PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Aera 500

Dr_Tre
2nd Dec 2009, 22:03
Folks I know this portable GPS is really new to the market but does anyone have experience of it yet? specifically are the main aviation features (moving map etc) just a 296/ 496 repackaged?
Garmin aera 500 GPS @ Flightstore Pilot Supplies (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/garmin-aera-500-gps.asp/gps/gpssystems)

Thanks in advance :ok:

BEagle
3rd Dec 2009, 06:20
If you go to Garmin | Manuals (http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=27&product=010-00836-00) you can download the user manual.

To me it looks like a very nice piece of kit. A few things which I would prefer to be different:

1. In aviation mode, the 'reference point' cannot be fixed to a user waypoint, only to a 'nearest' waypoint (VOR, NDB, aerodrome etc). Being able to keep brg and rng to a user waypoint was a very useful feature of the GNC250, for example.

2. In automotive mode, there's no on-screen compass needle.

3. Quite surprisingly, given the price, the aera500 doesn't include FM-based TMC traffic receiver support - you have to pay another £400 for the aera550 to get that included.

With the way Garmin upgrade their systems every other month, or so it seems, I wouldn't be surprised to see an aera600-series before too long.

Dr_Tre
3rd Dec 2009, 16:20
Thanks for the link BEagle - i'll check it out. I don't have any experience of previous Garmin products however, really I was just asking the question to help Santa decide between an Aera 500 and an AV80R. I don't want him spending his hard earned on a Garmin if the software behind it is more 'turn of the century' than its competitor!

Slopey
4th Dec 2009, 01:11
No experience of the Garmin Aera unit (which I appreciate is unhelpful) but recently bought an AV80R and it is the dogs dangalies as far as I'm concerned.

For ease of use, data entry, situation awareness it was streets ahead of a Garmin 296 we had with us, and a 250XL mounted on the panel.

Dunno if its the same navigation database in the Aera/296, but the AV80R had more towns and VRPs than the 296 database - may be worth checking. And annual airspace/road map updates are very cheap, off the top of my head it's £36 for a year cycle. Battery life is about 2 hours, I think the garmin boasts 5? But I've got mine plugged into ship's power anyway.

Another thing I like about the AV is that it has a physical wheel based volume control for the road GPS, and the GPS direction callouts are prefixed by a nice "cabin crew" boink.

One think I would have liked on the AV80R is the Garmin style overlaid compass "rose" semi-circle, to get a quick reference on a heading, but it's not really that necessary when you're using the GPS as a backup to the steam gauges anyway.

But the best advice is to get to an aviation shop - stick em both in demo mode and see which you like best.

Also note that as mentioned in another thread, the "Nats" Aware device is going to be out in the new year for much cheapness - CAA moving maps for £149, and some flight planning goodness for £249. It's basically a cut-down Airbox Clarity (which makes you wonder if anyone's going to by a clarity ever again), but for £149 for a moving map, you can't argue.

But the Garmin looks good. When I bought the AV80R it was that or a Clarity, but I find the CAA charts cluttered and prefer the AV80R's display. Had the Garmin been on the scene I may well have gone for that.

If you have any questions about the AV80R feel free to drop me a line. I carry it with me everywhere at the moment so can easily pop it on if you want to know something specific.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
4th Dec 2009, 18:18
Slopey, quick question for you, can the AV8OR be powered via a power gorrila/monkey portable source, rather than ships power? Or is it only that or the internal battery?

Cheers

WBV

flybymike
5th Dec 2009, 00:21
Any portable GPS with a lead to an external power source may be powered from any external power source (typically within the 10v to 28v DC range) as well as the aircraft power. Eg power guerilla /monkey, sealed lead acid battery, L/ion battery etc . I personally use a 12v 7ah SLA which is completely portable, lasts many hours longer than other options, is reasonably compact (if weighty) and is as cheap as chips to buy and without the (alleged) fire risk associated with L/ion types

sternone
5th Dec 2009, 04:33
The AV8ER is running on Windows CE, and is having stability problems. They choose Windows CE because it speeded up development. I would avoid the AV8ER.

Slopey
5th Dec 2009, 14:43
Yes - you can power it from an external source - a "power monkey" or ships power, rather than the battery if you want - there's a DC input jack socket on the right hand side of the unit. It's supplied with both a mains adapter and a 12v "cigarette lighter" adapter in the box.

Sternone - Do you actually own one? it's the AV80R not AV8ER, and I've had no problems with my unit - works flawlessly.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
5th Dec 2009, 16:58
Cheers for the replies, wasn't sure about the av8or as the chap showing me the area 500 the other week implied you couldn't power the 500 from anything other than the included cable, adaptor wise, or the battery itself. Thanks for the info!

WBV

Slopey
5th Dec 2009, 17:18
It's a standard DC input so you can power it off anything pretty much. The connector is standard so no proprietary connectors or cables.

That was another reason for me to go with the AV80R as I like having everything USB. The AV also charges from the USB port so you can charge it up while you have it plugged into a computer/laptop without needing an external adaptor/charger.

I think the Aera is USB also, but it does have a proprietary connector on the back of the unit - be worth asking if you need that for charging/downloading/connecting to a computer or if it has a mini-USB port onboard you can use. Garmin seem to love proprietary connectors, so it'd be worth checking what the connection/charging options are.

Dr_Tre
6th Dec 2009, 15:34
Thanks folks for all the replies :ok:

£36 per year does seem rather good value for all the database updates - Does anyone know haw much Garmin charge for their updates?

AV80R is looking pretty good I must say - shame transair/ flightstore etc. aren't on Quidco!

Off to search for the thread about the £149 moving map GPS............

cheers

Fitter2
6th Dec 2009, 17:14
£36 per year does seem rather good value for all the database updates - Does anyone know haw much Garmin charge for their updates?
$49 on line on their website (click 'aviation databases' at the bottom right.)

The Garmin database is Jeppesen, updated monthly, update as often as you feel necessary for a VFR piece of kit.

You get one free update code with any Garmin aviation unit - it's supposed to take care of the fact that the unit has probably been in the box for over 28 days when you buy it so you get a totally up-to-date unit, but you can keep the issue database for a year and then update.

