PDA

View Full Version : Apache? Wot Apache?

Sloppy Link
9th Sep 2001, 22:22
I was delighted to see that an Apache featured yet again at an Air show, this time Duxford. It certainly is pleasing that our Directorship feels that it is good value for the most expensive and extensive piece of Military Ordnance to enter service with our Corps is worth showing off to the general public and some showbiz stars on occasion. I would wager that a telephone call to any AAC unit will reveal that not one of these magnificent machines that only the "Awewsome Foursome" (you know who you are) are allowed to fly has been seen there. It seems incredible that clearances and authorisations can be made as a "one off" on a regular basis but the shop floor who are going to have to work on/with/in the thing have not seen it apart from photographs and silouettes on just about every publication that eminates from the ivory portacabin. Jealous? Not really. Professional Curiosity? Yes, you could call it that but the real rub is the effort being put in for those that will have no further contact with the thing but those that will be using it in the hopefully near future are not getting a look in. There is an AAC outside of Middle Wallop you know. :confused:

64av8or
10th Sep 2001, 22:50
Calm down slops!
As one of the awesome foursome which became the famous five that turned back into the fab four and since I resigned the odd couple, I think you are somewhat behind the drag curve.
The big rig has been to Wattisham twice, Shawbury at least once, Netheravon and of course Chelsea!
That leaves Dishforth, but sadly as winter approaches thats right out because extreme environments are yet to be cleared by Boscombe down!
My advice is chill out, the Apache will arrive but just like Virgin railways, although good to look at, it will be late but as long as you have a few years left you will get a go at the video game.
Be cool and enjoy, I prefer threesomes!!!!

CSRO
10th Sep 2001, 23:33
Sloppy by name, sloppy by nature???

Get your facts straight.

It has visited us twice in Wattisham and we had a really frank presentation too on the wheres and whens.

Equally down here in Suffolk the local radio and tv of the Apache at Duxford was really good - at last the AAC looking good! The pilot (NW) did a real good job if you ask me.

It was also on CNN or Sky I am told and all pro us - miracle.

When the AH came to us here the guys said that you were on the list to visit - so calm down.

You could always visit wallop if you are that keen.

Also there werre alot more than 4 pilots flying on Eagle Strike so maybe you should look before you leap.

Finally, how can you complain when you get it years before us anyway!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Sloppy Link
11th Sep 2001, 00:50
Thank you gents for putting me straight, I shall retire gracefully having flown off the handle following a DTS. It would be nice to see the PR effort going a little bit more towards the end user, though. SL

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Sep 2001, 01:31
Well I was impressed on Thursday driving up the M11 South of Duxford to see 2 Apaches hiding behind some trees and then hedge hopping abeam the motorway for a good mile or so. Certainly looks like a hell of a lot of Toy to me.

Dead jealous I am.

fenestronuk
12th Sep 2001, 22:41
SL
I am with WWW and am dead jealous if you are not. I commend you for listening to the users above who said to calm down and like that you came back on to admit you may have been wrong. (by the way I think I know you, we were at wallop at the same time???)
I saw the local tv coverage here (suffolk) and it was brilliant to see the air corps coming out of it so well. I don't know the pilot but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about even if the press didnt. There were clips of the display aswell and it looked pdg. Some of the spotters (mainly reme but not all) from here went and said the crowd were doing lots of clapping and ooohing and ahhing.

Fen UK

Flying_Padre
14th Sep 2001, 00:57
Still think it's a cunning use of smoke, mirrors and life size cardboard cutouts.....

I'd be more impressed with the call 'Red 850 2 Apache, finals for the eastern fence Red 850' :eek: :eek:

Ah! one can only dream..................

ol_benkenobi
19th Sep 2001, 03:43
Even better:
"XMG, Apache 6 followed by Apache 5 your location 5 minutes for firefight!"

Helmut Visorcover
19th Sep 2001, 05:55
Ol_ben. What do you know? 12 pilot if ever I've seen one. Have you ever made the Lx 5 call? More like as a pilot! You are dreaming young man. ;)

What Cse were you on? DFHS Cse 4? Speak to Overshoot Kenobi, he'll teach you a few things I feel!!!!