PDA

View Full Version : Now this isn't a time for soundbites, but...

Hengist Pod
17th Sep 2001, 15:01
"I feel the hand of history on my shoulder."

Trouble is it's about to reach down and grab him by the boll0cks if he continues to "stand shoulder to shoulder" with the supreme intellectual that is George W. If we're "at war with terrorism" hadn't we better look a little closer to home first and then perhaps give Spain a hand with ETA. Come on Tony, you're a smart bloke. Allow Dubya's crusade to go pear-shaped without us and stop appeasing the fu*kers who've been widow-making here for over 30 years.

gravity victim
17th Sep 2001, 16:23
Very eloquently put, HP.
The 'reductio ad absurdam' of Tony's rhetoric is Tomahawks over Kilburn and Dublin. One could almost respect him more if he preached appeasement of Muslim fundamentalism - at least he would then sound consistent. As it is, Tony's oratory is like hearing a Churchill wartime speech read out by Neville Chamberlain. :(

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: gravity victim ]

The Mistress
17th Sep 2001, 18:28
If he were consistent he would offer bin Laden a seat in the House of Commons who could then keep Martin McGuinness company. I'm sure they would get on like a building on fire.

This wasn't meant to be funny. I have lost track of the number of times I have shed tears since last Tuesday. The last time I felt like this (total, numbing shock) was as a young school kid watching news of the Aberfan disaster break on TV. I grew up in a coalmining community and knew that I could so easily have suffered a similar fate. Aberfan was an accident. What happened last Tuesday was cold, calculated murder, a long time in the planning. Something we have seen on mainland Britain time and again.

It is the sheer scale and number of dead that all of us are having trouble coming to terms with. No matter what their nationalities, the dead and injured were ordinary people going about their ordinary lives.

Yes, we have to take appropriate action. I hope the response is as cool and calculated as the crime.

I don't feel either Blair or Bush are up to what may be facing us over the next few very precarious weeks.

All of my daughters friends are RAF 'brats'. Their Dads are all "away" at the moment. I would very much like them all to come back and soon.

gravity victim
17th Sep 2001, 19:16
Mistress,
Your post touched a chord.
Like you, my kids have lots of friends at their boarding school with dads away serving (Navy, rather than Air Force, brats.) At their chapel service yesterday it was unbearably moving to see all those small bowed heads as we prayed for the well-being and safe return of our soldiers,sailors and airmen. God watch over them all.

K52
17th Sep 2001, 19:29
The Mistress

We have crossed swords before but this time I am in total agreement with you.

I watched the events live as I had just got home, having missed the Lunchtime news, and tuned in to see what was going on in the world.

I phoned my Brother (who works in Finance in London) to tell him and watched, in total disbelief, as the second aircraft hit the south tower. I won't repeat what I said over the phone.

Our "Leaders" are full of phrases such as "A War against Terrorism" - but where are "They" going to get the Personnel? The Forces have been decimated by indifference and redundancy schemes (in 1974 we were told that the redundancy scheme that year was a "one off" and would never happen again!!!)

If we are going to fight a "War against Terrorisom" then where do we get the manpower? As our leaders have declared it is a "WAR" then we cannot, under the Geneva Convention, use the Police to guard strategic points as Police are not allowed to participate in Acts of War.

If we are indeed going to fight a long campaign to eradicate Terrorism then we will have to invoke the "Defence of the Realm Act" and recall all those who are still on the Reserve.

I think I will buy a house in France!!!

1.3VStall
17th Sep 2001, 20:15
11 September 2001 will remain forever etched in my memory, just as I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news of Kennedy's assassination. My 7-year old son was physically ill when he (unknown to me) switched on the TV and caught a newsflash of those horrible events.

It is because I care so much about the future for him and his brother in this World that I both grieve for the USA, but also stand squarely behind whatever they have to do to eradicate forever this unspeakable evil.

However, to witness Tony B Liar - with his track record of unctious IRA appeasal - talking of standing shoulder to shoulder with the USA at this time almost made me physically ill.

I jumped ship some years ago, but my thoughts are now with those still serving who will undoubtedly get swept up in all of this. I hope the politicians have the moral courage to use the Armed Forces sensibly and with due regard to all the consequences.

YakYak
18th Sep 2001, 02:36
This time last week I was excited about my brother and boyfriend planning to come home for chrsitmas.

Now I am worried if they will both be alive for christmas.

A lot of joy has gone out of my life since last tuesday. A sad thing at only 19. Before they commit themselves, let's hope Blair and Bush remember what happened last time a war against 'A Great Evil' was launched.