The Bendix AV8OR is on the same system - you only get one update for your £36, not a year's worth.

Dr_Tre
6th Dec 2009, 18:02
Thanks Fitter2 - that evens things out a bit!

Slopey - does the AV display airways?

oldgooseberry
6th Dec 2009, 19:43
Just wondering if anyone thinks it'll be worthwhile waiting until after christmas to buy one. Are garmin known to have a price drop in the new year?

Also, has anyone compared the 500 to the 550, is the enhanced detail or the faster 9 sec are worth the extra £500?

IO540
6th Dec 2009, 21:01
There is a review of the Aera in the Dec issue of the US AOPA magazine. They like it.

One has to say however that that mag, and the US Flying mag, rarely write anything critical on anything.

The user interface is said to be significantly changed (improved) on the Garmin x96 units, which I think are really poorly designed (I have a 496).

Slopey
6th Dec 2009, 21:41
No airways on the AV80R, but it is really a VFR unit. When it boots there is reference made to a custom database, so it may well be possible to add them. The AV80R Ace appears to have IFR airways.

As regards map updates, I got the first database update free, and I was $35 for an additonal 6th month sub.

Software updates are free afaik, and the last one added runway centerlines and some other goodies.

Brooklands
7th Dec 2009, 13:33
Just wondering if anyone thinks it'll be worthwhile waiting until after christmas to buy one. Are garmin known to have a price drop in the new year?

Don't know about any price drops by Garmin, but I do know that VAT will be going back up to 17.5% in the New Year, so I'm going to be getting a GPS BEFORE then.

Brooklands

oldgooseberry
7th Jan 2010, 13:03
I chose the aera because of the comprehensive obstacles and airspace(including airways), it's touchscreen and because it's durable. Sure there are pocket pc's which have more features at a fraction of the price but what happens if you get caught out in the rain? The aera like its sibling is waterproof, everything is sealed and the garmin build quality is flawless. I ruled out the Av80r as it didn't have airways and is strictly a vfr unit, otherwise it would prob have been a better choice.

The touchscreen really makes this intuitive to use, it only takes a couple of minutes before you feel at home with it. I was creating flight plans and had the unit configured exactly to my preferences by my first flight! It's definitely a step up from the bulky and awkward to use 496.

The battery life is poor at only 5 hours when compared to the 96c with 40hour battery life and uses double A's. I've flown many aircraft where the engineer has made the cigarette lighter u/s because it plays havoc with the electric supply.

The bluetooth is for auto mode only. This means that you can't connect it wirelessly to a zulu headset for terrain warnings or music. It works well as a handsfree kit in your car. The auto mode is identical to a nuvi to so it works well. Garmin include the full european maps with the aera, more than I need but a quick search on google shows worldwide coverage readily available and free from some sites ;)

On a final note, I have to mention that searching on the aera is a little awkward. You can search for an identifier or a city, just not at the same time. It's a small niggle but means that search results are limited to the category that you started from. I've also noticed that tap and drag over a large area causes the screen to refresh slowly, I wonder if the Av80r suffers from these problems?

Slopey
7th Jan 2010, 18:05
On a final note, I have to mention that searching on the aera is a little awkward. You can search for an identifier or a city, just not at the same time. It's a small niggle but means that search results are limited to the category that you started from. I've also noticed that tap and drag over a large area causes the screen to refresh slowly, I wonder if the Av80r suffers from these problems?

No, it doesn't - you can search for anything, and all types, NDB, VOR, VRPs and place names, airfields etc are included in the list of results. In the menus, for some selections a drop out list lets you choose which item if there are multiple item types which share the same name - this mirrors tapping on the screen where there's a VOR or other navaid on an airfield for example.

Tapping and dragging over a large area with the AV80R isn't an issue, the refresh is fast and not noticeable.

How does the Aera work with the triple As? Does it charge them if they're rechargeable, or does it have a separate internal battery? The battery life of the AV80R is much worse than the Aera with about 2 hours, so for longer trips you need a 12v supply. But it uses very cheap Nokia phone batteries - I found a few on Amazon for 2 quid each so they are handy standbys if needed.

oldgooseberry
7th Jan 2010, 19:35
The default search is "search by identifier", this restricts results to identifier only. "Search by facility name" gives navaids and sometimes those results include the airport but not always, try searching for Aberdeen or London and you'll see what I mean.

the aera doesn't use standard batteries, the garmin 96c uses two double a's.

Slopey
7th Jan 2010, 19:42
Ahh - misunderstood the battery thing - apologies.

Scopy
8th Jan 2010, 01:10
Hello friends,

This is my first message and I am very glad to hear yours comments because there is no interested people in GPS here in Spain.

I was looking for the AV8OR until I hear than Aera was in the market, then I prefer wait to see it.

Finally, I have choosen the Aera 500, and the best price I have found is 589 pounds plus shipment cost in UK, so I hope buy it the next month.

I would like to learn a lot of about this GPS, and I can help you all in something I will be very satified.

I have a lot of prices about Garmin Aera 500, Garmin 96C and AV8OR from a lot of shops of differents countries. If anyone needs some help I will be here.

I try to improve my english level day by day, but I apologize if I can explain so well.

Nice to meet you, guys!!!

flybymike
8th Jan 2010, 16:53
What a perfectly charming post. Unlike many on here.

Scopy
8th Jan 2010, 22:09
I have readen that the package doesn´t include the charger, so anyone knows how is it charge? By USB?

Thanks, flybymike.

soay
9th Jan 2010, 08:08
Mains and car USB charger adaptors are useful, if you don't carry a laptop with you. These are from Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brand-Mains-Charger-Laptop-iPhone/dp/B002CW9YX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263027701&sr=8-1), but there must be ones that fit Spanish mains outlets as well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EhXI3eNjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

mikehallam
9th Jan 2010, 11:31
The "Nats" Aware GPS with map screen device is now out & as stated above hasCAA moving maps for £149. Free updates for ever of restricted areas and a projected course line to show where you will be shortly. Plus a warning noise and pic if you are going to bust restricted airspace. Apparently it 'knows' your height so as not to over alarm you ! It can't update 'today's' NOTAMs.

