PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flying into Sishen?

NorthSouth
3rd Dec 2009, 20:59
Does anyone fly into Sishen (FASS) regularly? I have a project there and want to know a bit more about the use of the instrument procedure.

NS

flyboy2
4th Dec 2009, 04:10
Hi
Hope you're Instrument Rated?
Better get some serious practice beforehand!

Last time I looked FASS had a NDB approach plate.
You'll need to interpolate the latest QNH from FAUP & FAKM to set it for FASS.
The amount of times you'll need to use a letdown procedure there will be very few as the area is semi-desert; but there are exceptions.

SAA201
4th Dec 2009, 07:58
Anglo fly there regularly (twice a day) with the Dornier Jet. :ok:

CALCULATOR
4th Dec 2009, 08:01
Sishen even has a VOR now but no approved procedure!

Also you can tune your radio to 121.00 and on 3 clicks on this freqency you will receive the latest winds ans current QNH.

Before you take off you can also SMS ' vfass' to 35010 and you will also receive the weather details and QNH for sishen and lastly try www.vitalweather.co.za (http://www.vitalweather.co.za)

Go well

NorthSouth
4th Dec 2009, 08:50
Sishen even has a VOR now but no approved procedureAh, that would explain why I could only find the NDB plate but not a VOR plate on the CAA website. Is there a company-approved VOR procedure for the Anglo Dorniers or do they still use the NDB procedure?

Looking at the NDB plate, it seems pretty rudimentary - available only in the 17 direction due to FAR 25; OCH 852ft; missed appproach point a mile and a half *past* the airfield; and an FAT alignment which would appear to deliver you to a point about 500 metres laterally off the centreline at the threshold. No use for anything but circling as far as I can see, but then again as you say flyboy2 I don't suppose it's needed very often up there.

NS