PDA

View Full Version : Check pilot's prank nearly crashes Jet Airways flight

shanx
2nd Dec 2009, 20:01
Check pilot's prank nearly crashes Jet flight - India - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Check-pilots-prank-nearly-crashes-Jet-flight/articleshow/5290059.cms)

MUMBAI: A Jet Airways flight coming in to land in Mumbai in October lost height faster than the prescribed rate of descent as the auto-pilot tripped, the flight director disappeared and the ground-proximity warning system went off. The flight finally landed safely — with none of its passengers hurt or even aware how close they had come to disaster, but for the experienced pilot and tons of luck.

The dangerous turn of events began — about 3,700 feet above the ground — when a check pilot, seated behind the commander and the first officer on the Jet Airways Delhi-Mumbai flight, pulled out a circuit-breaker. He did it ostensibly to check the pilot's ability to handle an emergency. Only, such checks are always done in simulators — never with a plane load of people.

The unthinking act set off a chain reaction, tripping the autopilot, making the flight director indications disappear and turning off the ground-proximity warning system. The aircraft went sinking at a rate faster than the maximum prescribed descent of 1,000 feet per minute over the hills behind Jarimari, Andheri, but — despite all this — the aircraft managed to make a safe landing.

Jet Airways has ordered a probe. But it has not derostered the check pilot though both aircraft manufacturers Boeing and Airbus have a strict policy warning flight crew against use of circuit-breakers during flight — they are not pulled even on a check or a test flight. A Jet Airways spokesperson said: ``The flight had a normal approach and landing, carried out safely within the acceptable parameters. An internal inquiry is in progress.''

But inquiries and investigations are not carried out for flights that are ``operated safely within the acceptable parameters'' and an exceeding high sink rate is not an acceptable parameter, say aviation experts. The matter is over a month old but the inquiry is still in progress and no action has been taken against the pilot concerned.

The Directorate-General of Civil Aviation too has initiated an inquiry. ``I will be able to comment only after I have the facts from the air safety department,'' director-general Nasim Zaidi said.

When the commander was interrogated, he said (and gave it in writing) that after the aircraft landed, the ACM revealed to him that he had pulled out the circuit-breaker on Radio Altimeter 1 ``just to see his reaction to failures''.

The incident took place on October 20 on flight 9W 332 around 8.50am, during the morning peak hour. The check pilot was flying as an additional crew member (ACM) in the jump seat located behind the pilots' seats. An ACM's status is that of a passenger and s/he is not supposed to touch the flight controls. ``The aircraft was established on the Instrument Landing System (ILS) for runway 27,'' an official said, implying the aircraft was coming in to land from the east and was about 3,700 feet high and had got visual guidance to help it descend and touch down on the runway 27 centre line.

``At that instant, the autopilot tripped and the flight director disappeared,'' he added. A flight director gives visual cues to the pilot who follows it by, say, turning left or right or pitching the aircraft up or down to take it to its destination.

So, with both vital navigation instruments failing, the commander took over the flight controls to bring in the plane for landing entirely manually. ``But the aircraft started sinking fast. It was going down faster than 1000 feet a minute, the maximum prescribed descent rate. It was a dangerous situation as the approach to runway 27 was over hilly terrain,'' the official said.

When an aircraft has a higher-than-normal descent rate, the enhanced ground proximity warning system (EGPWS) blares out a loud aural warning, ``sink rate whoop whoop pull up'' continuously till the descent rate is slowed down.

But no such alarm went off in this cockpit. ``A pilot can do the job of an autopilot; he can land, albeit with difficulty, without the help of a flight director. But neither can he nor any other instrument in the cockpit do the job of an EGPWS,'' said the source.

It is such a critical equipment to prevent crashes that the International Civil Aviation Organisation mandates that no passenger aircraft should fly without a functioning EGPWS. Jet Airways confirmed that the EGPWS warning was not received. This confirms a system malfunction or a deactivation of the system.

``Since the sink rate was very high, the Digital Flight Data Recorder showed up an `exceedance report', which was picked up by the airline's flight safety department after the aircraft landed,'' said the source.

``It is a very dangerous thing to do as pulling out a C/B can render unintended systems to fail, like the EGPWS failure in this case. No pilot would want to fly without an EGPWS,'' an official said. Aircraft manufacturers are so careful about C/Bs that these switches are not installed at locations easily accessible or even viewable from the pilot's seat. It is located behind the seat as Airbus and Boeing did not consider the possibility of an ACM pulling out a C/B.

VIMANMAN
2nd Dec 2009, 21:04
If this so called "Check Airman" actually pulled the CB as he is accused of.....He needs to be fired and his licenses thrown out to sea.....

(As this incident took place in India though, Ill bet a few paychecks that nothing will happen to him, except maybe a PROMOTION to 737 Fleet Manager for JET Airways or something like that)

What an :mad:

411A
3rd Dec 2009, 01:30
Hmmm, clearly, cowboys still exist in the east.
One would have thought that they would have all been flushed out by now...but apparently not.:ugh:

Wannabe Flyer
3rd Dec 2009, 07:07
Crew seems to have been grounded.

At the risk of starting a fresh argument, what were the stats of the crew and CP? Hours experience, age, nationality?

IndAir967
3rd Dec 2009, 07:55
But why ground the flying crew ?
Was the skipper aware of the situation well ahead ?
I dont think so..

If I was the P2 there and PNF..
I see my AP/FD fail and my skipper is PF..
I follow the QRH exactly as prescribed..
Wat mistake now did i do to get grounded ??
We arrive on ground safely and only to know on vacating the
Runway that the check pilot is a big M_R_N.