You still need the compulsory paper chart, but the uncluttered screen N to top is a good size.

I'm greatly tempted to buy the basic model and plan/plot as usual on paper.
Has anyone out there seen/tried this product yet ?

mikehallam

Mickey Kaye
9th Jan 2010, 15:11
If you still tend to plan/plot on paper which isn't a bad idea in my books anyway. You may find one of the hacked car sat nav running memory map to be all you need.

You get CAA moving map technology on a 4.3" screen for about 60 quid. You can also use it in your car as it runs tom tom/IGO as well

Mike Parsons
10th Jan 2010, 15:40
I bought one yesterday, and from playing around with it in sim mode, and planning flights it is extremely easy to use, but powerful.

It does get charged up by the USB socket, I think the iPhone AC charger should work ok also.

The Garmin website for products (where you update the terrain and maps database) is fantastic, hooked it up on my Mac (PC's work too) and it downloaded the plug in and updated my maps and terrain painlessly

Mike Parsons
10th Jan 2010, 15:42
Scopy, one advantage over the AV8OR is the aural warnings (for not a lot more money)...for example the Aera has (found in the manual also)

CAUTION TERRAIN
TERRAIN AHEAD, PULL UP
SINK RATE
FIVE HUNDRED FEET (on approach to final waypoint)

Scopy
10th Jan 2010, 19:38
Yes, he he, i am so sure I'll get the Aera in short (I hope so) time. :P

Then all charger with a miniUSB connection is valid, so i have already one of my PDA. :D

cjuk28
13th Jan 2010, 19:20
Garmin Aera 500 is the dogs dangelers.
I have had it aver a week had a good play with the Aviation side on the grnd but not had chance to use it in the air
The auto side is great same as a nuvi, the bluetooth works real well with blackberry and even download the phonebook

sd allows music and audiobooks.

I would say the extra £400 or whatever it is for the 510 will not be worth it.

Any queries pm me if you want

ILblog
13th Jan 2010, 19:26
Folks I know this portable GPS is really new to the market but does anyone have experience of it yet? specifically are the main aviation features (moving map etc) just a 296/ 496 repackaged?

For helicopter pilot is Area WORSE, than previous 496. The 496 enabled to search and navigate for any small city or village, and swith to road map during the flight. This is required feature, when flying aerial work.

But Aera must be REBOOTED in order to switch. And forgot to search and navigate for villages in flight mode.

dypen
7th May 2010, 18:05
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a “Garmin aera 500" of my wife on my birthday. I am keen to get started quickly so I have some questions :)

It was not with 220 V charger for use in the house, only the USB cable and the cigarette light socket 12/24 V. Can I use the USB cable and charge the GPS from my laptop ?

Scopy
7th May 2010, 18:18
Finally, I bought the aera 500 too. It arrived last wednesday. he he.

Dypen, you can connect it to your lapto by usb to charge the battery.

When you plugit, it will be in the data transfer mode, you can remove the device from your pc in the safety mode (in spanish, quitar hardware con seguridad) and then you can use your aera while it is being charging.

At last, you can turn it off and it continues charging.

If you have any other question, say me and we can learn more about the aera.

Scopy
7th May 2010, 18:28
One thing more.

i buy the carry case that is the same of the Garmin Zumo 660, so you can search for that because it is sure that will be more cheaper than one for an aeronautical Gps.

It is the same for the battery.

Other item that i have bought is the screen protector here. 18x Schutzfolie UltraClear Garmin Aera 500 en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 18-may-10 10:20:33 H.Esp) (http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350342450134&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:ES:1123)

I will try it now, so I will comment here.

dypen
7th May 2010, 21:06
Thank you for valuable information, please come with more information! I am completely new to aviation GPS. Links to equipment, parts and information we like :)

Scopy
7th May 2010, 21:17
He he, I don't know much more. I bought the GPS in UK because it is cheaper than Spain, but the accesories are cheaper in this page. ActivaGPS.com | Tu Tienda GPS en Internet. (http://activagps.es/accesorios.asp?prod=1604&direccion=Atras&ord)=

I think I will buy the charger for the battery because is very uncomfortable to charge the GPS with the battery door remove.

By the way, a friend of mine is going to give me the private airports database, because in atlantic map it aren´t includes. So when I have it I´ll send you.

More things, you have a Jeppesen free single update by buy your aera, it is a code in a paper that you have to use in the next 90 days from your purchase date. You have to enter here ---> https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/ and the create an account and follow the steps. The code is in the box, don´t forget to use it. I will do the next month.

In this page ---> Garmin: MapSource Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209)

You can download Mapsource software that is very useful to create routes, waypoints and to load maps or see your tracklogs. It is a very insterenting tool to our GPS. You will need it to load the private airports database.

I don´t remenber anything else by the moment.

Happy landings.

XXPLOD
8th May 2010, 07:26
I purchased an Airbox Clarity around 6 months ago and I've been very pleased with it. I was at the Popham microlight trade fair last weekend and spoke with the chap on the Flymap stand. Their F5 which was a direct price competitor to the Clarity has been reduced to £388 + VAT he told me. Food for thought and certainly competitive.

dypen
9th May 2010, 12:51
I was at Clas Ohlson store yesterday and bought me a battery charger! Now I have been standing on the charger for almost one day but the battery is not charged. Showing below what I bought. Have translated the text from the website to English. Do I need to buy Garmin's charger?

"Battery eliminator.
Energy-saving AC with technology that allows the eliminator is turned completely off and not drawing power when not connected. Suitable for charging your MP3 player or other equipment that is normally charged or powered through the USB port. Eight interchangeable battery plugs included. Cable length 0.6 m. Stabilized utspenning 5V DC. Max. strain 1 A. With reversed polarity."

Clas Ohlson - Batterieliminator. batterieliminatorer (http://www.clasohlson.no/link/m3/Product,Product.aspx?artnr=36-3311)

http://www.clasohlson.no/Archive/Images/Products/Hi/182114_X_2009-02-10_115836_927.jpg

dypen
9th May 2010, 19:17
Now it works! :)

Scopy
9th May 2010, 19:19
I don´t know what happens with your charger. You have to plug it in your miniusb conector behind of your aera. There is other miniusb connector in the car mount but in the manual says that it is not for charge, so you have to plug it directly to the aera.

