

Cat

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Oct 2001, 12:55
Moved to Mil Forums from Wannabes..!?!?

fobotcso
12th Oct 2001, 13:43
...and now you should delete it or "freeze" it.

Any form of speculation about future military deployments is unacceptable - even if it starts in the humorous, beguiling manner that this thread has started.

The is no conceivable reason why the question posed is a suitable topic for conjecture at the present time. :mad:

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Oct 2001, 14:10
eh?

If this were to happen it would hardly be a classified project would it?

I can't see why this speculation reveals anything Saddam could not already have considered?

Jackonicko
12th Oct 2001, 14:59
Fobotsco

You're being over-protective here. No-one's asking about specific deployment dates/areas etc., and even if they were, it would doubtless by then be in the public domain.

Being over-protective about deployment details (whether of conceivable help to an enemy or not) merely encourages the press to ignore any strictures placed upon them.

In this case, the question is about providing a capability which could not be of any relevance for years, since it would take months of design work and clearance.

In answer to that question, I'd simply point out that the many obstacles to shipboard operation (EMC, salt-water corrosion, the type of blade folding employed, the aircraft's dimensions) prevented the USMC from acquiring the aircraft, and instead forced the Corps to concentrate on developed versions of the AH-1 Cobra. This is perhaps the helicopter we should have acquired if shipborne deployment is to be part of the requirement.

fobotcso
12th Oct 2001, 17:20
WWW and Jacko. Quite surprising answers from two PPRuNers who have often showed greater clarity of thought.

Neither of you is qualified to know how much a potential enemy knows or what might be useful to him if his thinking and research is helped by public discussion.

You don't even know who all the potential enemies are.

And, before you say it, I don't know all these answers either.

It is not good enough for you to say "it is in the public domain", therefore we can all have a good cag about it.

Firstly, let the bad guys do their own leg work. While they're doing that, they can't be doing something else.

Secondly, those who join in anonymous discussions - especially new PPRuNers - are often anxious to air their knowledge and go one better than the last guy. Thus, it may not even be the topic of discussion that is compromised by a lose remark.

Jacko, you love writing your essays to show how clever you are and have just done so again. If the rules, and the spirit of the rules, restrict you doing your job, then you'll have to find a work around solution.

Because we don't and can't know what might help an enemy, and we don't know who might be the enemy reading these Forums, there is only one safe rule.

When we are at war, and our troops are in harm's way, don't speculate about any aspect of our military capability.

When the war is over, you can go back to your didactic discussions with rather fewer restrictions but still with an eye for security.

"Over protective" you say! That you set yourself up to be the judge of what is a correct level of protectiveness in time of war is astonishing. I might even say arrogant and selfish if I really wanted to let fly. Maybe you haven't worked out yet that we are almost certainly in the early stages of a long and costly war. :mad:

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: fobotcso ]

Taff Missed
12th Oct 2001, 18:10
Must be true then.

Vortex what...ouch!
12th Oct 2001, 18:30
Shhhhh.... stop talking.

NoseGunner
12th Oct 2001, 19:29
Stop it, stop it!
No one is to stone anyone until I say so even if they do say "marinised apache"
Ouch. ;)

Sumo664
12th Oct 2001, 20:46
From the Army web site

How does WAH-64 differ from the Apache Longbow?
...blah blah ..
Folding blades, to facilitate operations from ships.
http://www.army.mod.uk/aht/Contents/faq/faq.htm

oh and

Phase 5 - AH Support to Amphibious Operations. Subject to a Service Level Agreement with the Royal Navy, one attack squadron will be double earmarked from January 2004 to provide support to amphibious operations. SHOL trials begin in mid 2001. http://www.army.mod.uk/aht/Contents/programme/index.html

Not exactly top secret is it!

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: Sumo664 ]

Self Loading Freight
12th Oct 2001, 20:50
"That you set yourself up to be the judge of what is a correct level of protectiveness in time of war is astonishing."

I don't care what the New Yorker said, irony ISN'T dead!

R

Low and Slow
12th Oct 2001, 22:04
In 1995 McDonnel Douglas gave me a presentation on "SEA APACHE" - or SAH-64 - and I wrote an article on it for "Rotor Mission." - So I'll now shread and burn myself.

I am VERY qualified to judge that I should destroy myself - or at least certain Joint Service Organisations used to believe I was :) - and the basic rules don't change.

I presume we now can't talk about JSF either!!

Paul McKeksdown
13th Oct 2001, 00:36
What is a marinised Apache? Place in a spicy sauce and leave in the fridge for 24 Hours????

Remember:- Westland bought rotordyne! Perhaps we can put the engines on the blades!!!!!!

Helmut Visorcover
13th Oct 2001, 01:35
Nowt wrong with the Rotodyne, Paul! Way ahead of it's time. Unfortunatly, when Wastelands bought out Fairey, their Westminster was a higher priority so they binned a real potential world beater as opposed to ploughing money into a private venture with no future apart from a turbine test bed. A result from the lack of interest from the boys at Yeovil resulted in major contracts 99% secured by Fairey lobbed in the bin! Nice to see things don't change. Also good to see that you can make a living out of a hobby making helicopters. History lesson over.

Next week, the TSR2, Labour Governments and investing in our defence for the future. :confused:

Tourist
13th Oct 2001, 02:38
fobotsco = tool