PDA

View Full Version : Converting your SA CPL to FAA in africa

sebi69
4th Dec 2009, 11:02
Hi there !
I need to convert my SA CPL into FAA in order to fly a US registered plane in chad.
Is there any FAA exam center in south africa or on this continent where i could do so?
If not any US based school anyone could recomend?
Cheers.

ab33t
4th Dec 2009, 14:33
Sorry Boet , get on a plane and book an appointment and to the USA you go ,you will have to do the CPL exam that is not much of a hassle - and then a check ride and then you will have your FAA conversion . You may as well do the whole CPL because that it pretty much what it is.

ab33t
4th Dec 2009, 14:35
Try ATP you can get your ME/CPL for about $3000

aryakethan
5th Dec 2009, 15:19
Exactly Where U Getting Job In Chad Wat Is The Company Name N What Is The Requirements

Malagant
5th Dec 2009, 17:20
Go onto the FAA website or contact them by phone, they are always really helpfull, it will cost you alot less then just jumping on a plane and goiing there, you need to complete the lengthy TSA vetting before you can start training etc, it`s not that easy just to go and quickly get a licence as many here in SA seem to think! You can get a validation but get the requirements from the FAA! Good luck!

Gooneybird
6th Dec 2009, 06:15
Call a flight school there, ALL ATPs as an OP said are a good one, they will explain the process to you and whether you need a TSA clearance or a verification of your existing license or both. Either way, as Malagant said it's a lengthy process in terms of the bureaucracy required.

malboroman
6th Dec 2009, 06:49
get tsa training clearance . . Can take up to month for back ground check.. .look website for requirements . Need to get faa ppl in USA so you can fly there for test . Contact all atps for 3 day written and flight test. Whole lot take about month or so maybe can do tsa clearance in states more quickly now?

Gooneybird
6th Dec 2009, 08:00
Basically call a good flight school there that handles lots of international students, they know the system backwards and will give you current advice.

ATP Flight School: Does ATP train international students? (http://www.atpflightschool.com/international/index.html)

This is a good place to start but do please call them and ask them first before going off and beginning any of the process. The license verification, for example, is made to a particular regional office of the FAA depending on where you will be doing your training.

Malagant
7th Dec 2009, 14:27
Go the FAA website and get the info from them, then select your flight school, once you have paid them go the TSA website and start doiing the application..(the TSA won`t process your application until they get notified from the flight school you have selected that you have indeed registered and paid with them) if you doiing an initial type rating plus ATP test you will have to apply for class 2 training request. Read the application carefully to see what applies to you. You will have to scan every page of your licence, medical, passport and last 3 pages of your logbook, make sure they are really large and clear or you will have to do it again. Get a US visa, then once you get to the US, you can only do the fingerprints at certain locations, some flight scools do it but make sure where you can do it. I am not sure but I think you might be able to do it at the US Embassy in Pta, but find out when you doiing your visa application. You can start your ATP groundschool or type rating ground school but you cannot do any training on sim or aircraft until you have received final approval from the TSA. I recently waited 2 weeks for a recurrency training request just because of illegible documents, and we go there regurlarly. With the new system you wont have to resubmit unless you have a change in your licence and or passport! :ugh:PM me if you need any more gen. Good luck.

Maurice Chavez
7th Dec 2009, 19:12
Malagant is absolutely right, however, I never have to do a TSA check for recurrent training. Maybe something you want to look into...

Malagant
8th Dec 2009, 05:10
If you want to do recurrency you have to put in training request for class 4 recurrency and can`t get into sim unless you have a final training approval, and you have to start it within 180 days after it was granted. We just been to CAE now and finished ground school and had to wait 3 days before we could get into sim..they full of crap now!:{