I try it with a charger for my parrot handsfree, and the aera thought that was connected to a computer, so I didn´t try again.

I think I will wait to know the aircraft I will fly this summer, because in the actually aircraft I have an GPSMAP 296, son I don´t need the aera. And in the other aircrafts there is cigarrettes plugs in two of them, so I could charge my area in those.

If not, I think I will buy the original aera charger and the less price is 45 euros here, because the cost of the aera is too expensive to continue testing with cheaper charger and in this way I have another battery.

Cargador de baterías + batería de repuesto para Zumo 660, nuvi 5xx y Aera | ActivaGPS (http://activagps.es/_Cargador-de-baterias-+-bateria-de-repuesto-para-Zumo-660,-nuvi-5xx-y-Aera_1447.htm)

If somebody find it more cheap, please notify me.

i apologize by my english but I hope you are able to understand me.

Scopy
9th May 2010, 19:23
Ha ha ha, I am a bit slow. I think a lot when I write in english. :{:{

dypen
12th May 2010, 10:46
Same to me :) I have now gone a bit on the way, have read through the thread here and see there are many of the same questions that go again. I've spent time on the manual and the actual GPS device. Garmin aera 500

Garmin MapSource, I spent some time without fully understanding the use yet. The guide or manual was thin, which says more about me as a user :) Anyone have any tips advice or links to similar guides for Garmin MapSource?

Scopy
12th May 2010, 17:11
I only have this one, but looking a little I could find this other one that is in spanish but is a little longer than the original. If you search a little by google you could find it.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSource_MapSourceUsersGuide.pdf

http://www.gpsenchile.cl/archivos/map_source_sp.pdf

You have this too.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ms1.pdf

I have already the private airports, buts they are only for Spain and Portugal, so If you want it, say me and I´ll send you.

Happy landings.

dypen
13th May 2010, 15:44
Thank you! :) I ordered some equipment for my "Garmin aera 500" like case bag, screen protector, micro SD card and tiltable power splitter from dealextreme.com as I have good experience with before, always free shipping worldwide! Expect plenty of time for free shipping, unless you pay for fast shipping!

DealExtreme: $5.35 2-Socket Tiltable Car Cigarette Power Splitter (DC 12V) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19482)
DealExtreme: $4.12 Protective Hard Case for 4.3" GPS (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29677)
DealExtreme: $8.32 Sandisk MicroSD Transflash TF Card 2GB (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2934)
DealExtreme: $1.29 Rinco 4.3" LCD Screen Protector for Digital Cameras/Camcorders (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19941)

Observed that "Garmin aera 500" is compatible with other equipment! Zaon Flight Systems has announced the integration of the PCAS XRX with the new Garmin Aera Series. Expensive!

Zaon Flight Systems - Home (http://www.zaon.aero/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/)

Scopy
13th May 2010, 17:04
Yes!!! It´s a very good GPS. :P

dypen
16th May 2010, 20:05
When I turn on my GPS the "GARMIN" logo comes on screen first, then the new screen comes up with the following text:

Atlantic Aviation Data 0912 Expired 17-DEC-2009
European Obstacles 09B6 Expired 17-DEC-2009
Atlantic-30 Terrain 08T2

Here I have to accept before I go further into the menu! Why is two of the programs out of date, or what this means ?

flybymike
16th May 2010, 22:12
If I remember rightly you get one free update of data and obstacles with a code which comes with the unit when you buy it new. The update is downloadable from the Garmin website free for the first time, and chargeable thereafter.
I think the terrain data is permanent although would probably be reviewed from time to time to allow for Icelandic volcanoes and the like;).
For what it is worth when I first bought my unit with the old software installed (presumably the data goes out of date because the units are inevitably stored for some time between manufacture and purchase) the unit kept crashing and switching itself off. Others have made the same complaint. However, it has not done so since I downloaded the latest version 2.5 software.

rans6andrew
21st May 2010, 10:51
I have (well had!) the AV8OR since last August. It does exactly what I expect it to do for both flying and driving when it is working, The unit is back for replacement for the second time now. Latest update from Pooleys is that they are expecting a new unit for me to be with them today.

The issue seems to be something to do with the battery and how it registers with the software/battery meter but it may be voltage tolerance of the datacard. If you let the battery run down to 3 bars out of 4 on the displayed battery meter and then try to run the unit from its internal battery the databases fail to initialize and you aint goin flyin. This problem seems to develop when the unit is about 3 months old. It isn't always convenient to plug it in when using it and if you want to sit in the clubroom and re-plan your next leg over a coffee it is a real pain when it just won't boot up.

I can't believe that I am the only one to see this issue. Anyone else?

The only other frustration I had was when we tried to find out how far it is to Le Mans. Le Mans is not recognized in the airfield search although that is what it is called on the chart and in the France VFR guide. it seems that it is in the database as Arnage, really intuitive. For places in the UK the alternate names seem to be supported.

Fingers crossed,

Rans6Andrew.

Scopy
24th May 2010, 22:06
Hello again,

I think I have found a bug in our Aera 500.

When I am in the map, I click on the map to select information about any item. Then I click in an airport or VOR, etc.., in the left bottom corner appears the name of the item, so I click on it to see the information, in the next page, I click on menu botton and after in show map (only if you selected in the map page an item with this option, like a airport or VOR, an airspace is not valid). Ok, If I want to exit now, I have to push back two times, and in the second time that I made it the Aera turn off automaticaly.

Please, Can anyone try it to know if it is a bug of Garmin or a problem of my unit?

I hope Garmin could fix this bug...

Thank's all.

flybymike
24th May 2010, 22:33
Sounds similar to the problem I had (described above) above. Have you downloaded the latest version 2.5 software? It seemed to cure my problem . The download was free as a first download from the Garmin website.

