PDA

View Full Version : 6th Form Scholarship (RAF) is it worth it??

Stud3
8th Sep 2001, 13:13
I'm 15 years old and have a keen interest on joing the RAF.
I'm currently in my local Air Training Corps squadron and was told by the career officer that if i was to consider joining the RAF, 6th form scholarship was a good way to go about it.
I'm predicted 9 GCSE's at grade A* to B, english lit. and lang. at B, Maths A, Science(double award) A*, geog A*, History B, Spanish A* and Media studies B (other 2 are D's but unimportant subjects)

I have been told to call into the AFCO at Newcastle, after i recieve my Mock GCSE results and i will be considered for Scholarship.

Can anyone advise me on my way to go about it, i.e courses i should do well on, Fitness levels, and will being in the ATC give me an advantage?

Any Info about what they look for at Officer Selection at Cranwell would be greatly appreciated also!

Andy Thompson

P.S My Chosen Branch is Pilot.

Tourist
8th Sep 2001, 13:23
Sod the RAF, join the Navy. But if you really want to join them, my advice would be to hide any trace of a personality at Cranwell. They'll snap you up!

positive_rate
9th Sep 2001, 00:43
Andy

I was in a very similar situation to you, not that many years ago.

Drop me an e-mail and i might be able to help you.

Mr Positive

P.S I didn't become a fish head either!

[ 08 September 2001: Message edited by: positive_rate ]

Mike Cusack
9th Sep 2001, 18:50
My son tried to get this scholarship a few years ago. He knew he didn't want to be aircrew if he joined but the medical he was subjected to found out that he had a slight (very) deficiency and he was turned down. We think it was the fact that he went to a Comprehensive school that let him down.

SARBoy Loser
9th Sep 2001, 20:39
Went to a comprehensive, then went to ropy six-form college, then to a rather nice university. Got sponsored at Uni. Please don't blaim the comprehensive system for failing to get a place. The facts is lots of people apply for the scolarships, not everyone gets one, but the largest failing for most candidates is 'lack of maturity'. So don't let your son think he isn't good enough because they didn't go to public school! If they're really keen try for direct entry, failing that go to uni and try again! If all else fails at least you end up with a degree and the ability to face up to defeat! :)

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: SARBoy Loser ]

positive_rate
10th Sep 2001, 01:12
Hear hear SARboy

On my selection board, I was the only one who went to comprehensive school and although it felt a bit daunting being up against all these people who claimed they had a better education than me, I got the tick in the box.

Now sponsored aircrew and loving every minute of it.

The RAF don't care where you go as long as you come up with the goods. If you want it badly enough then you can get it wherever you go. Even if you went to school in Reading!!

Mr Positive

peterward
10th Sep 2001, 19:32
Absolutely. Going to a comprehensive has nothing to do with your chances of selection. Out of 6 on my tac weapons course, only 2 are public school types. Andy, was in exactly the same position as you a few years ago. Yes, the sixth form scholarship is worth it. If nothing else, it gets your foot in the door and gives you a better chance of joining as a direct entrant, if that's what you want. The ATC is also useful. Not so much as you progress, but certainly when you first join with marching and the like. Also, had a great time. As for the specifics of what OASC are looking for, drop me a line and I"ll try to remember what went through my mind at the time. Oh, I think you'll prefer the RAF to sharing a tin can with sweaty Naval types...... :p

kippermate
10th Sep 2001, 22:11
I'm not sure what the score is at the moment with regard to 6th Form Scholarship, but when I got mine there was no contract to sign. All that the RAF did was guarentee you a place at Cranditz. You also got a few quid and a Flying Scholarship. I'd go down to the AFCO and ask about it. If you don't like what you hear then you don't have to accept anything. It can't do any harm.

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: kippermate ]

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: kippermate ]

Mike Cusack
10th Sep 2001, 23:14
Well he never went to Sleaford Tech, he is now being sponsored by Industry and graduates with a MEng next year. From then he has been offered a position with Porsche in their race development area. Still RAFs loss is his gain ... one door closes and another opens.

positive_rate
11th Sep 2001, 00:53
Andy sorry I haven't replied to your mail, I've been up to my a*se in work at the moment. Hope some of this info helps.

From what I can remember and it is very hazy now (!).

When you get a 6th form scholarship, it does not guarantee you a place at IOT. When you are near to finishing school (or skool in my case), you get a nice letter through the post asking whether you would like to join Direct entry or apply for Uni sponsorship.

If you choose Direct Entry then you are whisked back to Cranditz where you have to undergo the full part two procedure ( all the pine poles and shark infested custard)and if you are aircrew then you are given the part two medical ( EEG, ECG and chest x-ray etc).
Quite a few people I knew got chopped on their part two as they were far too over confident going into it and of course the selection board see them coming a mile off.
I chose the other way and applied for sponsorship as aircrew ( yes it did once used to happen!!).

When you go that way you have to repeat the whole process again right from scratch anyway including aptitudes, medical etc.

It does not give you an automatic advantage over everyone else who is applying.

However........
The sixth form scholarship really benefitted me in three ways

1)If you were aircrew you also got a flying scholarship, which was one of the best experiences of my life

2) You went on a course at the OAC Grantown on Spey, called preparation for leadership. Here it was 2 weeks of outdoor fun, meeting people I now still see on UAS's and expanding your self confidence by doing things you never thought you could do. The frozen lake swim still brings shivers down my spine!! It can help develop the potential that the RAF see in you as a 16 year old.

3) As I went to fick skool, I had a huge wadge of cash to go and blow on things I wanted and not have to put it towards school fees (sorry couldn't resist)!