I think only the Check Pilot should be grounded subject to enquiry..

IndAir967
3rd Dec 2009, 07:58
and btw was it a 73X series ?

lastdon
3rd Dec 2009, 09:41
He needs to be fired and his licenses thrown out to sea.....

Better that his license be set on fire....and he be thrown out in the sea......:ok:

powerstall
3rd Dec 2009, 11:32
Is the check pilot aware that there is a certain platform that can be used for events like that.. and it's called a SIMULATOR. :ugh:

Jet_Settin
3rd Dec 2009, 13:54
the a/c was a 737-900

VIMANMAN
3rd Dec 2009, 15:03
Pilot One Liners

Q: How many pilots does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Just one. He holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Q: How do you know if a pilot is at your party?
A: He'll tell you.

Q: How do you know when you are half way through a date with a pilot?
A: Because he says: "Thats enough about flying, let's talk about me"!

Q: What's the purpose of the propeller?
A: To keep the pilot cool. If you don't think so, just stop it and watch him sweat!

Q....How Many CBs does a pilot have to pull to become a Check Airman

A....Not Sure of the Answer....but I'm sure some folks @ JET can let us know the punchline to this joke.....

alouette3
3rd Dec 2009, 17:33
Just curious. Was the Check Airman an ex military? Check rides in the military are always about failing equipment in critical stages of flight.Part of the reason is the shortage of simulators in the military,no paying passengers on board(only cannon fodder) and ,of course, the military guys are the best of the best ;).
Alt3

HAWK21M
3rd Dec 2009, 20:34
CB is not to be tripped manually in Air.On ground can be tripped only for Maintenance purposes.

The Dominican
3rd Dec 2009, 23:15
MUMBAI: A Jet Airways flight coming in to land in Mumbai in October lost height faster than the prescribed rate of descent as the auto-pilot tripped, the flight director disappeared and the ground-proximity warning system went off. The flight finally landed safely — with none of its passengers hurt or even aware how close they had come to disaster, but for the experienced pilot and tons of luck.

Although I agree that the A/C is not the venue for training and those types of scenarios should be left for a simulator session, I have to wonder as to how an autopilot disconnecting equates to coming "close to a disaster" that thing that hovers over your salad when you are eating is used on occasion to hand fly the airplane.:confused:

``A pilot can do the job of an autopilot; he can land, albeit with difficulty,

WHAT???:eek:

What are these people comedians?:*

HiAltFlyer
4th Dec 2009, 03:41
A pilot can do the job of an autopilot; he can land, albeit with difficulty, without the help of a flight director. But neither can he nor any other instrument in the cockpit do the job of an EGPWS,'' said the source.

hahaha must be Indian writer referring to India pilots

tangowithtushar
4th Dec 2009, 04:49
manju v :mad::mad: is back at work..

Indian writer referring to India pilots

and indian pilots face the music as above..

to,
the directors at various indian carriers [ especially jet:}]

will i get a right seat if i get her killed??:*

pls find my resume attached:E:E

tango

IndAir967
4th Dec 2009, 04:54
But neither can he nor any other instrument in the cockpit do the job of an EGPWS

BIGGEST BS I HAVE HEARD IN RECENT TIMES..

WHY CALL ONSELF A PILOT WHEN HE CANT EVEN DO THE FUNDAMENTAL THING OF OUR PROFESSION .. FLY AN AIRPLANE !

I sometimes feel flying the BUS in Alternate Law actually makes me miss the pleasure I get from flying those rugged pistons in those days..

Flying to me nowadays is only from Gear Down to Touchdown !

Have to be happy about it :cool:

shanx
4th Dec 2009, 05:43
I have read most of Manju V's past articles on aviation and 95% of them are BS.

So, according to her, bringing a transport jet down from a PHENOMENAL 3700 feet to the center line of runway 27 in DAYTIME VMC, was a near fatal disaster for the 100 passengers !! :D

Oops, I forgot, ... we're talking about a severely handicapped jet SANS autopilot, flight director and EGPWS.

Somebody should tell this moron news paper reporter that the best EGPWS when flying in DAY VFR conditions are a pair of EYES and some basic flying skills regardless of what a/c one is flying.

tangowithtushar
4th Dec 2009, 12:28
sensationalism works doesnt it, after all its bread and butter for manju v's of indian journalism... puny lil thread and above a thousand views..
shanx you might wanna reconsider the title for this thread

"nearly crashes jet airways a/c" makes one go:eek::eek::eek:

itsbrokenagain
4th Dec 2009, 16:23
Even with a so called expert giving a qoute, I can safely say there is no where in the world where what we read in the papers is anywhere near truthful when it comes to aviation disasters.

What does surprise me in India is how do they find out about this events? This is normally dealt with internally and we as the paying public never hear anything. But for some reason in some places of the world like India , if someone does a **** in the lav and doesn't flush its posted all over the front page. Which really does **** with the public perception of the aviation industry doesnt it.

I hope this guy whom I am told by a company pilot was a national does get hung out to dry for this prank he played on his fellow countrymen/pilots (no confirmation on this so dont yell at me, if he is a foreigner they should send him on the next boat home, as he/she is screwed up in the head)

flyboy012
10th Dec 2009, 13:32
What to talk about the CB being pulled out ,In India you find pilots who on a routine Pax flight to show authority pull switch off the IRS system ,thrown out on flying dicipline and reinstated because he knows one of the top guys.:ok:

Such people who r thrown out of all airlines require to fly their own ac and switch off what ever they want. And obviously their ac would not have any of the sysyems ops:=