PDA

View Full Version : Plantronics C70 Wireless GAP DECT Headset (and similar)

The late XV105
3rd Dec 2009, 15:39
When in the UK I spend most of my work time working from home, and a fair part of that time engaged in long conference calls. I use a normal domestic DECT phone in my home office for this, but it has two shortcomings

"Speak up, I can't hear you" from the other party when I use it in speakerphone mode on the desk
That it disconnects an ongoing call if the handset goes from hands free to docked in the charger cradle during the call

With some careful juggling I can work round the second problem by taking my corded phone off its cradle, docking the DECT phone, grabbing a second DECT phone, resuming the call, hanging up the corded phone (which served only to keep the line alive as my DECT handsets do not support call transfer), and switching the DECT phone to speakerphone mode, but then the first problem still applies!

Quite by chance though today I came across the Plantronics C70 Wireless GAP DECT Headset that appears to operate as a "dumb" DECT device. i.e it is registered with the base station and used simply as a speech device, the actual call being handled by a DECT handset.

Does any PPRuNer have experience of this or similar devices before I spend the spondulicks, please? Of particular importance is battery life!

TVM
XV

mad_jock
3rd Dec 2009, 19:11
I had something sort of similar if I have got your need right.

It was what we called a Madonna headset.

It clips onto the user port on the DEC phone which then stays clipped to your belt unless you want to dial a number that isn't a voice activated speed number.

Spent nearly a year and half with this set up. Left the dec on auto answer 5 rings. Leaves both hands free for keyboards and also doesn't mean you get a knackard back and shoulders from clamping the phone to your ear.

Only thing to watch though is you forget to turn it off auto answer when you go to the bog.

Just did a quick search and found this site

Phone Headsets - Nicomm (http://www.nicomm.co.uk/Headsets/Office-Headsets/Phone-Headsets/sc1309.aspx)

Or if you want a cordless extension

Wireless Telephone Extensions (http://www.beststuff.co.uk/wireless_telephone_extension.htm)

I use one of these so I can get telephone control over my central heating system. Means then you can plug a normal fixed line phone in and run a headset of it.

The late XV105
3rd Dec 2009, 20:06
TVM, mad_jock. Your first link lead to another, which lead to another, which has ended up with me ordering a Plantronics C65 DECT GAP headset from Amazon.

It just occurred to me that my BT Home Hub v1 is DECT GAP compatible (the non-BT DECT phone in my garage is connected to it so I know phones other than BT Hub phones do likely work). If I therefore synch the C65 headset with the DECT facility in the Home Hub I can not only hand calls over to other handsets in the house with ease as they will be on a different base station but I can use it for my I.P. telephony too. :)

Cheers,
XV

mad_jock
4th Dec 2009, 14:58
Sorry about that, I did test the link on fire fox and it seemed to work fine.

Only reason why I preferred the transmitter away from my head is because I didn't like the idea of all that EM right next to my lug hole. And at the time there were a heap of studies about folk getting skin burns off the things.

The late XV105
5th Dec 2009, 22:49
Nothing to apologize about mad_jock! :)

I meant that I clicked your link (which worked) and what I found prompted the thought process to research something else, and so on a few times, ending up with me choosing the C65 from Amazon.