Scopy
25th May 2010, 11:32
I know that there is a free database download, but I don´t remenber read anything about a free software download in the manual. I look for information this afternoon.

weltweites
26th May 2010, 06:50
Hello,

i got also my 500 ;-) and im happy ... but this time i think i have to review the manual in surtain cases :\

Ive got a question and i couldnt get an answer ... how big can the MicroSd card be ? Is it 2Gb or 4 Gb or 8Gb ?

Somebody info on this ?

Thanx in advance 4 an answer

c.u. in the sky :ok:

Scopy
26th May 2010, 12:24
Sounds similar to the problem I had (described above) above. Have you downloaded the latest version 2.5 software? It seemed to cure my problem . The download was free as a first download from the Garmin website.

I have seen my Aera version and it is 2.3, so I will update to the lastest version using the wepupdater software from Garmin. But I think that these upgrades are free because these fixed problems with the software. I will say you when I update my Aera.

About the free aviation database update, you only have one of them free, and how was said in this forum you have to make it in the next 90 days after purchase. So you can confused with this. I will wait one month more to update.

Hello,

i got also my 500 ;-) and im happy ... but this time i think i have to review the manual in surtain cases http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

Ive got a question and i couldnt get an answer ... how big can the MicroSd card be ? Is it 2Gb or 4 Gb or 8Gb ?

Somebody info on this ?

Thanx in advance 4 an answer

c.u. in the sky http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

In the page 39 from automotive manual appears.

Data storage: Internal memory and optional removable memory card. Data stored indefinitely.

So you need to try each. (How can I said, you need to try between one memory and another memory?) Thanks by my english lesson... :D and What's the meaning of c.u. in the sky? Care you in the sky?

weltweites
26th May 2010, 15:42
Hi Scopy,

i know the manual .. but it doesnt say the size .. and since i want to buy a MicroSd card i dont want to buy the wrong one.
In the past i had a 296 and that was easy .. but now a days the ize is important since the 8Gb not work everywhere ... but i think i will buy the 4Gb and post my experience here.

smile what do YOU mean with "care you in the sky " ? Are you using a translator ?
Well i love the sky ... so who knows ... c.u. up in the sky :ok::ok:

Saab Dastard
26th May 2010, 18:07
I feel I may need to introduce a "text speak" ban in PF, like that in a few other forums. :hmm:

Folks, using proper English really does make communication easier, especially where English is not the native language of contributors.

SD

Scopy
27th May 2010, 12:09
Hi Scopy,

i know the manual .. but it doesnt say the size .. and since i want to buy a MicroSd card i dont want to buy the wrong one.
In the past i had a 296 and that was easy .. but now a days the ize is important since the 8Gb not work everywhere ... but i think i will buy the 4Gb and post my experience here.

smile what do YOU mean with "care you in the sky " ? Are you using a translator ?
Well i love the sky ... so who knows ... c.u. up in the sky http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I have tried one 4Gb MicroSD Class 6 card in my Aera and it's work fine and very fast. So I think that with 4 Gb is enough, but the most impotant thing to see (I think so) is the speed, and the Class 6 go fine.

I am from Spain, and I have never taken lesson (except aeronautical communications) about english so I don´t speak english very well,( but I try to improve my level day by day). I rarely uses translator, I prefer the dictionary to see the differents meanings.

The first time you wrote that phrase you didn't write the up, so I have no idea... :P

I feel I may need to introduce a "text speak" ban in PF, like that in a few other forums. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Folks, using proper English really does make communication easier, especially where English is not the native language of contributors.

SD

You don´t need to make that for me, I prefer you all speak your daily english because is a better way to improve my english, and I like to take some time in understand certain words. :)

flybymike
27th May 2010, 23:33
Sadly Scopy, a lot of the daily English in use over here, is incomprehensible, even to the English.

IO540
28th May 2010, 10:40
I feel I may need to introduce a "text speak" ban in PFAgreed 100% :ok:

Also, please ban the grocer's apostrophe (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/jul/08/books.booksnews)

Scoby - your English is better than average for the UK :)

Scopy
28th May 2010, 14:25
weltweites, Did you try the memory cards?

flybymike, yes it is the same in Spain, and a very big problem for the young people...

IO540, a very good article about the grammatical situation, I could try to avoid the mistakes that it has talked. And thank you about my english level.

vk6ad
11th Jun 2010, 03:01
Hi all

I just bought a new Garmin Aera 500 and it is certainly a vast improvements on the old hand-helds I have used.

My only complaint so far is that towns and features do not seem to be searchable. In fact to include an existing small town as a waypoint you actually have to create a new user waypoint at the town then put it in to the flight plan. Even when the town is already in the unit! That seems a waste and duplication of effort and is a very cumbersome way to add a waypoint into a flight plan.

I think my next step is going to be to transfer all my aviation waypoints from my PC to a micro SD card using the Garmin POI Loader software. I hope they will be searchable.

Any ideas on a better solution?

Cheers
Phil Maley
Piper Tripacer VH-OLD

Pilot DAR
12th Jun 2010, 11:55
I just borrowed one on trial yesterday, and flew home with it. I have the same observation as vk6ad about the small towns, though once I get some waypoints loaded, I don't see it being a show stopper. I was also amused, but now understand the frantic "terrain!" and "pull up" warnings as I landed it into my home runway for the first time. We'll see if loading my runway as a waypoint solves that.

Other than that, I was very impresed, and I'm sure I have a lot to learn about it. I think it's a keeper...

flybymike
12th Jun 2010, 22:28
I was also amused, but now understand the frantic "terrain!" and "pull up" warnings as I landed it into my home runway for the first time. We'll see if loading my runway as a waypoint solves that.

It didn't solve it for me. (certainly puts the Sh1ts up the passengers) so now I just use the rapid sound switch off when on final approach. (Press the off button once quickly then "sound mute" icon, then "back"

24Carrot
13th Jun 2010, 07:35
My only complaint so far is that towns and features do not seem to be searchable. In fact to include an existing small town as a waypoint you actually have to create a new user waypoint at the town then put it in to the flight plan.I used to gripe about this too. Then I realised that in Map Mode you can zoom in and spot the points that it does have, read and write down the code, and then use that code in the quite separate FPL mode. Towns often have helipads, etc. Kludgy, but usable.

