PDA

View Full Version : training in California

Portal380
2nd Dec 2009, 00:28
I am looking to go to california to finsih my IR/ME CPL, is anybody have heard about Career Pilot School ? any feedback?
I also would like to check California Flight Academy, their program look nice !

BHenderson
2nd Dec 2009, 17:39
Are you wanting FAA or JAA training, I assume by your location and school choice you want FAA?

Portal380
2nd Dec 2009, 19:13
Looking for FAA but I will not be unhappy if I will have also the possibilty to do JAA, you never know....

Portal380
3rd Dec 2009, 22:10
No suggestions ????

Golf--Lima--Papa
3rd Dec 2009, 22:45
Universal Air Academy at El Monte, Los Angeles.

I'm building hours there at the moment, great set up and well run.

P.S. It's FAA.

Portal380
3rd Dec 2009, 23:38
Thank you for the tip, I have decided to go to Career Pilot School, they look serious people, I will let you know..I will be there in 15 days

BHenderson
4th Dec 2009, 16:22
Be aware that the majority of large schools cover their website with complete bu****it. It's the same with this school: 'Avation Eductor Course' - otherwise know as a CFI. Also, I challenge you to do an Instrument Rating in 10 days. Make sure you speak to current students. Perhaps see if you can pull an opinion out of the local FSDO or DPE.

agnni
4th Dec 2009, 16:58
i agree with michealcps..I have done my training there and international program give me plenty enough time , no rush but just the right timing for me. of course
i would have been totaly unable to fininsh the IR in ten days but i have seen some US guys who did it but they were already prvt pilot with more than 400 hours.for me it took me 6 weeks,but i am bit slow guy:O

drmaverrice
4th Dec 2009, 17:53
I have a friend who got through to go to Phoenix Aviation but is sincerely considering moving to California to complete his instrument and commercial. I have another friend who has attended Career Pilot School and has nothing but good things to speak of...as a result I have started my enrollment in their program and am looking forward to starting my training. I am a chemist by profession and know the importance of having all the right data presented and I have all of mine. To Mr. Portal, see you at Career Pilot School Next Month.

CLAUDE-CPS
5th Dec 2009, 22:24
A message to BHenderson ....

I have been informed by some of my students that a discussion in one of PPruNe's thread was about Career Pilot School.
As the owner of Career Pilot School, I would like to take the opportunity to answer to BHenderson :
- First, Career Pilot School is not a " large school "
- Second, the size of a school is not the main issue, the important thing is the ratio students/instructor and students/aircraft; some schools have one instructor or one aircraft for more than 10 students when other ( like Career pilot School ( sorry for the add!!! )) never exceeds 3.
- Third and last, the 10 days IR is dedicated to VFR pilot who already have a substantial experience ( generally not less than 400h ), it is my mistake that it is not clearly explain in our website...Mr BHenderson we have already 23 "alliens" whoo graduated in this course!!!

Conclusion:
-Thank you to all Career Pilot School old students,students and future students for the good words about Career Pilot School
- BHenderson, before giving advise to others, first you should know what you are talking about :=

BHenderson
7th Dec 2009, 01:08
Claude; I thought my reply was balanced, recommending that the student got opinions from current students - something which my reply seems to have prompted - in your favour. So I don't think your challenge was even necessary.

I never said nor implied that I knew anything about the school other than what I had read on your website. In fact, I was just warning the guy not to be drawn in by a website, as quite often it is not representative of the business. I accept that I should have been less colourful with my language.

It seems that you have changed your website to remove the references to the 'Aviation Educator Course' to 'Flight Instructor Course', which changes how it's perceived.

I am still of the opinion that 10 days for an instrument rating is ridiculous. Over 4 hours hood-time, per day, all in the aircraft?! "40% of people have a maximum attention span of 37 minutes... whilst driving" (Institute of Advanced Motorists, 2009), which is much simpler than flying on instruments. In my experience, the UK CAA generally imposes a limit on PPL training of 3 hours per day, with a rest day every 4 days. I assume you don't charge for taxi time since you can't log 'instrument taxi time'?

michael95u
7th Dec 2009, 01:49
I have to say I have a TON of experience teaching a 10 day multi type of course. It is actually how I originally started my own business way back when. I had a 90% pass rate. I interviewed my students and if they didn't meet my criteria, I told them to expect it to take longer. I was working with 2-3 students per month. Is it tough to fly an AVERAGE of 4 hours per day (plus time for taxi, start up, etc)? Sure. But compared to my traditional students at the end of their training, my 10 day students were leaps and bounds ahead.

When you teach in an accelerated manner, it is full immersion. I liken it to going to France to learn to speak French. Sure, could you take a course once a night at a local college for 6 months? Yup. But in one month in France on your own you are going to be speaking and understanding French at a much higher level.

As for student's attention span, with over 3000 hours of flight instruction given, I have come across 2 people in that time that could not fly an average of 4 hours per day. Most students wanted to fly more!

Again, accelerated training at any school is not for every student. But for those who are looking for full immersion, a 10 day instrument course is the way to go!

