PDA

View Full Version : Typerating

Heliarctic
3rd Dec 2009, 15:59
Hello Chaps
I was wondering how typical it is amongst LAE´s to pay for their own typeratings. Is it a common practice or hardly seen?
Given the length of a typerating course on eg.large fixed wing a/c it must be an expensive ordeal to venture out on.
What´s your experience?
Regards Heliarctic

spannersatcx
3rd Dec 2009, 16:34
contractors can/do, permie staff not normally.

ProfEng
3rd Dec 2009, 17:09
What some don't appreciate is that a type Theory course certificate (tuition cost £2.5 - £4.5K approx.) is worth little without the Practical certificate to go with it, and that Practical training is usually more expensive per day than Theory training, if and when you can find it.

Practical type training costs are up to £450 per day per person for a structured course, perhaps even more; this could mean £5K+++ on top of the Theory course cost, not counting accommodation, travel and loss of income.

A connie should not even contemplate paying for a Theory course unless it comes with guaranteed, good-quality, well-organised Practical training at a stated price, or there is a guaranteed job waiting which will provide the Practical training and assessments.

It is possible to buy Practical type training stand-alone on popular types at least, although great caution is needed when assessing the Part 147 provider, location, Pt 145 operator involved and the amount of care taken to deliver a properly structured course in total accordance with EASA Pt 66 and Pt 147, with good instructors and assessors. Beware cowboys; there are some dodgy schemes around.

And then there is the work experience requirement, as distinct from Practical Training, to be acomplished. This means normal full-time work on the exact type (airframe and engine) for which the rating is for, for a continuous period of 2 - 16 weeks dependent on previous experience and other ratings held. So a connie needs to be confident of obtaining that experience within the time limit before investing in the Theory and Practical training.

Sonic Bam
4th Dec 2009, 01:54
It's becoming more and more common particularly right now when the business is slow for connies and even people that had been in full time permie work until recently. I know a couple of guys who have done just that.

Yes, you need the practical experience to get the type rating on your licence but having the course certificate will get you a foot in the door for a permie position for that type before somebody without the course cert if the employer can't get somebody suitable already type rated and is prepared to take you on to get the required experience.

You could look at it another way - most companies apply a training bond :mad: on you when they send you on a course (I'm talking permies here) so as a permie you end up paying for your course in a way whether hard cash if you leave or loyalty / retention if you stay.

Heliarctic
7th Dec 2009, 15:48
Thanks for the info guys
Reason for this thread was that i inquired about a course a while ago from a reputable training organization and nearly fell off my chair upon recieving the cost´s. And wondered how many pay for typeratings themselves, if any.
Regards

TinyTim2
15th Dec 2009, 09:08
Some of those figures are not too accurate .

I have just completed an A330/340 type course , it was done in Malta as the cheapest EASA approved course available at the time . Total cost without allowing for lose of earnings ( I am a contractor ) was approx 15,000Euro inclusive.........
When i worked for the "Worlds Favourite" they provided evrything and paid for license renewal / extensions , albeit eventually and retrospectively...