I am impressed at what it has, eg LMS (as in egLM Sierra) for White Waltham Point Sierra, which isn't even on the CAA charts.

One caveat: my database is bang up to date. A friend's 6 month old database doesn't have all the codes I have.

simon54
7th Jul 2010, 21:28
Hi

Has anyone else had problems with their Aera turning itself off? I can be flying along and with out warning the screen goes black. I press the power button and it reboots then the blacks out again. If I leave it for a while it will start when I press the power button.

My unit runs off the aircrafts power supply so the battery is fully charges as a backup. So Its not out of power.

Thanks

flybymike
7th Jul 2010, 23:26
I posted earlier on this problem, and others have mentioned it too.
After I downloaded the latest software update (version 2.5, although even that may now be out of date) I have had no further problems.

simon54
8th Jul 2010, 09:03
I was running version 2.5

flybymike
8th Jul 2010, 11:37
Hmm, doesnt sound too promising in that case. although there may by now be a later update.

In any event the situation is completely unsatisfactory. I did actually email my retailer on this specific issue but got no response. I have not pressed the matter since I have not had a recurrence, but Garmin really ought to sort this issue out once and for all.

Brooklands
8th Jul 2010, 12:38
Has anyone else had problems with their Aera turning itself off? I can be flying along and with out warning the screen goes black. I press the power button and it reboots then the blacks out again. If I leave it for a while it will start when I press the power button.

I had that problem as well. Like Flybymike, I upgraded to 2.5, and also put a piece of thin card behind the battery to pack it in a bit tighter (although this won't make any difference in your case). I haven't had any problems since then.

Brooklands

flybymike
8th Jul 2010, 16:49
That may be a good idea about the piece of thin card, since my battery seems a fairly loose fit too. It may well be that the unit might switch off with poor battery connection even if connected to an outside power supply, since the outside power supply may well route through the battery for charging purposes enroute to the unit itself (pure speculation on my part though)

swaziboy
16th Jul 2010, 23:42
Hi All,

I recently received my Aera 500 and had my first flight with it yesterday. A couple things I have noticed…

I transferred a whole lot of user waypoints (airfields & VFR rep points) from mapsource to the unit. The waypoints transferred successfully and I could see them under user waypoints, however, they did not appear on the map. If I added a wpt into a flight plan then it would show on the map. I then discovered that if I entered a waypoint manually into the unit it then showed on the map. Spent many hours re-entering all my waypoints and they all now appear on the map.

Does anyone know if there is any way to enter additional info on a waypoint that is entered? Ie, if you enter an airfield, using the airfield symbol, there is no way to enter runway directions or frequencies, only elevation. I have resorted to adding it into the name. Secondly, is there anyway to transfer the GPS database (maps, airfields etc) onto mapsource??

Now to the actual flight. I had read on this thread about the unit switching itself off, but never did I think it would be that bad. I flew 2.4 hrs and at least half of it was spent switching the thing on. Goes off, gets to the main page and as you press anything, whether it’s the map or the HIS it goes off again and takes at least 3 or 4 attempts to get it on again. Tried everything, put some card under the battery – same thing. Disconnected the external power and ran just the battery – same thing. Thought it may be vibration from the yoke so disconnected it and had it on my lap – same thing. Has Garmin said anything about this??

The strange thing is that I spent many hours with it on the ground entering wpts etc and it never switched off. It only does it when airborne!! Maybe it has a fear of flying??

Have updated now to 2.6 so will see what happens next flight.

Aside from the power issue, it seems like a good piece of kit.

flybymike
17th Jul 2010, 00:43
Mine only ever switched itself off when flight planning on the ground!

swaziboy
17th Jul 2010, 22:42
On one of the updates (2.2 to 2.3) the Garmin site says "Corrected shutdown problem near user waypoints with aviation symbols." Looking at the tracks of my last flight, its true, it shut down whenever approaching a wpt I had entered. My unit was already on 2.3 so hope the update to 2.6 has solved this once and for all...

Brooklands
19th Jul 2010, 13:05
On one of the updates (2.2 to 2.3) the Garmin site says "Corrected shutdown problem near user waypoints with aviation symbols." Looking at the tracks of my last flight, its true, it shut down whenever approaching a wpt I had entered. My unit was already on 2.3 so hope the update to 2.6 has solved this once and for all...

Interesting. Thinking back, when I had problems in flight with my Aera, it was when approaching an waypoint that I'd created. Once I got a few miles aeay it behaved itself. Once I upgraded to 2.5 the problem stopped happening altogether.

Incidentally I didn't put the card under the battery, but behind it on the edge opposite the contacts so as to push it against them. There's a limit to what you can do here as due to the way the battery compartment is designed.

Brooklands

swaziboy
23rd Jul 2010, 22:52
Happy to report that after upgrading to 2.6, no more power issues... worked like a charm :ok:... only thing I noticed was that on 1 sector ETA in the cruise was out by 30 mins (later), as soon as I started descent it came right... not sure why... changed the speed on the aircraft profile but this didnt affect the ETA... didnt do it on the other sectors.

weltweites
23rd Aug 2010, 09:11
Ok i bought a 4Gb memeorycard .. and it works ;-)

I have found some very disturbing issues .... please add your own comment .. this would increase the infos about it.

- battery time is very short
- jeppview does not communicate with the aera

Im looking for a nice/small feature how to charge the Aera during flight, without the 12V board-supply.
Does anyone have an idea for this .. maybe a solarpower solution or a small light weight battery pack ... even if its homebuild ?!

c.u.

ps. its still way better as my previous 296 ;-)

Justiciar
23rd Aug 2010, 11:38
Im looking for a nice/small feature how to charge the Aera during flight

Power Gorilla is supposed to be good - I have not used it my self. This is a general problem with these small units. The 496 has a much longer published battery life but then you pay for it with increased bulk. Having said that, by the time you've added an auxillary power supply to the unit ....... Trailing wires is tolerable in a cabin with a power socket; in an older aircraft or an open cockpit it is more of a probem as you are likely to have to rely on the battery.