Michael

SeattlePilot
7th Dec 2009, 02:48
Instrument rating in california? Hahaha .. That's for sissies.. :)
Come to Seattle and we will show you what real IFR is.. You will get out of here with more actual flight time than going through an entire Commercial program in FL/CA :)

CLAUDE-CPS
7th Dec 2009, 03:29
Bhenderson, yes probably a bit too colourfull !!! but no problem and in a certain way you are right to advise people to be carefull...time are so difficult for some flight school that they have the bad tendency to make unrealistic offer just to catch students...
10 days instrument...I have to insist...we are doing it !!!

SeattlePilot, you have choosen the wrong day.... we have snow this evening in Lakeport, CA while you have a clear sky at Seattle !!!! anyway, I agree with you....we have snow once every 3 years !!!

agnni
7th Dec 2009, 19:24
tough discussion..:rolleyes:....i have done my training from here..as an international student i am very satisfied with the school and training..i would strongly recommend to anyone..:ok:

michael95u
8th Dec 2009, 00:44
agnni-

which school are you talking about? :confused:

agnni
8th Dec 2009, 16:31
Career Pilot School LLC, Lake port ,CA.. Career Pilot School (http://www.careerpilotschool.com)

RoyHudd
8th Dec 2009, 20:32
Strange place. Caveat emptor.

agnni
8th Dec 2009, 21:41
Mazzei--Fresno:confused:

B2N2
9th Dec 2009, 22:04
10 day instrument course is the way to go
I beg to differ.
You can get a monkey to fly IFR in 10 days, yes you can.
But you can't teach understanding and knowledge in 10 days.
It's not only the flying, it's the academics. Simply knowing what you are doing instead of just flying the needles.
After 10 days they're at "monkey see, monkey do" level.
Not a real problem if you find an examiner that habitually asks the same questions on the oral and flies the same profile on every check ride.

*** Never mind, this thread is going nowhere ***

michael95u
9th Dec 2009, 23:23
B2N2:

I am sorry, but I take your post as you being very uninformed. A 10 day course CAN teach someone the academics AND the flying. But it depends on the school/instructor/student to do it the RIGHT way. I can tell you that I used five different DPE's when I taught a 10 day instrument course. They ALL told me that my 10-day students were more prepared for real world flying than any of the other students who were going the traditional route.

Aviation, at the professional level, is almost ALL accelerated training. How many long term type rating courses are out there? I know of MANY that are only 4-5 days long! Are they just doing monkey see, monkey do? If so, I think I will stick to flying myself instead of the airlines.

I could go on an on, but since you think this thread is going nowhere, I will leave it at that!

daviojk
10th Dec 2009, 04:41
Portal380, if you are looking in California, I would recommend you stopping by Angel City Flyers in Long Beach. They are a well set up school and use G1000 equipped DA40 & DA42s. I did my PPL with them & have just started my IR.

I did my PPL in 23 days (18 actual flying days), so they can work around your schedule if you are prepared & willingly to work hard. That was hard work. Doing an IR in 10days would be tough IMHO :eek:

Worth a look if you are over. Give Seosamh (prounonced Joesph, just replace the J with an S) a call. Helpful & friendly guy.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

michael95u
10th Dec 2009, 13:05
Looks like Portal380 chose Career Pilot School. I hope he can post his experiences with that school here on this forum to give everyone an insight into how the school works!

Portal380
11th Dec 2009, 02:32
Yes, I packed my suitcase and bought my ticket to San Francisco, I will be there in 10 days now and I will for sure give some feedback. If I like or not...the same way.

Daviojk, thank you for the tip but too late as you can see my choice is made, you seems so happy with this school that it sound you are working for them ? may be I will do one of my cross country near Long Beach, I will come to say hello to you.

daviojk
11th Dec 2009, 04:12
Oh so cynical! nope not an employee, just a happy customer! I am back in sydney, so wont be there. but fly in and have a meal at Da Vinci restaurant and admire the view

agnni
14th Dec 2009, 04:43
good decision Portal380....We all welcoming you to career Pilot school...fly high .....sky is just the beginning....:ok::)

barrow
15th Dec 2009, 23:49
BEWARE! There is a tag team effort to promote a particular flight school going on in this thread. I wouldn't call it bait n switch, but it's unethical in my opinion.
Anyone thinking of a pilot career needs to spend a considerable amount of time researching the schools who might or might not take you and your money to the cleaners. Always remember every flight school is a BUSINESS who cares about the bottom line $$$ only. In the USA always check with BBB (http://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/)

agnni
16th Dec 2009, 17:15
You Are Wrong Barrow...!!!!!! I Am A Simple & Happy Student Of This School And For Once That I Found People Who Are Not Cheating Me I Have No Reason To Stop Telling Good Things About Them....i See You Are In Sfo ,,,why Dont You Come And Visit The School,in This Way You Can Tell Me If I Am Right Or Wrong...:):)

buddys
19th Apr 2010, 19:46
I e-mailed Career Pilot School for some questions. No reply! Perhaps it's the busiest time of the year?