PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Fly In USA

jazzy
4th Dec 2009, 04:32
Hi there every1.

I have a mate who lives over in the USA and recently he bought himself a Learjet 35A and the other day he asked if I would like to fly it for him.

I have an Australian CPL with Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, a Senior grade 3 Instructor Rating and approx 500hrs.

Now Obviously I know that I won't be flying out of the left seat but I can out of the right seat and I don't mind flying out of the Right seat to learn all the ropes.

But Need to know how to get a green card and where to do the Endorsements etc and what wages I can expect so I'm not ripping myself or the whole Pilot wages Industry (you know people that will fly for free, not me sorry)

Thanks In Advance

S.F.L.Y
4th Dec 2009, 06:35
you know people that will fly for free, not me sorry

People ready to fly for free? Really? Why don't they simply fly for one of their mate who owns a Learjet?

INNflight
4th Dec 2009, 08:03
Getting a work permission for the states as a commercial pilot with relatively low hours is about as easy as becoming their next president.

Unless your American friend really really helps you through the loopholes I think chances are loooow. The US have never been a level playing field for foreigners.

But then again......find yourself a Californian girl and marry her.....easiest way probably :ok:

lear60fellow
4th Dec 2009, 12:43
You can work there until you get your 1.500 hrs, then you take the FAA ATPL, I donīt remember the tricks but you can get a work permit under a VISA scheme (E-1, F-1,, canīt remember but I think itīs a student VISA that allows you to get experience under remuneration).

jazzy
5th Dec 2009, 00:16
hello learjet60fellow thanks for the Info. and i'll way for it and s.f.l.y. NO my friend is going to be paying me to fly his aircraft.

but thank u to all anyways

if i got any other questions i will post them up

S.F.L.Y
5th Dec 2009, 00:42
Of course he's gonna pay you. What I was trying to say is that their might be some reasons why people are pushed to fly for free as not everyone is lucky to have an opportunity like yours and it's easier to comment that to be in such situations.
Good luck to you anyway :ok:

fernytickles
5th Dec 2009, 00:51
Jazzy,

What a great offer!

Check out the Customs & Immigration Service website for green card info. USCIS - Green Card (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD)

Allow about 3 years to get a green card. Thats how long it took us. And a budget of quite a few thousand dollars. Without one of those you don't have much of a chance of being allowed to earn money. That website should help with info for you.

Try googling forums for expats living in the US from your area. You will find lots of helpful info on those, with people giving details on their experience of dealing with trying to get a green card.

Good luck.

jazzy
5th Dec 2009, 21:27
hey guys thanks 2 every1 helping me out and will keep u posted of the out comes...cheers

jazzy
6th Dec 2009, 23:13
ok now he tells me that the aircraft is with a company that handles all the operations etc..... which might make it a little hard to fly for him as the company requires alot of experience... so i was wondering how much pull my mate would have with the company to employ me and start down the bottom of there pecking order.

falconflier
7th Dec 2009, 14:26
So the aircraft will be placed with a management company ? Will it be under FAR part 91 or 135 ? With your flight time, you may be eligible under part 91 but it will be a bit harder under 135. Typically when owners place their aircraft, the crews are part of the deal but sometimes not. 135 involves considerable more paper work, TSA & background clearances, etc.

OFBSLF
7th Dec 2009, 16:35
I think you are underestimating just how hard it is to get permission to work in the US. Think several years and kilo-dollars to an immigration attorney, and you still might not get it.

stilton
7th Dec 2009, 22:13
You could marry a California girl as a short cut..

As long as you don't mind giving her half your income for the rest of your life when you part :eek:

OFBSLF
8th Dec 2009, 02:02
Stilton, there have been many people over the years who participated in sham marriages between a US citizen and an immigrant, solely so that the immigrant could gain legal status here in the US. As a result, the US immigration authorities now scrutinize such marriages very closely indeed, so marrying a US citizen is no longer a guarantee of being able to live and work in the US.

stilton
8th Dec 2009, 07:43
OFBSLF, that is probably true, especially with all the post 9-11 hysteria.

It doesn't change my (only slightly) tongue in cheek remark !

OFBSLF
8th Dec 2009, 16:19
OFBSLF, that is probably true, especially with all the post 9-11 hysteria.
That scrutiny started long before 9/11. More than a few folks had quickie "marriages" that were marriages in name only (sometimes with the immigrant paying their "spouse" for the privilege), and shortly after the immigrant partner received the desired status, they got divorced. As a result, immigration applications from folks in this sort of situation are treated with great suspicion.

BritishGuy
8th Dec 2009, 16:56
I hate to burst your bubble. Being a realist (and so sorry to be so harsh), but IT ISN'T HAPPENING. You can't legally work here and with so many pilots on the street here your friend will have to prove why he's bringing a foreigner in to fly when there are a million here to chose from. So that door is closed. Also, with no or little experience do you really think the insurance companies will want to touch you (unless your friend will pick up the extortionate premium). Your answer. NO.

Sorry to be harsh, but just saying it like it is. I do hope something works out for you though. We were all there at some point.

OFBSLF
9th Dec 2009, 20:18
I hate to burst your bubble. Being a realist (and so sorry to be so harsh), but IT ISN'T HAPPENING.
I agree completely. It just won't happen.