I get the impression that the new touch screen units - whether they be Aera, Bendix King or Airbox - struggle to give you more than about 90 minutes of power. Does anyone know of a unit which bucks the trend?

Scopy
27th Aug 2010, 13:58
Hello again.

I have some questions.

I am boring to remove the battery cap each time i have to charge the unit or I have to conect it to pc. I think that it is a very big error of garmin, because do this a lot of times you can damage the battery cap.

So I try to charge the unit with the automotive mount using this adapter...
DealExtreme: $3.34 AC to DC 12V 450mA Car Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter (90V~240V AC) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15646)

In this way, i wouldn't have to remove the battery cap. When I connected the cigarette plug to the adapter, it has burned, so the cigarette plug adaptor need more than 600 mA of input. I am thinking how to do this. And other thing is to use the microusb in the automotive mount to connect to pc but it doesn´t work, so i don't know for what is the use. In the manual only says that you can't connect the charger to that microusb, but nothing else.

I am very grateful with this GPS, but I think that it is very stupid to have to remove a cap to charge or connect to pc. It's a ****.

Regards

paulincapetown
29th Aug 2010, 07:24
I agree with Scopy - bit of a stupid thing to have done regards having to connect and remove battery lid everytime you want to charge (not from cigy lighter):bored:

Saying that my new Aera is great and I forgive above. Does anyone know where I can get some tutorials on using this device - have checked out Garmin but they dont have any. User manual is not really that great IMHO and I am looking for more of a step by step approach to using the Aera

This is my first time with an aviation GPS and finding it a little challenging although recognise that it is somewhat intuitive.
Any help would be appreciated - Have written to Garmin so will post response when I hear from them.:)

Scopy
31st Aug 2010, 16:48
It seems I have heard.

Today I was going to send them a message telling abou thet bad way to charge the GPS. And before I get in touch with them, I get to take a last look at the accessories. And I found this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=68333
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=68332
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13545

I only hope that the last charger is for connection to the car mount because I think that it is the same connector.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scopy
1st Sep 2010, 17:27
Hi again, :)

Finally, I have bought this AC charger

Garmin AC Adapter Cable f/ nuvi 5000 Series en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 01-sep-10 08:38:09 H.Esp) (http://cgi.ebay.es/Garmin-AC-Adapter-Cable-f-nuvi-5000-Series-/300451963784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0)

I hope that it will go fine. I will comment about it when I have tried it.

See you soon.

P.D.: Does anyone know what is the microusb in the car mount for?

Scopy
3rd Sep 2010, 20:49
A little late, dear friend.

Any way that page is a little expensive. I bought my GPS in an offer by 590 L with a leather jacket here:

Garmin aera 500 GPS (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=8660)

and the AC charger here:

Garmin AC Adapter Cable f/ nuvi 5000 Series en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 01-sep-10 18:59:05 H.Esp) (http://cgi.ebay.es/Garmin-AC-Adapter-Cable-f-nuvi-5000-Series-/110572732558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0)

See you soon.

dypen
14th Sep 2010, 20:26
DealExtreme: $3.34 AC to DC 12V 450mA Car Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter (90V~240V AC) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15646)

This I liked well, can be used to all that there is a car charger :ok:

Scopy
15th Sep 2010, 12:49
Dypen, NO NO NO, wait.

You have to read a little more up, I said I bought that adapter but it was burned when I tried to charge the Garmin Aera, so THAT ADAPTER IS NOT VALID FOR OUR GPS. In fact, the adapter I received had 600 mA, that they didn't was enough to our GPS.

I'll pick up the Garmin AC adapter cable tomorrow, because I have just to arrive from work and I have read a message from the courier that he tried to give me by I wasn't at home, so If you want I will tell you how it is work with our GPS.

See you soon.

dypen
15th Sep 2010, 13:19
Thanks, then I wait :)

Scopy
15th Sep 2010, 17:24
Ok

By the way, I send an email to Garmin asking about the microusb in the car mount, and they aswered me that plug is for an uncertain future to connect the FMS traffic antenna. I think it only works in USA, so it would be very fine that you can connect your pc by that plug :D.

Regards.

Scopy
16th Sep 2010, 16:00
Ok, I have just tried the AC adaptor with the Aera, and it works well. Now I can charge the aera without remove the battery cap. I only have to do that to connect it to the PC.

I hope help you, guys.

flybymike
16th Sep 2010, 22:39
If nothing else Scopy and dypen, your English is coming along splendidly.;)

Scopy
17th Sep 2010, 13:37
Ha ha, thank you again. I would like to live some time in UK, to improve my speaking english, because I can study grammar but I can't talk to myself. :P

I wish Airlines thought like you. At least, I can practise my english when I am flying.

A hug.

flybymike
19th Sep 2010, 18:02
Steady on Scopy. We are British you know....

dypen
8th Oct 2010, 21:44
Hi flybymike. I feel it has gone well with me in life. My school english is not so good along with a not fully optimal google translator. It runs smoothly. :)

But when we come to the extension of radio language evidence before 4 March 2011, so I expect not here with top rated "Level 6" which lasts a lifetime :ok:

johncunha
27th Oct 2010, 09:22
Hi,

Firstly, I would would like to say that I have been reading this forum for some time and it has been a great source of information.:)

I'm currently still doing PPL(A) training in Poland (I'm Portuguese ... it's a long story... :) ).
I use my Aera for recording my track which I review after the flight. (I'm purposely avoiding using it before the exams for obvious reasons). :)

I have been noticing some issues with my Aera 500 (with the latest software version):
- I had the power-off problem once while preparing a flightplan on the ground).
- The touch-screen seems to need re-calibrating regularly (I notice this when using the keyboard : e.g. I press a letter and the key next to it is selected).
- I have been having problems configuring the 'Units' to be used by the unit. For example, I cannot select 'Celsius' as the unit of temperature for the GPS. When I try to change the unit in the appropriate units setup page I simply changes another of the units on the page. I've written a mail to Garmin about this but still haven't had a reply.

Has anyone had the same problem (as the last one I described)?

