advice anyone?

salary / job satisfaction/ any info at all

thanks

Ruffles1960
3rd Dec 2009, 13:54
Give Ops a miss...you will turn into a bully

decy
3rd Dec 2009, 14:02
oh? so u recomend aircraft maintenance then? whats the better career choice?

decy
3rd Dec 2009, 14:10
thanks,,whats the salary though? during traineeship and after?

Ruffles1960
3rd Dec 2009, 14:50
Ops is good salary...starting on £37,600 but it will turn you a little bitter after a while. My mate turned to drink after a while and another one went off the rails shaved off all his hair and moved to Switzerland?? think of the money though

Ruffles1960
3rd Dec 2009, 15:06
Ops watch more football on shift than Andy Gray...if u like footie your sorted.
If I were you though I would get a bar job in Ibiza..the weather, the girls and the lifestyle is way better than an office job.

decy
3rd Dec 2009, 16:28
37 k starting off? jaysis,,, and footie while on shift? even better

altho sun and girls on beach seems more temptin haha,,,i shud mention the company is ryanair,,,so em,,does that change the salary and perks a lot?

Dr Illitout
3rd Dec 2009, 22:50
If you have any doubt about your direction in life DON'T waste somebody else's apprenticship. It takes four years to train an aircraft engineer, not even half that to train somebody in ops
Engineers are the elite of the ground crew. Let a kid who is dying to mend aircraft do that.
I thank God every day for the fact that somebody else didn't think they MIGHT want to be an aircraft engineer ahead of me.

Rgds Dr I

templarmaster
4th Dec 2009, 01:04
Ruffles / Opsbully. With salaries like that, I'de like to join whomever you work for !!!!

decy
4th Dec 2009, 02:15
DR,,no apprenticeship would be wasted because the airline industry to me is very special,,every area of it,,im just trying to choose the right career in it thats all..thats why im gathering information,,so i dont take somebody elses apprenticeship as you say...just exploring my options..nothing wrong with that,,ive been trying to get back into aviation for a long time and now i have options,,so i think im well in my right to do research

mrmagooo
4th Dec 2009, 07:49
If you love fixing stuff then engineering maybe for you. Everybody will try and blame you when things dont go to plan. If your sole motivation for becoming an engineer is money then dont bother. There is as much money to be earmed elsewhere. However its not too bad, I get around 40k but Ryanair pay more, but they get more than their moneys worth. I.e uniform, car park pass, airside pass etc etc etc

Dr Illitout
4th Dec 2009, 10:30
What I ment is that when somebody gets an appreticship and then chucks it after a few weeks/months into it, THAT is a waste. My cousin was number six on the list for five apprenticships. A week into the apprenticship he got a call saying that one of the guys had dropped out already and would he like to start a week late! Two months later another guy did the same but it was too late then to call number seven on the list!
Good luck with your decision.

Rgds Dr I

Ranger 1
11th Dec 2009, 15:40
Looks like a rare job opportunity has arisen at BRS on the Airside Ops dept, I have just heard it through the grapevine today.
A bit different to Airline Ops and Dispatch, but an important part of the day to day operation aircraft also an enjoyable job as well.:ok:

Advert over.....

Merry Christmas!

Flightmech
16th Dec 2009, 09:13
If you take a job in Ops you'll be trained to have an instant dislike of Maintenance :E

EGT Redline
16th Dec 2009, 12:09
If you take a job in Ops you'll be trained to have an instant dislike of maintenance

Due to the rock star wages maintenance guys earn :ok:

simonchowder
16th Dec 2009, 12:53
Speaking as someone who supplies both engineers and ops staff to the industry theres no doubt if you manage to become a type rated licensed engineer you will be able to command far more money generally speaking than ops types can, however its NOT a easy option, its a demanding job both from a academic and a physical point of view, line engineers in particular are expected to be out in all weathers day and night sorting out the aircraft , it also carries a high degree of responsibilty hence the reasons the salaries are generally high , i must say however from your post you dont sound that commited, perhaps ops may be a easier option for you

de Payen
9th Jan 2010, 18:20
choose the Ops route. If you dont like it then its a natural transiton to a counselling position at childline! :ooh: