PDA

View Full Version : Calling all historians: RAF Chaklala

Cyprus countrybred
3rd Dec 2009, 18:56
Can anyone tell me what year the RAF pulled out of Chaklala? I have been trawling t'interweb but no luck so far...

Many thanks for any help

cc

A2QFI
3rd Dec 2009, 19:08
I am no historian but I guess it would certainly be before India gained Independence and/or the partition of the country and the ensuing religious nastiness.

Just found this with Google which seems to suggest that the RAF were gone before independence.

Chaklala was already functioning as an RIAF station well before independence and a Para Training School (PTS) was located there. On 12 January 47, a medical training centre under the command of Squadron Leader Haque was also established at Chaklala. On 14 August 47, the PTS had the honour of presenting the guard at the lowering of the RIAF ensign for the last time when RPAF Station Chaklala was born

Old-Duffer
4th Dec 2009, 11:49
The best date you'll get is the last Form 540 for the station. The National Archives at Kew will hold copies but if you search the on-line catalogue it will probably indicate how far the 540's come forward to. Next best bet, ring DORIS at the RAF Museum. Third option, try AHB(RAF) at RAF Northolt.

All depends how accurate you need to be.

Cyprus countrybred
4th Dec 2009, 18:51
Thanks for your help, guys!

cc