GoodGrief
1st May 2012, 13:54
Hey guys,

I recently got an aera 500 running Software version 3.50.
In the 296/495 you could browse through your user wpt list by entering the first letter, say "F" and the list would give you all points starting with an F.

The aera is a total failure here. How do you get down to your waypoints quickly?

Genghis the Engineer
3rd May 2012, 09:43
I put in the whole waypoint name. If it's a VOR, airfield, etc. it's quick enough.

G

awqward
14th May 2012, 08:00
I have had an Aera 500 for a year and a half...I love it...have used it in the US and Australia as well as here in Scotland....however I have discovered a SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THE AVIATION DATABASE....Where I operate the only Class A airpsace is associated with Airway P600...the Aera does not depict it...I can see that it does depict the Class A around London but not around airways...Jeppesen obviously can depict the airspace...as it does so on the GNS430 so it must be a Garmin issue....I have written to Garmin Europe and asked them to explain....This must be a MAJOR concern to anyone using the unit in the South of England...

dnsnlsn
14th Jul 2012, 16:06
Another happy 500 user here!

dypen
14th Jul 2012, 22:30
Me to ... :)

huv
23rd Oct 2012, 15:47
I am considering the Aera 500 as a replacement for my old and somewhat scratched 96C. I have used the 96C fairly extensively for downloading flight tracks for different purposes, e.g. to analyze climb and descend/glide performance.

Track download from the 96C is via mini-USB. But in this thread I read somewhere that the mini-USB-plug on the Aera 500 has no functionality yet.

So is it possible to download track to a PC from Aera 500?

dypen
23rd Oct 2012, 18:31
Garmin Aera 500 is a good choice of GPS which I'm very happy with. You can upload and download fly-routes to and from your PC, the program I use is Garmin MapSource. I have also used the demo version of SkyDemon to upload my route to my GPS. Good luck with a good selection of GPS that has a very nice size in cockpit .. :ok:

huv
26th Oct 2012, 07:52
Takk, dypen. I have limited experience with the Aera 500 as it is panel-mounted in one of our school's PA-28's, and it seems straightforward to use. I have noticed that it takes more pressure on the screen than on a smartphone, but that is probably a good thing given frequent turbulence.

Dypen, I take your answer to mean that it is generally easy to connect the GPS to a PC; I just don't understand what kind of cable to use or whether it is via Bluetooth.

peterh337
26th Oct 2012, 07:54
Normally the cable is bluetooth, with modern GPSs.

Before that it was RS232.

Prop swinger
26th Oct 2012, 13:10
Dypen, I take your answer to mean that it is generally easy to connect the GPS to a PC; I just don't understand what kind of cable to use or whether it is via Bluetooth. Have you tried reading the manual?

It took me all of 60 seconds to find out that the Aera 500 comes with a USB cable & that you can use MapSource to transfer routes, tracks & waypoints.

PA28181
26th Oct 2012, 13:47
I am a fairly new user of an Aera500, (Replaces my first one a GPS 90, then the Pilot III) and have found it to be a great piece of kit for my flying needs.

BUT, Garmin, please why do I have to constantly take the WATERPROOF battery cover off to attach the USB which probably is less & less waterproof every time I upload/download routes to my PC, when there is a redundant ( I know about the future use blurb) usb socket on the mount??????

I use Skydemonlightfor uploading routes and think it is a suberb freeby for VFR UK flying.

Citationcj2
17th Apr 2014, 09:16
Just found this thread and I didn't want to start a new thread over the same issue.

I also have the Aera 500 and I'm very disappointing with lack of search functions when searching for towns or way points when flying.

The only way I can find tows or nearby citys is by doing a full address search as if I'm going to someones house. Just not pratical when flying..

Anyone have any solutions or ideas how to resolve this? I wrote to Garmin about this, but they don't seem to care:(

tmmorris
17th Apr 2014, 13:56
Let me know if you find a solution. Irritates the hell out of me, too.

I moved to the Aera 500 from a Lowrance Airmap 500 which, apart from colour, was superior in every way. Sadly Lowrance stopped providing database updates and then I had screen problems, or I'd still be using it.

What I do is use Google maps to pick a suitable place (1 High Street often works) in any town I want to use as a waypoint.

Also, a small word of caution: using Skydemon Light to plan routes then uploading to the Garmin results in the Garmin failing to recognise that,e.g., an airfield is an airfield - you get a waypoint in the same place but without the 'special' features like runway extensions, radio frequencies &c. I usually manually plan the route now, or plan in Skydemon Light but then edit on the Garmin.

Citationcj2
17th Apr 2014, 14:25
What I do for the time being I just scroll on the map and then save the towns as I go,and then I can find them in recent waypoints section.
Not handy at all when flying as hands are shaky:ugh:

Other then that I love it, works great, it brought me places too.
I used my friends bendix king AV08R for a while,I didnt like it. I found aera much easier to use, with more features apart the annoying town search.

I will write another email to Garmin and hopefully they can sort this out.
I'm sure if automotive Garmin has the town input function on the go without the need of an address, I cant see the reason Aera cant have the same feature.

Pilot DAR
17th May 2018, 01:36
A thread relight: I had a problem last flights; the "press to accept" at start up would not respond at all to being pressed, so no useful navigation. The touch screen still works. 'cause I could touch the power button, which changed the display to brightness and sound, and I could touch to select those. And I know it's navigating inside, as when I landed at a buddy's grass runway, it gave me a terrain warning as I approached. But, for three flights, it would not press to accept, so no navigation.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

tmmorris
17th May 2018, 20:44
Have you done a reset? (Hold corner of screen - I think it’s bottom left? - while booting up)

Pilot DAR
18th May 2018, 01:22
Well thank you tmmorris! That worked! I touched the lower left of the blank screen, and held it, powered it up, and it came to life without delay. It accepted the press to accept, and went straight into navigation. I appreciate the wisdom very much, I will now delay purchasing a replacement!

tmmorris
18th May 2018, 12:51
No problem - I found that solution online when having problems with mine (mine got stuck in a bootup loop and wouldn't get to the main screen)

The downside is it deletes all your stored data but you can always recreate the routes etc.